• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

Hopefully the offices don't give it much weight for this storm.  This isn't just a one time thing where it's an outlier and maybe you still give it some consideration... it is an issue that has popped up multiple times this winter.
Unfortunately it's one of the components of the NBM we use as a common point for the extended. It'll probably be caught and addressed given the consistency and better handle of thermal profile.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A 10:1 map painting over a foot for Chicago?
Normally need the Kuchera powers to do that the past 2 years.
Our friend Kuchie. I'll say it again, the overall agreement in the general details of this system is impressive. Might lend to earlier headline issuance if the run to run consistency continues. 9f14876cabfdda88824bae259115537d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Our friend Kuchie. I'll say it again, the overall agreement in the general details of this system is impressive. Might lend to earlier headline issuance if the run to run consistency continues. 9f14876cabfdda88824bae259115537d.jpg

Do you still think GFS is too north esp parallel GFS? Most models seem to track low near I70. That was closer to I72. 

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

I don't and tbh season trends this year says this is probably a hair south of where it will end up too.

I mean that wouldn't shock me given trends like you said. But I definitely think GFS thermals are too warm and it may be underestimating dynamic and/or evaporative cooling. 

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

I mean that wouldn't shock me given trends like you said. But I definitely think GFS thermals are too warm and it may be underestimating dynamic and/or evaporative cooling. 

The temps are definitely sus, unless it ends up a bit north then you'd expect some warmer temps.

• Like 2

That I agree with, especially on the operational GFS. I think there's a theoretical northerly limit for the track because of the block but maybe it could nudge a bit more. It depends on location when it tracks northeast and what latitude it ends up because eventually the block causes an easterly phase. It was already mentioned by@Hoosier earlier how this setup with no Hudson Bay block is a wrapped up cutter, which is pretty clearly the case.

• Like 3

00z Euro - A couple changes.  First, the snow doesn't extend into western Iowa like last run.  Second, the snow band tracks more eastward compared to the ese track on the 12z run.

The snow is really going to be dumping when the precip shield initially blows up.  The Euro (and probably other models, too) has 6-8" falling from Iowa into Illinois between 00z and 06z.

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 1

00z Euro - A couple changes.  First, the snow doesn't extend into western Iowa like last run.  Second, the snow band tracks more eastward compared to the ese track on the 12z run.
The snow is really going to be dumping when the precip shield initially blows up.  The Euro (and probably other models, too) has 6-8" falling from Iowa into Illinois between 00z and 06z.
sn10_acc.us_mw.png&key=c64ae873fd9e9cda3ad151a2966bd5515c79e80c31402aa99fcf25cd25cbd3d7

Kuchera output for the 00z Euro
adfc9b36399aa97be68d4c5ba3f50378.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That suggests a lousy ratio (
Makes some sense with warmer thermal profile, which tends to shrink the DGZ. Would have to check the soundings though. If the lift is maxed out and well aligned with the DGZ, can get higher ratios than suggested by MaxT from sfc to 500 mb, which is what Kuchera is basically. Also if you have a deep isothermal layer you can get riming and aggregates.

• Like 1