Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 25-26th Potential Something Part 3

Chicago Storm

27 minutes ago, madwx said:

still lightly snowing here.  Family member got 9.5" in the NW part of Dane County.  They were under the heavy fronto band for about 3 hours last night.

Nice!

9.4" in Horicon according to news. 

I just got in from plowing, I didn't measure, but its over 6". Watertown. Was snowing pretty hard when I stopped 10 mins ago. Sun actually came out for a min or 2, then clouded up again and more snow. 

• Like 2

Just now, janetjanet998 said:

perhaps this segment of the system (700mb with Lake enhancement) can overachieve for NE IL???

MKE in their recent discussion said they only expected another inch but since then MKE radar has filled in nicely 

This. Seen this occur often at the tail end of events here. Holding of on RE- snowblowing the driveway for now.

Gotta admit, All week been watching these threads and seeing all the southern scenarios thinking, these things in years past always seemed to head north, specifically Madison, at last min. Was pretty bummed late last night when snow didn't start here until 10:30 and everything was pointing south yet. Woke up to kids school cancelled. 

I dont know much about weather, I just come here to see what you guys are thinking. 

48 minutes ago, blizzardof96 said:

Looks like main snowfall axis is going to push well north of modelled position, which is a pretty remarkable north trend of the 700mb RH zone. Will see how much activity can build into GTA off the lake with the low level easterlies.

Another short-term crapping of the bed by almost all the models.  wouldn't be surprised if add'l accums are limited to 1" or less.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Boy oh boy have we been screwed. Hopefully we get lucky eventually

Yeah, you could say that.

This was my 2nd 2" snow this season, but still waiting for a 3" snowfall.  I'll have to decide whether to be generous and count whatever falls from the lake toward the storm total or as a separate entity.  Temporally, it's a pretty large break in the snow here.

Watch the 3-6PM period in Chicago. RAP and HRRR convergence really blow up and you can see it at MKE already. Should be a more organized/persistent band that transitions southwards and eventually parks IN tonight. Some drying is occurring aloft but I imagine it will persist there in some form. 

Still unsure about tomorrow but at least coastal Cook should be affected, especially S. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

I agree. After going nearly 4 weeks without any measurable snow, 3" feels like a lot. 

YYZ up to 7 cm (3”) as of 2 pm.

Snow starting to pick up in intensity here in downtown Toronto, albeit not as heavy as a few hours ago. Latest HRRR suggests we’ll somehow pick up an additional 2-3” of snow. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Watch the 3-6PM period in Chicago. RAP and HRRR convergence really blow up and you can see it at MKE already. Should be a more organized/persistent band that transitions southwards and eventually parks IN tonight. Some drying is occurring aloft but I imagine it will persist there in some form. 

Still unsure about tomorrow but at least coastal Cook should be affected, especially S. 

been watching the same period

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

45 minutes ago, madwx said:

sun coming out here and mood flakes winding down.  thinking around 6.5" here total.  Anywhere between 6"-10" in the county, most NW.  

My fiance left for work shortly after I got home (she's doing a half day today) and her car was half-buried in drifts. Thank God this wasn't a wet, heavy snow.

@Luftfeuchtigkeit bright out my window on the SW side.

• Like 2

Visibility still reduced and still accumulating, albeit much more slowly. Have about an inch and a half of fresh on the driveway since I cleared it this morning. Imagine we've seen about 7"-7.5" so far, but hard to get an accurate measurement with the blowing and drifting. Rates picking up again as I type this. It's not really a packing snow. More dense and powdery.

• Like 1