Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2021 General Discussion

madwx

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

There was absolutely more snow in southeast MI than northern lower MI last week. However with the melting at home and some fresh snow up here it was a nice few days. The lackluster snow season in northern MI, combined with a good Feb in southeast MI, meant a big snow trip was really not in the cards this year so just went up for a few days and got to see some elk!

IMG_20210225_222951_927.jpg

Seeing the elk is pretty cool up there, been a few years since we’ve done that. Snow wise definitely not the best winter for it here in the mitt. With flights as cheap as they are right now this could have been a good year to fly out west and go check out some serious snow depths in the mountains. Or drive over to Chicago a week or so back. Deepest snow depth I had here at home was last week with about 12”-13”, up north at our place at Higgins it’s fluctuated between 10” and 18” since mid December with it peaking this past weekend. For as bad as it’s been there really hasn’t been any major thaws up north until this week which is really unusual so whatever snow did fall up there hasn’t really melted until this week. 

• Thanks 1

I'll admit I don't pay attention to the weather when it's boring as hell...but woke up this morning, checked out the p&c forecast and saw a forecasted high of 47˚ for today. Not too bad. Will go with the light jacket at work today. Well, that busted, lol. Only made it to 38˚ today. Still a decent amount of snow around here. Couldn't have helped I'm sure. Tomorrow's forecast is 56˚. I'll bring my light and medium jacket...just in case. :D 

• Haha 1

With no additional snowfall accumulation expected in the final days of the month, February 2021 will finish as the 9th snowiest February on record for Chicago...

Top 10 snowiest February's...

1. 29.0" - 2011

2. 27.8" - 1896

3. 26.8" - 2015

4. 26.2" - 1994

5. 22.6" - 1900

6. 22.5" - 2010

6. 22.5" - 1967

8. 21.8" - 2008

9. 21.6" - 2021

10. 21.1" - 1901

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

With no additional snowfall accumulation expected in the final days of the month, February 2021 will finish as the 9th snowiest February on record for Chicago...

Top 10 snowiest February's...

1. 29.0" - 2011

2. 27.8" - 1896

3. 26.8" - 2015

4. 26.2" - 1994

5. 22.6" - 1900

6. 22.5" - 2010

6. 22.5" - 1967

8. 21.8" - 2008

9. 21.6" - 2021

10. 21.1" - 1901

Half of the list since 2008 :snowing:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madwx said:

Got 15 mins of nice aggregates about a half hour ago.  Nice treat for my first night in my house 

Congrats on the new house :thumbsup:

Looks like we have a chance at our first 50 degree reading today.  Even though the snow is still quite deep you don't have to go too far to the south to get completely out of it, so that should help with temps.  

Next weekend or early the following week the first 60 degree day looks likely.  The Euro shows 60s all the way to the UP by then as well.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Danny8 said:

Still over 9" snow depth (glacier depth) in my backyard in Chicago's Irving Park neighborhood. Just amazing snowpack in the city this month.

My yard is pretty shaded but the neighbors depth seems pretty similar.

Can definitely see the reverse gradient even more now driving to/from work in the suburbs. Lots of grass showing out there  but we still have deep piles in the city. Despite most roads being snow-free now, people are somehow still claiming dibs on parking.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 8:15 AM, slow poke said:

Seeing the elk is pretty cool up there, been a few years since we’ve done that. Snow wise definitely not the best winter for it here in the mitt. With flights as cheap as they are right now this could have been a good year to fly out west and go check out some serious snow depths in the mountains. Or drive over to Chicago a week or so back. Deepest snow depth I had here at home was last week with about 12”-13”, up north at our place at Higgins it’s fluctuated between 10” and 18” since mid December with it peaking this past weekend. For as bad as it’s been there really hasn’t been any major thaws up north until this week which is really unusual so whatever snow did fall up there hasn’t really melted until this week. 

My peak depth at home was 15". While up there we visited a friend's place in Cheboygan and it was beautiful because they had just had a fresh 5" snowfall but you could tell by the depth that before that new snow they had way less on the ground than we had had that week.  Everything's relative, but since we have months of snow off and on to play in at home, when I go up North I typically like to see the mind boggling depths. This year was just not happening, so hopefully if next year is a more normal northern Michigan Winter I will head to the Keweenaw. 

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Made it to 50 both here and at MLI this afternoon.  Lots of peeps out walking/jogging and hanging out in their garages.  Spring fever in full swing fo sho.

58 here, got my smoker going with two racks of ribs, and spring fever is in full swing here too. Ready to turn the page on spring. Just started a fire in the back yard. Bring it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Half of the list since 2008 :snowing:

With a 147 year span of record, I have NEVER seen any ranking of any kind more crazy than the snowiest Feb lists. It's mind boggling really. 

Detroits snowiest Febs

1.) 38.4" - 1908

2.) 31.7" - 2011

3.) 28.4" - 1881

4.) 28.0" - 1900

4.) 28.0" - 1926

6.) 27.0" - 2010

7.) 26.4" - 2015

8.) 24.2" - 2008

9.) 23.5" - 2013

10.) 23.4" - 2014

11.) 21.8" - 2021

12.) 21.0" - 2018

13.) 20.8" - 1986

14.) 19.6" - 1898

15.) 19.2" - 2003

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

My peak depth at home was 15". While up there we visited a friend's place in Cheboygan and it was beautiful because they had just had a fresh 5" snowfall but you could tell by the depth that before that new snow they had way less on the ground than we had had that week.  Everything's relative, but since we have months of snow off and on to play in at home, when I go up North I typically like to see the mind boggling depths. This year was just not happening, so hopefully if next year is a more normal northern Michigan Winter I will head to the Keweenaw. 

Thats crazy about Northern Michigan. On the other side of Lake Huron/Georgian Bay in Muskoka, Parry Sound, Algonquin there's 25-40" of snow on the ground. 

• Like 1

Ended up tied for the 12th coldest February here.  The mild last week brought us warmer than 2014 and 2015.  Snowfall was slightly below average(10.4" vs the 12.4" average) but precip overall was about half of average (0.8" vs 1.5" average).

• Thanks 1