Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It's the best case scenario, especially for DC/I-66 and points south. There definitely has been a northward tick with the 00z runs. Hopefully it's just a blip and when the Euro comes out it'll hold serve. The 00z suite is the first set of models that has all of the energy well onshore and sample by the RAOB network so we should see the guidance get a better handle on things quickly.

CMC is best case scenario for everyone. Form VA to ME just about. It's the only model showing a HECS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

A little late here on this question, but any indication how that snow is "distributed" between the initial WAA and CCB parts?  Just curious.

It’s hard to pin for everyone because the rain snow line is moving north then sinking south. But for the DC metro and northern VA this is all snow from the WAA 

78AAA969-5C3B-45BB-AD6E-B275A55FD08F.thumb.png.02fbc97c7121aff54ec859fb0096e425.png
and this is snow from the CCB

4DEE4D3C-2CFC-490D-B350-96EAA68918D2.thumb.png.b94c9f99dbf03a98971564f4a8326343.png
so far tonight my only qualm for N VA would be the coastal capture is happening a little slower and that risks shifting the CCB northeast of the area if it develops too late.  But that’s always a risk with a miller b. The DC split. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

CMC cut back on the waa this run. 3 or 4 inches for everyone. 

Would that be the first sign that things are going wrong?  I remember a storm like this once about 10 years ago where we were supposed to get a foot and the next morning I had two inches and regular citizens in Philly were digging snow out of the stadium in order to have a football game.  

1 minute ago, blueberryfaygo said:

Would that be the first sign that things are going wrong?  I remember a storm like this once about 10 years ago where we were supposed to get a foot and the next morning I had two inches and regular citizens in Philly were digging snow out of the stadium in order to have a football game.  

The CMC just dumped over a foot of snow in your neighborhood.  There may be reasons to worry, but the CMC isn’t one of them.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s hard to pin for everyone because the rain snow line is moving north then sinking south. But for the DC metro and northern VA this is all snow from the WAA 

78AAA969-5C3B-45BB-AD6E-B275A55FD08F.thumb.png.02fbc97c7121aff54ec859fb0096e425.png
and this is snow from the CCB

4DEE4D3C-2CFC-490D-B350-96EAA68918D2.thumb.png.b94c9f99dbf03a98971564f4a8326343.png
so far tonight my only qualm for N VA would be the coastal capture is happening a little slower and that risks shifting the CCB northeast of the area if it develops too late.  But that’s always a risk with a miller b. The DC split. 

Thanks, PSU, that's an excellent and clear delineation there.

Depends where you live. I certainly dont like the trend at 0Z for my area. But up where you are you should be pretty happy. I had pretty low expectations for my area anyways. We always get screwed in Miller B's. ALWAYS. I was hoping to snag 6 inches with the waa. But that has trended down tonight as well. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Depends where you live. I certainly dont like the trend at 0Z for my area. But up where you are you should be pretty happy. I had pretty low expectations for my area anyways. We always get screwed in Miller B's. ALWAYS. I was hoping to snag 6 inches with the waa. But that has trended down tonight as well. 

Alright I'm confused here...we're seeing more favorable trends with the coastal/CCB, right? Now, is there some kind of inverse relationship with the WAA for areas like yours? (Apologies...just trying to visualize the scenarios here)

what worries me is I keep seeing that southern NJ jackpot... back in December a storm pivoted over the NE like this one.. and some people saw all time records.. the way this thing tucks and pivots tells me that their is going to be a isolated max potential area.

You are new, and welcome to the board, but storm mode is really not supposed to be for IMBY questions. Hit banter for that. We in Baltimore always have plenty to worry about, but that CMC run was not one of them. Who cares if southern NJ jacks if we have 15-20. Let's be real. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Alright I'm confused here...we're seeing more favorable trends with the coastal/CCB, right? Now, is there some kind of inverse relationship with the WAA for areas like yours? (Apologies...just trying to visualize the scenarios here)

WAA too weak and not as robust on early totals and coastal develops too late so no backside. His worry is the fail worry for any of us in a MillerB.  Magnified where he is because backside in a Miller B is harder to catch out that way.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

WAA too weak and not as robust on early totals and coastal develops too late so no backside. His worry is the fail worry for any of us in a MillerB.  Magnified where he is because backside in a Miller B is harder to catch out that way.  

Okay, I understand that...but what I'm saying is, does a weaker WAA mean an earlier coastal? Or are they not connected like that?

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Okay, I understand that...but what I'm saying is, does a weaker WAA mean an earlier coastal? Or are they not connected like that?

It can. And probably you should take this to banter. A weaker front end and a sloppy late transfer is a thing. Then the storm blows up north of our latitude. Cross your fingers, other than the NAM twins, nothing else really showing that. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

It can. And probably you should take this to banter. A weaker front end and a sloppy late transfer is a thing. Then the storm blows up north of our latitude. Cross your fingers, other than the NAM twins, nothing else really showing that. 

It’s alright if it’s here. This is good discussion between runs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Your backyard is seeing favorable trends with the coastal.  DC/NOVA isn’t, at least with the 00z suite so far except the CMC which just got NOVA into the coastal.  

The initial slug of moisture from the WAA going south isn’t necessarily indicative of the coastal deepening in a great location for NOVA on north...they are two separate things.  

That is more dependent on the orientation of the trough, strength of 500 low, etc. At least I think.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic