Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 3rd - 5th Potential strong stm threat

Brian D

4 hours ago, madwx said:

the pattern is shifting with this weekends storm.  The west based -NAO will become an east based -NAO.  That's why this storm will be able to cut much further west.

So it sounds like we needed a happy medium -NAO to get the last storm and this weekend's storm to stay stronger longer, without cutting too far west like this third storm is expected to?

It'll take some pretty wholesale changes to avoid rain in northern IL with this setup. I continue to hope that the operational ECMWF is too amped and to slow to swing the occluding cold front through. 00z Euro was slower than the ensemble mean and a good deal slower than the GFS's and the GEM.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, madwx said:

meanwhile the 12z GFSv16 has the trough ejecting much slower which allows it to be suppressed and drives a 986 low through Chicago

looks like 12z GEFS mean is around MLI then to just NW of MKE

a couple members SE of that since it seems N  IL gets more snow around this time on them

One thing about this system, if it does cut like it's modeled we could be in for a really bad time for flooding. 40's/50's with rain on top of a snowpack of potentially 12-18" over a large area sounds like a good way to get major flooding. Add in the frozen ground and ice on the lakes and yeah it's not looking good. To make matters worse, after this storm we could get really really cold. Like 2019 cold wave cold. I could easily see a situation where we have march 2019 style flooding with massive ice jams and then everything just refreezes. Hopefully this doesn't happen.

• Sad 1

On 1/28/2021 at 1:53 PM, Baum said:

no worries. one of my favorite winter storm keys comes into play here; the storm will be pushed south by the existing snowpack.

and quad cities AFD takes the bait:"THE DEPTH OF THE SNOW PACK ACROSS THE AREA (ESPECIALLY AFTER THE   
WEEKEND SYSTEM) 'SHOULD' PROVIDE A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK AND HELP  
ENHANCE THE DEPTH OF THE COLD AIR AHEAD OF THIS STORM SYSTEM. SUCH  
AN ENHANCEMENT SHOULD SUPPRESS ANY STORM TRACK EITHER OVER THE  
AREA OR TO THE SOUTH AND EAST.":weenie:

• Weenie 1

On 1/27/2021 at 1:49 PM, Brian D said:

My modelling is suggesting a potential strong storm developing. A clash of air masses with this one is more typical of early spring. Strong ridging to the E and NW of the region will allow energy from the W to be funneled NE through the lakes. I might get a chance to have another blizzard from this system, or at least someone might, along with thunderstorms for others. Hope this one pans out. Have a week to see what happens for sure.

Feb 3rd thru 6th stm potential.gif

18z GFS and my model looking the same. What it does from there we shall see. Pretty typical tho that I get the frigid air while others get stormy wx this time of year.

Feb 4 forecast map.gif

12 minutes ago, Baum said:

on the gfs.

... and the GFSv16, Canadian, and UK.

If the northern stream outruns/bypasses the southern stream, which is what models are beginning to show, then anything could happen after that.  The southern wave could get dragged along and sheared (tonight's UK), or it could hang way back and get picked up by the next northern stream wave (other models).

• Haha 1

Track notwithstanding, powerful trough/jet streak + good moisture transport + cold air dumping in behind = potential for a blockbuster storm should the trough ejection go properly here (00z UK is an example of how that can be screwed up). 00z parallel GFS was dumping some stupid numbers over NE and IA.

Edit: 00z Euro also an example of how the ejection can get screwed up.

• Like 1