Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

54 minutes ago, blizzardof96 said:

Check out that gradient! Burlington pier at 11.1" with Buttonville at 3.6".

gfs-deterministic-toronto-snow_72hr-2267200.thumb.png.50fdecbf2151cfd71ea6da890b682efb.png

Set up sort of reminds me of March 2001, although the northern stream portion in that case had 3 closed contours at H5, so much stronger.  Ended up being a widespread 6-8" snowfall even with the main sfc reflection off the east coast.

A best case scenario. 

• Like 2

Good support for a period of 1-2" per hour rates.  

The timing of this for Chicagoland is such that people won't have a lot of time to get a head start on cleanup unless they want to be out there after 9 pm on Saturday.  Then they will wake up in the morning to a big chore.

Just now, tuanis said:

The consistency is delicious. I assume if everything holds at 00z tonight, it's all systems go from LOT.

Given the modeled totals and good overall model agreement, this is about the highest confidence you can get in issuing a winter storm watch in the outer periods.  Question is how far south they would place it since confidence drops off the farther south of I-80 that you go.

32 minutes ago, vortex said:

Southern cutoff is rough.  

Writing is on the wall for us. Too many fail modes present versus succeeding. Just a 30 mile shift and it’s 1.00+ of cold cold rain. Maybe we can squeeze out an inch or two on the front end...with some consolation flakes at the end. :D

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Total whiff here on the EURO.

Be glad once this blocking is gone.  Cold and dry is the worst.

Definitely a tough zone to be in for good snowstorms (detroit, 401 to toronto). No block, we get a GHD type that goes NW. Block, the precip dissipates as it enters the region. Getting the block to setup in the right place is like russian roulette. We need an old fashioned gulf low, riding into arctic air. Good to see some areas that haven't seen much cashing in with this one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Total whiff here on the EURO.

Be glad once this blocking is gone.  Cold and dry is the worst.

13 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Definitely a tough zone to be in for good snowstorms (detroit, 401 to toronto). No block, we get a GHD type that goes NW. Block, the precip dissipates as it enters the region. Getting the block to setup in the right place is like russian roulette. We need an old fashioned gulf low, riding into arctic air. Good to see some areas that haven't seen much cashing in with this one.

Not feeling very optimistic about this one for us. Strong blocking and lingering dry air basically shred this system as it tries to push north. Unless something drastically changes over the next 2 days, I wouldn't count on anything. Because of the block it literally moves N then E then N again. A NAO block is okay if its more towards Greenland and further east. Any block around Baffin Island is just bad all around. I’m hoping we can score something by mid Feb. The next storm is looking like a rainer for us. 

Congrats to the Chicago crew.