• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

The 7H low really doesn't get going until its to the southeast of the area. It's fairly mature into the OH Valley, but then becomes discombobulated as it tries to pivot under the area. It doesn't get its act together until late, so the area just gets some passing snow showers. It's a much better run for NYC/LI as the low CCB gets cranking around CNJ and then moves north. It was close, but no cigar for the area. Still has a solid front end piece that will whiten the area and it's still colder than any GFS run in terms of thermals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

I realize that this is a bit of a complicated situation, but it's truly amazing that model consensus has actually been harder to come by as we've gotten closer!

They always are with Miller B events. You essentially hand off the surface, mid and upper levels from one storm to another.

• Like 1

The concerns we had all along are rearing their ugly heads. Now that the pieces of energy are coming onshore, models are clueing in on them. Biggest change from yesterday is the 500 pattern. Trough tilt has gone more positive and that will push the best forcing out of our area. Transfer delayed, not much phasing. Precip in two phases and no CCB. That will not get it done in a Miller B. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

This is the first time that the NAM nest has run through the WAA period, and it is certainly drier than the 12km NAM.  Still ~0.4" around DC, but that is actually somewhat of a jackpot zone.

Yeah, don't overlook this.    NAM nest was notably drier than the parent.   PWs seemed quite a bit lower over the source region for the moisture - not sure if it's correct, but I don't recommend completely dismissing it either.

• Like 5

Just now, umdterps29 said:

NAM is out of range AND still shows 6-10" for basically the whole region even without a crazy amount of backside precip and everyone on here is still freaking out... Baltimore City hasn't seen 5"+ in a really long time. I would personally be thrilled.

You’re talking too much sense for this board my friend. 6+ area wide is a really solid storm in a Nina. But hey, unless we get 1-2 feet, it’s a dud apparently. 

There's no mystery here on where we are headed.

Rewinding back to one of our great runs from earlier this week.  You've got a neutral trough right at our longitude and you've got a backside vort that is going to help dig and stall even more.  This is a great look for a big storm.

500hv.conus.thumb.png.abf2c7d0c35f49bb81b389961445becb.png

Then you have the NAM this morning.  Positively-tilted trough, not much help on the backside.  This is just a run-of-the-mill storm look around here.  

NAMUS_500_avort_084.png.b5ed1d5b7e8375acb5a2ce1383bda73c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, high risk said:

Yeah, don't overlook this.    NAM nest was notably drier than the parent.   PWs seemed quite a bit lower over the source region for the moisture - not sure if it's correct, but I don't recommend completely dismissing it either.

Let's not overlook that the NAM nest is still not in it's wheelhouse range. 

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

There's no mystery here on where we are headed.

Rewinding back to one of our great runs from earlier this week.  You've got a neutral trough right at our longitude and you've got a backside vort that is going to help dig and stall even more.  This is a great look for a big storm.

Then you have the NAM this morning.  Positively-tilted trough, not much help on the backside.  This is just a run-of-the-mill storm look around here.  

This was the biggest takeaway mulling over guidance this morning. This is shifting from any mega storm potential for around here. A solid WSW is still on table for sure, but 1'+ is looking less likely with the trough looking like that. 7H was meh until too late too

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

This was the biggest takeaway mulling over guidance this morning. This is shifting from any mega storm potential for around here. A solid WSW is still on table for sure, but 1'+ is looking less likely with the trough looking like that. 7H was meh until too late too

If you forced me to make a forecast right now, I'd put 2-4" for Sunday and another 1-2" with the 500 passage on Monday.  That's still a nice 3-6" storm with maybe a bit of upside given some of the other guidance.  

Its still going to snow :snowman:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic