Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 25-26th Potential Something Part 3

Chicago Storm

4 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Our biggest forecasted storm of the season dropped the least amount of snow. 3/4” - models, who needs them? 

No Kidding.  I'd almost rather just here the meteorologists interpretation of them, probably like it was 25 years ago.  More reading, less looking.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Thinking 3 or 4" mby.  4-6 lollies, shockingly, probably going to be to my NW.

Oh well, just nice to be shoveling again.

Ill take this because it looks like we enter a decent chilly period after this storm until early-mid next week. 2-4" up here on the mountain and staying on the ground will help push some of the negative winter vibes away haha. 

Also some of the hardest snow of the winter currently falling here.

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Detroit, downriver, and east of glacier rudge always find a way into the drysluot*.

Don’t know if you know but I relocated on the east side (Shelby Township macomb) so I’m no longer in the elevation. And we are doing just as good as the elevated areas is today. This area is approaching 3 inches and it’s still snowing good. So you’re wrong for at least today. 

• Like 1

As I figured, those high ratios did not pan out here. Often, there was more graupel than snow falling. Getting actually flakes now, of course, probably not more than 1/2" left to fall. Quick measurement on my patio showed 2.75". Need to shovel the drive later and will take a few measurements to see if that is representative, but I can guarantee there isn't 5-8" out there. 

32 minutes ago, dmc76 said:

Don’t know if you know but I relocated on the east side (Shelby Township macomb) so I’m no longer in the elevation. And we are doing just as good as the elevated areas is today. This area is approaching 3 inches and it’s still snowing good. So you’re wrong for at least today. 

This ones all about latitude. pretty much has nothing to do with the glacial ridge lol. Honestly can't remember the last time we had a classic dry slot like today. its been a while. Should be a popsicle later.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I had 3 6+ inch snows last winter (8.8 Nov 11, 7.0 Jan 18, 6.0 Feb 25/26). Ok our 3-4" snows in Dec were dusters but this forecasted 2-3" snow which only amounted to 1" of icy snow was a "storm". :lol:.

All that aside considering we have very few posters from southern IA or eastern NE, it's been years since I recall a storm that had so much attention in this forum get such underwhelming results. Hopefully the January 31st threat has better luck.

If i remember correctly, all 3 of those last winter took like 20 hours to get over 6+. This current storm had the most potential to atleast resemble a decent storm here, and the dryslot found us. Most models showed 12-18 for NE and IA, and that was met in some areas. You almost always have to cut kuchera snow maps in half when they show 30 inch totals in the midwest. The canadian was overdoing it and everyone knew it. 15 inches in lincoln is underwhelming? Whatever you gotta say to talk yourself into our area being a snowstorm heaven. Lol ok so macomb did okay and got 3 inches today but south of macomb basically got zilch due to the dryslot. It is what is is, we always find the dryslot in respectable storms, whether its modeled or not. Ive accepted it, just wish you would and stop turd polishing. 

• Thanks 1

Call it 4" here and just started snowing nicely again. Everything plastered, looks great and sledding should be prime for the kids over the next few days. Obviously wish we could've had more, but I'll take it.

One of the red flags noted by some of the posters when this event started to change character was the main mid-level vort centers being pretty far north. That helps explain the most persistent mid-level f-gen banding setting up farther north. Fighting dry air at times didn't help either, without that we do a little better. Hopefully the lake enhancement and lake effect performs well the rest of day and tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This little band overhead here is producing solid SN so I think ratios should be good with the lake enhancement today into this evening once that fully gets going into NE IL. Pulling for us to need to issue an advisory for the LES tomorrow. Chicago guys deserve this haha.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm going with 6.5" here.  I may be able to add another tenth or two before it ends.  Considering the pretty underwhelming first half of the night, with multiple periods when the snow stopped completely and the lousy snow rate even when radar showed brighter returns over me, I'm happy with 6.5".  We actually got some of our best snow this morning when I was out blowing.