MRX has pulled the plug. It's over. Disco: 

Frustrating but also interesting how this system evolved this
evening. The dynamics that the synoptic models where depicting
across the region, especially southwest Virginia and northeast
Tennessee quickly translated across the Carolinas and eventually
Virginia. One clue of this quick translation was the strong
pressure rises over the Tennessee valley. Currently strong
pressure rises are occuring across much of area with deep cold/dry
air advection limiting precipitation development.

End result, snowfall will be less and limited to southwest
Virginia and far east Tennessee Mountains. Have canceled the
winter weather advisories for the northern Plateau and much of
northeast Tennessee valley locations.

Began snowing here at 8:35. Big flakes early that dusted grass a little then went to rather small flakes. Temps down to 33. A bust so far. Kind of was afraid precip might get pulled across mountains close to and within lp . Mentioned that earlier. Parts of KY doing pretty decent . It's the weakened gap between the two, the great valley.

Well that was interesting. First John is right the tail end was mostly under radar. Interesting system had a deep DGZ (dendrite growth zone, on sounding) which was closer to the ground late. 

Speaking of that rich DGZ, it was ideal across Kentucky and northwest Tenn. Sounding was nearly saturated at temps between -10 and -20 from around 700 mb up through 500 mb IIRC; I just remember it was rich. Didn't look too hard since Chatty was out, but I quickly double checked after seeing those half-dollar flakes out west. 850/700 mb were the cold side but still ideal. 500 mb was that -23C maximum production temp. It was a textbook DGZ beautiful...

Until what started out looking like an over-achiever outran the low level cold air. Low level CAA had surprised me into Nashville. Of course it could not make it over the Plateau. Of course downslope was fierce in the Great Valley. DGZ followed the wave aloft, but was wasted on a warm boundary layer. Oh Kingsport, welcome to Chattanooga pain! 

I'm guessing Johnson City on the other side did a little better overnight, unless moisture departed too quickly. Any JC reports?

MRX discussion says it well. So the CAA was great west of the Plateau but pressure rises (wind direction too) hurt east. So it's always a zero sum game in the South? Be nice to get a region wide win.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Well that was interesting. First John is right the tail end was mostly under radar. Interesting system had a deep DGZ (dendrite growth zone, on sounding) which was closer to the ground late. 

Speaking of that rich DGZ, it was ideal across Kentucky and northwest Tenn. Sounding was nearly saturated at temps between -10 and -20 from around 700 mb up through 500 mb IIRC; I just remember it was rich. Didn't look too hard since Chatty was out, but I quickly double checked after seeing those half-dollar flakes out west. 850/700 mb were the cold side but still ideal. 500 mb was that -23C maximum production temp. It was a textbook DGZ beautiful...

Until what started out looking like an over-achiever outran the low level cold air. Low level CAA had surprised me into Nashville. Of course it could not make it over the Plateau. Of course downslope was fierce in the Great Valley. DGZ followed the wave aloft, but was wasted on a warm boundary layer. Oh Kingsport, welcome to Chattanooga pain! 

I'm guessing Johnson City on the other side did a little better overnight, unless moisture departed too quickly. Any JC reports?

MRX discussion says it well. So the CAA was great west of the Plateau but pressure rises (wind direction too) hurt east. So it's always a zero sum game in the South? Be nice to get a region wide win.

Got a Lt. dusting in JC. . Dusting at my home in Jonesville, Lee Co. VA but, just a couple miles north, 2 to 3" across Northern Lee as they got in somewhat on that south end of the large synoptic area that moved through KY. A shot from my home looking North . Stone Mtn. along Ky border snow covered.

20210128_102328.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1