Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Watching closely .. February 1-3rd for moderate to major coastal event

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Think we mix here or do we go real wet snow for a time? I thought we were pretty good for 6-10 but can’t really afford anymore ticks 

Might mix given current guidance but I could see some front end paste before any light rain moves in. Still some time to go either way.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m not even sure it’s a firehose, or one that we think of. Almost looks like a big area of lift moving north and a 9hr thump. 

Almost looks like a firehose north of a bent-back ML warm front. The fetch from the east on the north side of it is really impressive.

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

No. must be here.

I wouldn't worry about it in our area, most of what we get is from the first part/phase as the storm is taking shape E of the delmarva. By the time it winds up and E MA/RI and possibly E/NE CT is getting pummled with the 2nd part its over for us. From what ive seen on rays map its pretty much in agreement with 6-10 and i have 6-12 but highlighted higher in the NE. As long as youre not expecting a blockbuster 12+ i think well be fine. Really feel like 6 is the basement for our area.

Where are you in Hamden btw, Hamden has its own little climate with hilly sheltered areas on Gaylord Mt. Rd that go up to 650ft to near 0 downtown dixwell ave in "the city"

Oh, also remember any downsloping we get in CT is usually affected in the hartford cty area with big hills to the W and E. when you get closer to the shore that doesnt really become a factor, generally speaking of course .

I have only been here for a couple storms so far, thoughts on exactly how much my "valley" is affected by a storm such as this? It really is a small valley, but temperature wise it has been a crazy micro climate so far with regards to the surrounding area. I am in the "Bent of the River" valley...

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Almost looks like a firehose north of a bent-back ML warm front. The fetch from the east on the north side of it is really impressive.

Yeah probably just semantics. April 97, March 2013....probably a few others are sort of what I usually think of. So maybe this is just a tame version of it.

SREFs starting to come in range. Lol.

Despite looking like it was drawn by my daughter with her (broken) crayons, it shows nicely the 6”+ for all of interior SNE, and the areas (in yellow) of potential 12”+. Also shows lower valley totals. 

I usually look at plumes to see the spread but this seem an easier region wide depiction - just wish it was higher res (is that available, if anyone knows?).

D1D38109-BAF9-4B45-9705-306521166E87.png

Just now, JKEisMan said:

SREFs starting to come in range. Lol.

Despite looking like it was drawn by my daughter with her (broken) crayons, it shows nicely the 6”+ for all of interior SNE, and the areas (in yellow) of potential 12”+. Also shows lower valley totals. 

I usually look at plumes to see the spread but this seem an easier region wide depiction - just wish it was higher res (is that available, if anyone knows?).

D1D38109-BAF9-4B45-9705-306521166E87.png

I haven’t looked at those in years. SREFs tossed hard and fast in any event. 

• Sad 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I haven’t looked at those in years. SREFs tossed hard and fast in any event. 

Yeah they used to be decent for synoptic winter events when they consisted of RSM and ETA members. But now they are mostly convective models.