Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

Just now, psuhoffman said:

That was going to end very well imo. The h5 was just about to pass under us and you can see hints of the precip breaking out in response. DC was going to get more snow after that run ended. It’s depressing looking because the run ended right before the ccb exploded.  That upper low and surface position there remind me of the lull in the Feb 11 2010 storm when everyone was freaking out then the upper level low caught up and boom. 

More amplified also means a nicer front end thump and I’m not that worried about temps it’s truly cold to start. The high res models are picking up on that.  I doubt the gfs mid to upper 30s nonsense. Might mix with sleet but so what.  

So I'm not crazy after all.  Weenie reads would have people thinking it was a complete disaster.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Am I missing something?  I was under the impression that the NAM was a disaster and then I go look at it and I'm like...huh?

5” on the ground then some sleet and that was about to crash and start dumping again as the slp was captured and tucking and the h5 was very amplified and about to pass into VA. The ccb was about to light up 

• Like 10
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was going to end very well imo. The h5 was just about to pass under us and you can see hints of the precip breaking out in response. DC was going to get more snow after that run ended. It’s depressing looking because the run ended right before the ccb exploded.  That upper low and surface position there remind me of the lull in the Feb 11 2010 storm when everyone was freaking out then the upper level low caught up and boom. 

More amplified also means a nicer front end thump and I’m not that worried about temps it’s truly cold to start. The high res models are picking up on that.  I doubt the gfs mid to upper 30s nonsense. Might mix with sleet but so what.  

In a perfect scenario I think we’d like to see a bit more of a surface reflection at 84, but you can start to see it and it will stall as the 500 comes close.  That 500 track looks good.  Better than the open wave GFS at that point.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

So I'm not crazy after all.  Weenie reads would have people thinking it was a complete disaster.

I’m telling you I’ve noticed that any run that shows mixing and people freak out. I got several hours of sleet near IAD in 96. It sleeted into PA in 2003. I got some sleet up here during the psuhoffman storm and briefly during the Feb 11 2010 hecs and for a bit during the 15” March 2018 storm. I loved every one of them. People need to get over seeing a panel with non blue over them during a storm. At least not to the point they ignore the bigger picture. 

• Like 10

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I’m telling you I’ve noticed that any run that shows mixing and people freak out. I got several hours of sleet near IAD in 96. It sleeted into PA in 2003. I got some sleet up here during the psuhoffman storm and briefly during the Feb 11 2010 hecs and for a bit during the 15” March 2018 storm. I loved every one of them. People need to get over seeing a panel with non blue over them during a storm. At least not to the point they ignore the bigger picture. 

Especially if the sleet is during the lull after the WAA anyway.  You aren’t “wasting” much precip.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Let’s be fair here. Any runs that show a more southern outcome ... you freak out. That’s when you somehow stop seeing the bigger picture. But I totally understand. This is an imby sport. But it works both ways.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Weird you got sleet in Feb 11, 2010. I don't remember any sleet with that one. Seemed like a straight cold powder bomb, but maybe I'm not remembering right. Maybe there was a lull with sleet in the middle.

I think recency bias is part of the issue. I don't remember sleet in any of the 2009-2010 storms, and not in the 2016 storm either. I got sleet in 2003, but it was at the end and I was in College Park, which got less (and always seems to) than the surrounding area anyway.

You also tend to remember the great part of the storms and the end result more than anything that happened during it, though when you are getting sleeted on, it is agonizing waiting for the changeover. It was torture waiting for the changeover in January 2011, and then it dumped like 8 inches in three hours.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

In a perfect scenario I think we’d like to see a bit more of a surface reflection at 84, but you can start to see it and it will stall as the 500 comes close.  That 500 track looks good.  Better than the open wave GFS at that point.

Even that gfs gave us 4-8” from the wrap around from DC north so... looking at the fgen and 850 winds at 84 hrs and seeing that band running along the PA line back into WV starting to pivot and develop south in WV in response to the upper level low catching up...I think that was going to pivot slowly across N VA and MD in the next 12 hours had that run continued. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Let’s be fair here. Any runs that show a more southern outcome ... you freak out. That’s when you somehow stop seeing the bigger picture. But I totally understand. This is an imby sport. But it works both ways.

I'd think a more southern outcome should make us all sweat a little bit...since psu dropped that bit about an outside chance it gets too far south and misses the transfer. @psuhoffman correct me if I interpreted that wrong.

20 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It depends. If the heaviest band is in northern Md I’d say this run will get an A+ rating. Time will tell. :lol:

Nam is likely too north with that feature but even if that’s the case look at the mid level winds and h5 track. That’s the northern extent you’re looking at there and it’s about to pivot back southeast. Look at the last 2 frames you can see it happening in WV. 

• Like 1

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Icon is juiced again . Lays down 18" around the m/d line ....20"+ in York . 

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Icon is juiced again . Lays down 18" around the m/d line ....20"+ in York . 

Looks like almost 18” from Baltimore metro north and 24+ in York. Wild

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

5 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Edit: Sorry SV maps overdo snow when it’s too warm so I never know how accurate it is for this model 

3F14EFB8-57C4-49A0-B120-786E84B4849A.png

Columbia deathband is alive and well!!! Going to see how the mesos handle this within 60 to see if I’m going down to Howard county for this one or not. 

• Like 1

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic