Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

DC is in the dryslot from 96 hours to 116 which is when temps support rain. There is virtually no precip. Temps do warm to the mid 30s but I doubt that melts all the ~5” that fell in the general DC area. Probably compressed it down to 2-3” but that would happen frankly after ANY storm ends in a storm we don’t have Arctic air behind it.  Think of it as 2 storms. A 5” snow followed by a 2-4” storm 15 hours later, yes with some melting in between. It’s probably 2-3” of frozen slush with 2-4” of powder on top (even with mediocre surface temps snow under that upper low would be high ratio fluff) in the end. That’s like the 3rd best snowstorm in DC the last 6 years!!!  And that’s the “disaster”. 

You’re talking about the GFS right?  Not the storm as depicted by the Euro/EPS?

6 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

seems to be some slight tics East since the 12z runs.....  starting with the 12z Euro Ens, now the 18z Euro Ens and the NavGEM for what its worth.......all just noise at this point

Sounds like Boston should be worried 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So the gamut of solutions ~90 hours out includes total whiffs, and/or a mostly rain event (with over an inch of QPF)... I wish I could get more excited, but this is FAR from a 2016 setup, it appears.

I am rooting for the GFS... just give me a 2-4 inch WAA snow, then maybe another 1-2 inches with the wrap-around showers, the Euro is threading a needle that is more likely to go the JMA/KMA/NAVGEM route.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Hurricanegiants said:

Very true. Very true 

That's true but one would think, being a national meteorologist with his audience, he'd give portrayals of these storms in totality and without discrimination. I love how he delivers his analysis but I too have noticed the northern MA and New England bias and hearing him today actually got me quite concerned.

4 minutes ago, SnowDreamer said:

The 10:1 map is pretty and all, but this right here is a tear-jerker...

Sorry it's low quality, I had to shrink it a bit since it snows for 48 hours:weenie:

maybe.gif

This looks beautiful. I'm assuming the only reason we aren't being blued/yellowed is because it's an ensemble run? That's my main issue. Our big storms, the deform and even WAA snows show 1-2 inches an hour, sometimes even higher. This shows like a quarter inch to a half inch an hour.

• Sad 1

Just now, Hypothetical 240 hour snow said:

So the gamut of solutions ~90 hours out includes total whiffs, and/or a mostly rain event (with over an inch of QPF)... I wish I could get more excited, but this is FAR from a 2016 setup, it appears.

The Euro (which has verified the most this year) is consistently showing a big hit, and even the GFS showed significant snow at 18z. What are you talking about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hypothetical 240 hour snow said:

There is no reputable model that is a total whiff or mostly rain.  Even the “disaster” GFS is 3-6” WAA/dry slot or rain to snow showers on the back-end.  

Yes, this is not locked in by any means to a solution but its hard to argue against the consistency of the EPS.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

This looks beautiful. I'm assuming the only reason we aren't being blued/yellowed is because it's an ensemble run? That's my main issue. Our big storms, the deform and even WAA snows show 1-2 inches an hour, sometimes even higher. This shows like a quarter inch to a half inch an hour.

This is the control run not a mean. 

I am beginning to think the best case scenario is the GFS, the JMA/KMA are very concerning (and they typically assimilate PAC data better)

Lol the JMA. I’d recommend if you’re gonna be pessimistic over this threat, to at least use good models to do so. And do it in banter.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Wentzadelphia said:

This is the control run not a mean. 

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

History also shows that these type storm tend to juice up more as we get closer assuming the low forms in the right place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

There is no reputable model that is a total whiff or mostly rain.  Even the “disaster” GFS is 3-6” WAA/dry slot or rain to snow showers on the back-end.  

Yes, this is not locked in by any means to a solution but its hard to argue against the consistency of the EPS.

Agree with this but there is still variability among the individual members so the mean should be taken with that in mind. 

37 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

This is exactly what we needed. 

I liked 6z and 12z better. More tucked slp. An escape southeast and late capture is by far the biggest threat to missing a big snow if your north of DC. Places southeast of DC would wave that but honestly if your more then 20 miles east of 95 you have to mix for places west of the fall line to get a huge snowstorm. I hate to be brutally honest but in almost every HECS for places like Winchester or IAD or me and mappy southeast of 95 has to mix.  That doesn’t mean the can’t get a lot of snow. But sorry the eastern shore and the blue ridge aren’t both getting 20” snowstorms. If lower MD is getting a 20” pure snow I am probably smoking cirrus. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

At this range I think you'd have to say anything is still on the table but I'm seeing 4 most possible scenarios. 

1. The system stays a bit further north. We get a thump of snow Sunday but then the transfer to the coast occurs sloppy and north, leading to us getting some rain and maybe eventually ending as some wrap around snow showers as the storm pulls off. Basically something like what the GFS has been touting. 

2. The coastal transfer to our southeast as being shown by the Euro. All would start as a thump of snow later on Sunday, but from there are the different outcomes. 

2a. The coastal stays in the best placement off shore being not too close but not too far and we get our big one we are hoping for. 

2b. The coastal hugs too far west and leads to a mix or changeover to rain for the height of the storm. 

2c. The coastal is too far east, keeping the bulk of the precipitation out of our areas. 

Also, 2016 was pretty rare. Not often does this area have the ability to nail down a monster snowstorm from distance with no real concerns over details. Expecting every, or any, big winter storms to be as easy as that was is a pipe dream in most cases. 

• Like 1

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic