• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2021 General Discussion

madwx

To state that the turnaround in snowfall at ORD has been impressive would be an understatement.  Few winters that started off as slowly as 2020-21 turn around so dramatically so quickly.  A few other similar turnarounds are listed below.  The 2020-21 change is even more impressive imo because it has been done without an ultra big dog storm on the scale of what occurred in early January 1999 and early February 2015.

2020-21:  

Snowfall through 12/31:  3.5"

Snowfall through 2/9:  32.5"

(Final Snowfall total:  ???)

2014-15:

Snowfall through 12/31:  2.9"

Snowfall through 2/9:  36.7"

(Final Snowfall total:  50.7")

2004-05:  

Snowfall through 12/31:  5.7"

Snowfall through 2/9:  33.9"

(Final Snowfall total:  39.4")

1998-99:

Snowfall through 12/31:  1.2"

Snowfall through 2/9:  30.8"

(Final Snowfall total:  50.9")

1938-39:

Snowfall through 12/31:  3.7"

Snowfall through 2/9:  28.4"

(Final Snowfall total:  33.9")

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

To state that the turnaround in snowfall at ORD has been impressive would be an understatement.  Few winters that started off as slowly as 2020-21 turn around so dramatically so quickly.  A few other similar turnarounds are listed below.  The 2020-21 change is even more impressive imo because it has been done without an ultra big dog storm on the scale of what occurred in early January 1999 and early February 2015.

2020-21:  

Snowfall through 12/31:  3.5"

Snowfall through 2/9:  32.5"

2014-15:

Snowfall through 12/31:  2.9"

Snowfall through 2/9:  36.7"

2004-05:

Snowfall through 12/31:  5.7"

Snowfall through 2/9:  33.9"

1998-99:

Snowfall through 12/31:  1.2"

Snowfall through 2/9:  30.8"

1938-39:

Snowfall through 12/31:  3.7"

Snowfall through 2/9:  28.4"

Note that 4 of these historic types of turnarounds have happened within the last 25 years.  Could simply be good luck or perhaps there is a reason that a super slow start is not quite the death sentence that it used to be.  Can speculate as to why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I noticed the February F6 for ORD is way off.  It's showing 13.3" of snow this month when in reality there has been 7.0"

12 hours ago, madwx said:

MSN has a similar issue.  Shows 5.3" this month when there's only been 3.7"

6 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

I just noticed that today too and it almost screwed me up doing a phone interview with the Sun Times.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Add DTW to the list. Show 7.5" but the monthly totals 6.2". Maybe it's some sort of nws glitch?

Add DTW to the list. Show 7.5" but the monthly totals 6.2". Maybe it's some sort of nws glitch?
For some reason, the new climate program added totals from 1/31 to the February F6 form. The amount is correct in table above but the listing below is where the program is erroneously adding in 1/31 amounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

For some reason, the new climate program added totals from 1/31 to the February F6 form. The amount is correct in table above but the listing below is where the program is erroneously adding in 1/31 amounts.

Interesting. I notice the same for December. Shows 11.0" but we had 9.6"...it added November 30th 1.4. I wonder if they can fix it? Whenever you have snow on the last day of the month it will make the next month wrong lol.

Interestingly, it still counts the snow properly for the last day of the month (ie Nov 3.5, Dec 11.0...should be Nov 3.5 Dec 9.6. And then Jan 6.4, Feb 7.5...should be Jan 6.4, Feb 6.2). So anytime measurable snow falls on the last day of the month, it counts it twice. Although that's only an f6 issue, climate reports remain correct.

29 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Interesting. I notice the same for December. Shows 11.0" but we had 9.6"...it added November 30th 1.4. I wonder if they can fix it? Whenever you have snow on the last day of the month it will make the next month wrong lol.

Interestingly, it still counts the snow properly for the last day of the month (ie Nov 3.5, Dec 11.0...should be Nov 3.5 Dec 9.6. And then Jan 6.4, Feb 7.5...should be Jan 6.4, Feb 6.2). So anytime measurable snow falls on the last day of the month, it counts it twice. Although that's only an f6 issue, climate reports remain correct.

That's the problem with CoCoRaHS observations. I've been doing it since 2006, and it's a great way to keep IMBY records. However, when I take a 7AM reading, it records it for that day. The result is that if 2" of snow (or rain) falls on the last day of the month, it is actually recorded at on the first day of the next month. But at least we don't count it twice. lol

Anyway, to keep my personal records accurate, I have to make notes concerning such events, because I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to check my gauges.

• Like 1

We emailed the regional climate focal point who is in touch with the climate program developers, hopefully there's a fix soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

That's the problem with CoCoRaHS observations. I've been doing it since 2006, and it's a great way to keep IMBY records. However, when I take a 7AM reading, it records it for that day. The result is that if 2" of snow (or rain) falls on the last day of the month, it is actually recorded at on the first day of the next month. But at least we don't count it twice. lol

Anyway, to keep my personal records accurate, I have to make notes concerning such events, because I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to check my gauges.

I'm a nws coop observer since 2004 so i do the EXACT same thing!!!! I make notes due to the obs time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighTechEE said:

Not sure if anyone has posted this or not yet from the 12z GFS 16 day total snow, BUT I've never ever seen this much fantasy/eye candy snow modeled for SW Ohio before! This is in the HOLY SH*T category, 3tf for SW Ohio in the next 16days, hell if half that falls it would set records!!!

12Z GFS 16 Day Super Eye Candy Snowfall SW Ohio Feb 10-26 2021.JPG

I don’t even need to see the northern plains section of this map to know it’ll be damn close to a shutout here with everything suppressed south. Oh well, might as well freeze Lake Superior over.

21 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I don’t even need to see the northern plains section of this map to know it’ll be damn close to a shutout here with everything suppressed south. Oh well, might as well freeze Lake Superior over.

It would be funny if Louisiana got more snow than you the rest of the month.