Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Watching closely .. February 1-3rd for moderate to major coastal event

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Drz1111 said:

If it's real, then that explains why your numbers are being cut a bit.  Subsidence and a not-particularly-favorable-wind-for-upslope.   But I dunno - with how occluded the broader low will be, I feel like it's going to play much more like an upslope event under an upper low?  I don't see the forcing by the coast after the main WAA band lifts north.  We shall see. 

If that rejuvenation is real, then that would make me increase the numbers up there not cut them back. 

• Like 1

Just now, Drz1111 said:

If it's real, then that explains why your numbers are being cut a bit.  Subsidence and a not-particularly-favorable-wind-for-upslope.   But I dunno - with how occluded the broader low will be, I feel like it's going to play much more like an upslope event under an upper low?  I don't see the forcing by the coast after the main WAA band lifts north.  We shall see. 

I get upslope enhancement from the NW, N, NE, and E directions. So that's not an issue here. I think the 18z just blows up the GOM low a little later and less strongly than 12z. Still 20" here so no complaints.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If that rejuvenation is real, then that would make me increase the numbers up there not cut them back. 

I freely admit to being new to forecasting up here.  Spent much of the last few days combing through the reanalysis of some of the big Portland storms, and they kind of look like this, but also kind of not?  It's not so easy to find a good analog.

Anyways down in NYC, if you get a big CCB band going over NYC, it tends to steal from the Catskills.  Those CCB processes tend to be more zero sum, and driven by random chance as opposed to topography.  Whereas the LLJ/WWA processes are more generous to everyone and upslope (normally) always wins. 

16 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

Ahhhh the Final tune was Spain, by Chick Corea.  Before it was If I ain't got You by Alicia Keys.  Another one was Panarea, a South American Tune.  Bella Chitarra, a Jazz Waltz.  Ahhhhh what else, La Vie en Rose with the Violinist.  Or the Romanian tune, which was the Fast Duo tune we did.  

Chick Corea! Totally makes sense now, that's the one. 

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Traditionally a good sign, IMO.

Water vapor imagery shows us a large upper level disturbance over Tennessee right now that is pivoting along the base of the large long wave trough.  This energy is pushing the coastal low off of the SC coastline and allow it to rapidly intensify.  I believe the models have been too focused on the northern upper low that is decaying rapidly now over Northern IN and OH and will allow the southern portion of the upper trough to spark coastal development in the southern low.  Also perhaps why the precip might be more progressive than originally thought.  At least initially until the southern low takes over.  Lightning is igniting with the energy at the base of the upper trough, not with the northern portion.  Therefore the imagery shows why a colder scenario could unfold further down the road and not focus on the warmer guidance.  Although, I will probably rain no matter what.

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Water vapor imagery shows us a large upper level disturbance over Tennessee right now that is pivoting along the base of the large long wave trough.  This energy is pushing the coastal low off of the SC coastline and allow it to rapidly intensify.  I believe the models have been too focused on the northern upper low that is decaying rapidly now over Northern IN and OH and will allow the southern portion of the upper trough to spark coastal development in the southern low.  Also perhaps why the precip might be more progressive than originally thought.  At least initially until the southern low takes over.  Lightning is igniting with the energy at the base of the upper trough, not with the northern portion.  Therefore the imagery shows why a colder scenario could unfold further down the road and not focus on the warmer guidance.  Although, I will probably rain no matter what.

You spoke like an on air met, very serious, until the last sentence which made me laugh... and is true. Well done. 

Just now, 78Blizzard said:

TWC forecasting 3-5" for Boston.  I guess they are riding the old GFS, CMC and the Ukie, and giving zero play to the PARA, the NAM, even the 12z and18z Euro, among others like HRRR and RAP.  Don't get it.

The models in general are focusing their energy on the northern upper low which has been decaying the last several hours, the surface low has filled and is the same pressure as the southern low.  The two surface centers are in different modes of intensification and weakening processes.  The low you want to focus on is the strengthening low and that low is focused along the coastline of SE South Carolina with the previous pressure falls favoring southeast of the Cape Hatteras region.  Also the lowest pressure readings are in the 1007.0-1007.9mb range which is from Myrtle Beach to Charleston, SC at this hour.  Also the high over near Hudson Bay, Canada is not weakening.