Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 25-26th Potential Something Part 3

Chicago Storm

6 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Just went outside. Have probably around 2.5" here and it's very cakey stuff. All trees, signs are plastered. No accumulation on the roads overnight.

Going to end up very far below my call here in a somewhat frustrating event but at the very least this should stick around for a bit. Maybe we get something from the weekend to layer on top.

LE later looks to favor southern Cook and Lake, IN counties.

5.5" looking doable still with some luck but yeah, another clunker of an event

Just now, Cary67 said:

Whe did modeling start showing areas like Madison receiving warning type snows? You still might receive some help from lake. Here expecting maybe 1" additional 

The GEM and RGEM were pretty consistent that the heaviest axis of synoptic snows would be into NE Iowa and south central Wisconsin. I discounted it but they were pretty accurate.

The 3-year 6" snow drought lives on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Lol, Those were all 18 hr dusters to get 3 inches. Congrats to us. You cant count those as actual snowstorms. Those events prob didnt even have a dry slot. Come on josh. Just for once admit east of the glacier ridge sucks for snowstorms. Enjoy your snow y'all. Send pics to remind josh what a real 6 inch snow looks like.

Heck some of them were 24-36hr+ duration storms. Somehow doing okay here for seasonal snowfall but it’s been one turd after another to get to this point. Haven’t had a winter without at least one 6”+ storm since 11-12, gotta break that streak at some point

42 minutes ago, madwx said:

3.8” at MSN as of 6 AM 

Just measured 7.3" at my house, average of several measurements. Went for a walk too and side streets have deep snow, minimally passable for regular cars. So it seems about right. I guess the airport hasn't done as well as the SW side, or else their snow all blew away. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Those lake enhanced firehose bands north of Milwaukee look sweet. They’ll pivot south with time while convergence/lake effect parameters improve. We’ll see what they look like once they make their way down here.

F5AF1B72-658E-4B35-B26E-F0F9D2C51562.jpeg

Just about everything you see on radar there is from the upper low. The lake bands will become more evident once that moves out this afternoon.  Note areas well west of any lake influence are also seeing low vis in light to moderate snow. You can see some of the minor showers now over the southern end of the lake, especially on TMDW and TORD. 

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Thinking 3 or 4" mby.  4-6 lollies, shockingly, probably going to be to my NW.

Oh well, just nice to be shoveling again.

Radar returns look impressive especially around Kitchener. Most of our snow should fall within 2-3 hours. We could approach 3-6cm/hr rates. It’ll be nice.

YYZ's new snowfall average for 1991-2020 will be ~113cm (44.4"). Our previous average was 108.5cm (42.7"). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Lol, Those were all 18 hr dusters to get 3 inches. Congrats to us. You cant count those as actual snowstorms. Those events prob didnt even have a dry slot. Come on josh. Just for once admit east of the glacier ridge sucks for snowstorms. Enjoy your snow y'all. Send pics to remind josh what a real 6 inch snow looks like.

I had 3 6+ inch snows last winter (8.8 Nov 11, 7.0 Jan 18, 6.0 Feb 25/26). Ok our 3-4" snows in Dec were dusters but this forecasted 2-3" snow which only amounted to 1" of icy snow was a "storm". :lol:.

All that aside considering we have very few posters from southern IA or eastern NE, it's been years since I recall a storm that had so much attention in this forum get such underwhelming results. Hopefully the January 31st threat has better luck.

1 hour ago, MIstorm97 said:

Heck some of them were 24-36hr+ duration storms. Somehow doing okay here for seasonal snowfall but it’s been one turd after another to get to this point. Haven’t had a winter without at least one 6”+ storm since 11-12, gotta break that streak at some point

Today's inch puts me at 18.2" on the season.

I did not have a 6+ storm in 15-16 however it's been quite a run this century. Not having a 6+ snowstorm in a season is not unheard of at all but lately it pretty much is. Lots of time left but we will see what happens. As of now my biggest storm is 4.3". Should that hold which, which I sure as hell hope it doesn't and don't think it will, that would be my smallest "biggest storm" for a season since I began measuring 26 years ago. 

19-20: 3

18-19: 1

17-18: 2

16-17: 1

15-16: 0 (biggest 5.0)

14-15: 1 (big dog finally)

13-14: 6 (to have a time machine)

12-13: 1

11-12: 0

10-11: 3

09-10: 2

08-09: 2