Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

54 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

To start off.. this is my biggest takeaway from that run. This is all the snow that accumulates before mixing issues reach even EZF. If we get 6-8" before worrying about the costal.. that's a colossal win

ecmwf-deterministic-md-snow_24hr_kuchera-2180800.thumb.png.b06a70ce72f6c6392a8380c88274f672.png

Here's the EPS through this part of the storm. Keep in mind this is in 10:1, and even in the EPS the mean is starting off the storm with temps in the upper 20s. Even in 10:1 it shows the potential for a pretty great WAA thump. Really nice that the other half (and more) of the snow mean for the general DC area comes from after this.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-ma-snow_48hr-2180800.thumb.png.093ce8df77fddbdd432f935c02b9a836.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It takes 24 hours for the low to travel from the Outer Banks to the South Jersey coast on the Op. That is an epic track for almost all of us west of the Bay with that cold air in place. 

I need you to dial this back a little LOL. I don’t like being in the jackpot area until after the storm :lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Two other things on the backside vort.  The GFS has it, but like the 00z Euro run, it is too late to help slow/wrap up the UL low over us.

And, the vort energy appears to be over Japan right now, so we are going to be waiting to see how the models handle it the rest of the week.

Thanks for pointing this feature out. I've seen a few Twitter mets mention it as well, so I'm wondering if that accounts for all or most of the GFS/Euro divide, and not necessarily the strength of the main low or it's position? In other words, is it fair to say there is reasonable (maybe not complete) agreement across guidance for the main UL low until it gets off the coast, but that guidance diverges when handling whether/how the backside vort interacts with the UL low?

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The CIPS analogs have almost every HECS. What’s impressive is they are based on the gfs ensemble. So obviously their indicating the gfs is a “but off” right now. 

Can you post a link to that please?  I can't find the link to that in my weather library of links lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WinterFire said:

Thanks for pointing this feature out. I've seen a few Twitter mets mention it as well, so I'm wondering if that accounts for all or most of the GFS/Euro divide, and not necessarily the strength of the main low or it's position? In other words, is it fair to say there is reasonable (maybe not complete) agreement across guidance for the main UL low until it gets off the coast, but that guidance diverges when handling whether/how the backside vort interacts with the UL low?

To my weenie eyes, one of the key differences is the strength of the vort as it crosses the country.  Euro holds/strengthens as it nears our area which combined with a coastal transfer near OBX + backside energy to capture/slow it down.  GFS is initially closed off over the Midwest but then just opens/shears as it heads east.  GFS then transfers too far north/pops a coastal low at/north our latitude and the backside UL low swings through and closes off with the SLP too far offshore/north of our latitude.  

6 minutes ago, WinterFire said:

The good thing is that this isn't some crazy setup.  We have a nice big trough crossing the country and there will be a traditional transfer from a dying OH valley surface low to an East Coast low.  The GFS keeps the trough more positively tilted as the axis gets towards 95, which is more of a large-scale pattern issue.  The backside vort may help there, but it isn't the whole story (it is never one thing, of course).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nj2va said:

To my weenie eyes, one of the key differences is the strength of the vort as it crosses the country.  Euro holds/strengthens as it nears our area which combined with a coastal transfer near OBX + backside energy to capture/slow it down.  GFS is initially closed off over the Midwest but then just opens/shears as it heads east.  GFS then transfers too far north/pops a coastal low at/north our latitude and the backside UL low swings through and closes off with the SLP too far offshore/north of our latitude.  

15 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The good thing is that this isn't some crazy setup.  We have a nice big trough crossing the country and there will be a traditional transfer from a dying OH valley surface low to an East Coast low.  The GFS keeps the trough more positively tilted as the axis gets towards 95, which is more of a large-scale pattern issue.  The backside vort may help there, but it isn't the whole story (it is never one thing, of course).

Thanks! I'm trying to learn more how to parse the upstream differences in model runs, so this is very helpful. I guess one question is would a faster movement of the backside vort prompt a negative tilt in the GFS progression or help it to slow down and close off south of our latitude? 

Though of course "it is never one thing" could really be the motto of this hobby, so I'm probably trying to oversimplify here haha

Feeling pretty good right now about my general location for this one. Central MD into NoVA in general looks prime here. Far enough north for solid temps, far enough SSE to get in on solid QPF. I’d be worried if I lived NNW of the MD/ PA border about a crazy cutoff for sure. 

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic