Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

don't think you realize that some portions of N IL have still not done that well... downtown being one of those areas.

Still doing better than this area of IL. By far worse winter I can remember snow wise here. Have had more rain and icing events than anything. I know I'm complaining and I apologize. Just been a highly frustrating winter as it has been for a lot of us in this thread unless you live in Iowa. Ha. I could see a front end thump before switching over to rain or mix and then probably back to snow as low pulls away. 

• Like 2

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

Still doing better than this area of IL. By far worse winter I can remember snow wise here. Have had more rain and icing events than anything. I know I'm complaining and I apologize. Just been a highly frustrating winter as it has been for a lot of us in this thread unless you live in Iowa. Ha. I could see a front end thump before switching over to rain or mix and then probably back to snow as low pulls away. 

Complain all you want, I get it 100%, and do plenty myself, but compare our totals to normal and it gets pathetic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

These guys would lose it completely after what we've gone through. Yah I know they're below normal too but our region has been in a long term snow drought.

• Like 2

PIA is up to 7.1” on the season, and downtown Chicago is likely not that far ahead of that.

PIA averages over 10” less seasonal snowfall than ORD does (as an example). So relative to average, PIA on more of a track to get to normal seasonal snowfall than ORD/Chicago.

• Thanks 2

How can we custom order a juicy cutter that lollipops both Peoria and McHenry County? Secondary low forms and dumps on northern/central IN, bringing them all above normal for the season. Would make these storm threads easier to read.

If we learned anything from the last one, nothing is set in stone. I imagine plenty of surprises to come with this one. QPF was way overdone out this way, even with an open gulf. Let's see if that plays into our next system as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

Complain all you want, I get it 100%, and do plenty myself, but compare our totals to normal and it gets pathetic. 

Relative to climo, there is probably nobody in this thread who can beat my futility other than RogueWaves.  Biggest snow here this season is just a hair over 2". 

I think this storm will beat it, and if it doesn't, it will be very tempting to throw in the towel on this winter lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Relative to climo, there is probably nobody in this thread who can beat my futility other than RogueWaves.  Biggest snow here this season is just a hair over 2". 

I think this storm will beat it, and if it doesn't, it will be very tempting to throw in the towel on this winter lol

if you get 6”+ we’ll all chip in for a canvas image of the RAP output, to hang your wall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, zinski1990 said:

These guys would lose it completely after what we've gone through. Yah I know they're below normal too but our region has been in a long term snow drought.

THIS. 100%. Lol. Central IL has been stuck in between split flow mostly. 

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

PIA is up to 7.1” on the season, and downtown Chicago is likely not that far ahead of that.

PIA averages over 10” less seasonal snowfall than ORD does (as an example). So relative to average, PIA on more of a track to get to normal seasonal snowfall that ORD/Chicago.

Not trying to compare numbers but you guys definitely have had more opportunities so far this winter. Have they all panned out? No. That's what I was saying. But I know most of IL north to south is below average on snow. Hopefully this storm can give a lot of us some decent snow. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

PIA averages over 10” less seasonal snowfall than ORD does (as an example). So relative to average, PIA on more of a track to get to normal seasonal snowfall that ORD/Chicago.

relative to seasonal actually matters? no way

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

Hasn't this happened all winter in Iowa? 

I don't think so.  The late December biggie here (8.5") was on top of grass.  Throughout January, particularly from central to western Iowa, there has been significant melting in between storms.  Des Moines has hit 40+º eight times this month.  SW Iowa was in the low 50s, with bare ground, before this last storm.  My snow pack had fallen to a couple inches before the recent series of snow systems.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I don't think so.  The late December biggie here (8.5") was on top of grass.  Throughout January, particularly from central to western Iowa, there has been significant melting in between storms.  Des Moines has hit 40+º eight times this month.  SW Iowa was in the low 50s, with bare ground, before this last storm.  My snow pack had fallen to a couple inches before the recent series of snow systems.

I mainly meant CR and IC. Des Moines has had some warm days and even warmer in the southwest corner. I'm very lucky to have had snow cover the entire month of January, I just wish we could have had a big dog. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Let's keep the complaining about who can top how bad your season has been so far and who's had it worst in the Banter thread and the good meteorlogical analysis and model discussion in here.

Lol @ McHenrySnow reacting with a weenie emoji to this. You're not acting like a degreed meteorologist, man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1