Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan. 31-Feb. 2 Miller B storm

LVblizzard

4 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

I agree to disagree. There is still a fair amount of spread and mt holly has done that in the past and been burned. Better to start conservative and increase as we get closer. Remember watches haven't even been hoisted yet, we are still a good 60 hours out from first snow. Things can change. Plus that map is from this morning when things were even more uncertain. I bet it increases in the afternoon update. Mt holly is one of the best, I trust them. 

For north and west yes there is huge spread. For CNJ pretty much every model shows a foot plus. If people are expecting 4” and get over a foot that is a huge difference on impact that people need to prepare for. 

6 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Do we still have the winds with this? Haven't seen much talk about the gusts since yesterday. 

Do you think the coast could see a blizzard warning? The watch says winds to 50mph. I imagine that might meet blizzard conditions. I haven’t been looking at the winds on the models myself but that’s something to keep an eye on

Just now, hazwoper said:

yu need sustained winds of over 35 mph for an extended period for bliz warning I believe.  Possible, but not likely

It could happen???

The National Weather Service defines a blizzard as a storm with large amounts of snow or blowing snow, winds greater than 35 mph (56 kph), and visibility of less than ¼ mile (0.4 km) for at least three hours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hazwoper said:

yu need sustained winds of over 35 mph for an extended period for bliz warning I believe.  Possible, but not likely

To declare its a blizzard you need rates of 2" per hour for at least 4 hours, I think there has to be at least 2hours of 2" per hour that are consecutive as well. To declare a warning I think it has to be in cards along with the wind requirement but i'm not positive about that.  

2 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

To declare its a blizzard you need rates of 2" per hour for at least 4 hours, I think there has to be at least 2hours of 2" per hour that are consecutive as well. To declare a warning I think it has to be in cards along with the wind requirement but i'm not positive about that.  

Check my post above you...that's from NWS

5 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

That is "Heavy Snow warning" criteria. Blizzard is sustained winds of 35 mph for 3 hours or more with heavy snow

A blizzard warning (SAME code: BZW) is an advisory issued by the National Weather Service of the United States which means sustained winds or frequent gusts of 35 mph / 15 m/s or greater with heavy snow is forecast for a period of 3 hours or more.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/WinterWx#:~:text=A Winter Storm Warning is,sleet is expected to occur.&text=A Blizzard Warning is issued,for at least three hours.

11 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

There is No Precipitation or temperature requirement to meet Blizzard Criteria.  Winds/visibility are the only two criteria 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

yep, Wrightstown, PA.  Just North of Newtown.  Bucks County

I'm sort of like extreme SE PA -where is that?   Bucks is north to me, not south, but yes definitely east of me.  Will see what differences we get, if any.  Beautiful country up there.

I'm almost in the Mid Atlantic forum-LOL

2 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

I'm sort of like extreme SE PA -where is that?   Bucks is north to me, not south, but yes definitely east of me.  Will see what differences we get, if any.  Beautiful country up there.

I'm almost in the Mid Atlantic forum-LOL

yes, you most certainly are extreme SEPA

Basically the lower portion of the 5 counties is what I consider extreme SEPA

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

If you're thinking 4-6" is a good total and the duration is 36+hrs....that's like light snow/heavy flurries? Or are you thinking sleet...breaks in action etc?

Breaks and light/moderate ... for now. Has room for upside. Learned from the past better to start conservative and tick up than go balls deep at 12" to start and have to keep shaving.

• Haha 1