Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

WAA always gets here faster. And for us out here, is the one precip scenario that usually exceeds expectations.

This. WAA thump is where it's at for many. Coastal will do whatever it does, probably favor the usual places. LONG LIVE THE WAA!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Still the best example of this in my experience is Feb. 2003 PD-II.  That came in like a wall of snow.  The other big ones since have been similar, starting up quickly, but PD-II was the most dramatic.

Yup. I remember waking up in Philly on the day of the event. It was supposed to start at like 3:00 pm but it was 7:00 am and light snow was already falling. 

Is my hope of a stall and retrograde even possible?

Yup! Retrograde at least but I don’t see the full capture to induce a stall. However, could very well be a crawler for several hours with a N or NNW trajectory. This almost reminds me of 2006 vibes with regards to the 5H low as the low kind of waited for the ULL pivot through VA before finally kicking out of here. It has that potential and that was special for many.

Note to readers: I am NOT saying this is 2006 by any means. Different synoptic pattern. Just the ULL progression and waiting aspect

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I never saw a 72 event:lmao:. Which model ? but Euro has been consistent with a 42-48 event with nonstop precip of some sort.  Pretty impressive even if it's prediction is off a bit . Heck 24-30 hours is alot of fun .

I think it was the 12z euro yesterday that you missed, had snow from Sunday to Wednesday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Still the best example of this in my experience is Feb. 2003 PD-II.  That came in like a wall of snow.  The other big ones since have been similar, starting up quickly, but PD-II was the most dramatic.

It was a total beat down. I also remember the January 1996 also was a sprint from the start but PD-II is #1

2/9-10, 2010 also had 20 inches of snow on the ground to start. I have no clue why but when we have snow already around it seems to alter systems. 96 had a clipper that turned into a 6 inch storm also with 2 feet on the ground.  
If this thing now has a primary in Ohio and a transfer near Delaware we will be using a broom to sweep our 1-2 inches while NYC gets 18 inches

o

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

2/9-10, 2010 also had 20 inches of snow on the ground to start. I have no clue why but when we have snow already around it seems to alter systems. 96 had a clipper that turned into a 6 inch storm also with 2 feet on the ground.  
If this thing now has a primary in Ohio and a transfer near Delaware we will be using a broom to sweep our 1-2 inches while NYC gets 18 inches

o

Right now a transfer is off the NC coast. I know its the NAM at range, but you can see it starting down near ILM on the final panel. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

o

That has little practical effect on snowstorms other than possibly maintaining a cooler temp leading up to the event.

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic