• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.

wdrag

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If you follow what the pattern supports people shouldn't be flipping out. I was always more worried about yet another situation here where we worry about mixing/dryslot vs suppressed. Not saying the mixing will really happen but too suppressed is off the table at this point. This'll be a big test for the new GFS, it's been the most bullish by far for NYC. But even these amped models seem to end up delivering a good amount for places away from the twin forks so I'll take it. 

I agree with you. I was worried about this from the get go and then doubted myself with the confluence. 

But - like I stated - I originally thought that the Coastal plain would have a hard time taking a strong hit from this. 

2 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

I agree with you. I was worried about this from the get go and then doubted myself with the confluence. 

But - like I stated - I originally thought that the Coastal plain would have a hard time taking a strong hit from this. 

This isnt going to be tucked in like the December storm. Models might be overdoing the warmth.

Just now, SleetStormNJ said:

I’m too lazy maybe to look officially but wasn’t the Feb 2013 monster that dumped LI and CT a Miller B? 

Yeah, it had some similarities to April 82 in the general pattern but it was a more dirty/late phase and really favored eastern area.  NYC lucked out a bit with a mega band that developed late as the 700 low closed off.  The forecast looked to be on its way to severely busting for awhile that evening

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Models IMO tend to under estimate the warmth, at leas that's what I seem to recall.

He was referring to the short term models like the NAM that haven't come into range yet and usually have a warm and amped bias. The globals aren't showing the same thing. 

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

That's because any 12"+ storm is historic for us and this one looks to nail everyone from DC to Boston, which is even rarer...from a Miller B no less. 

Given the amount of moisture fed into this and the lengthy period of snow I could see why Jan 2016 could be mentioned. 

Don't see why we can't see 20"+ amounts honestly.

I'm not quite sure how you define historic but NYC, which is usually on the low end of the storm totals, has had 38 storms of 12 inches or more, 66 storm of 10 inches or more, including about a month ago, and 10 storms of a foot or more in the last 20 years. Historic might be a little strong, 20 inches or more in NYC, there's only been 7 of those so that might be a good classification of historic for NYC, but I doubt that happens for them this storm.

• wdrag changed the title to Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic