• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.

wdrag

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

Yeah, but someone is going to get dryslotted and CCb will sit and rot. Whoever stays under it is going to get crushed. City should get that initial pounding which this euro run was impressive. 

And models can't narrow that in advance, right, so the day of the event we see. Looking good though, especialy since we're adding to a solid base

5 hours ago, uncle W said:

this is one of those storms when my back yard should get more than Manhattan and the Bronx...since I moved here I'v been on the low side of most storms...

looks like the south shore of nassau should do well too....

what do you think of the Dec 2009 analog that neg nao brought up

Just now, LibertyBell said:

lol wasnt that long ago

Mar 21, 2018, Jan 3 2018, etc etc from before then. The idea that "the big ones always mix on the coast" is wrong. I wasn't here for these but I assume 1/25/15 and 1/27/16 didn't mix on the coast? PDII had maybe a few sleet pellets in Long Beach but was otherwise all snow. 12/30/00 was all snow for me. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Mar 21, 2018, Jan 3 2018, etc etc from before then. The idea that "the big ones always mix on the coast" is wrong. I wasn't here for these but I assume 1/25/15 and 1/27/16 didn't mix on the coast? PDII had maybe a few sleet pellets in Long Beach but was otherwise all snow. 12/30/00 was all snow for me. 

I blame the dolts in the media who seem to have "north and west" plastered to their foreheads and then get surprised when eastern or northern Long Island jackpots.  I wonder if anyone has ever done a statistical analysis to figure out what percentage jackpots in our region on an average yearly basis.  I'd guess Long Island jackpots on average about one third of the time.

Now if you want to talk about a region that rarely jackpots on Long Island it'd be the south shore.  Probably even less than the Jersey Coast does.  I'd guess the south shore of Long Island jackpots 10% of the time in big storms and those are in mostly storms that occur in moderate or strong el ninos (examples:  Feb 1983, PD2, Jan 2016).  and yup none of the ones you listed mixed here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

how come you cant visit Lynbrook for the storm?

Don't want to leave my family alone in case I get stuck in Lynbrook ; everyone is doing the remote thing here so Liberty it is. First time ever I spent a winter up here. Love it and heading north when my wife retires; Trying to find the absolute best location for most snow

• Like 1

Just now, sferic said:

Don't want to leave my family alone in case I get stuck in Lynbrook ; everyone is doing the remote thing here so Liberty it is. First time ever I spent a winter up here. Love it and heading north when my wife retires; Trying to find the absolute best location for most snow

I know what you mean- I have a second home in the Poconos.  Being far away from everything does make things boring so I'm going to keep both places for now.

11 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Things you probably want to see if you're wanting a big hit out of this thing in this sub-forum.

Damn remember him from the eastern days. The WAA would definitely prevent that for the DC folks but I would gladly take Boxing Day 2.0 lol.  One of my favorite storms ever to track.

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I blame the dolts in the media who seem to have "north and west" plastered to their foreheads and then get surprised when eastern or northern Long Island jackpots.  I wonder if anyone has ever done a statistical analysis to figure out what percentage jackpots in our region on an average yearly basis.  I'd guess Long Island jackpots on average about one third of the time.

Now if you want to talk about a region that rarely jackpots on Long Island it'd be the south shore.  Probably even less than the Jersey Coast does.  I'd guess the south shore of Long Island jackpots 10% of the time in big storms and those are in mostly storms that occur in moderate or strong el ninos (examples:  Feb 1983, PD2, Jan 2016).  and yup none of the ones you listed mixed here.

I totally agree, Nemo from Feb 2013 could have been 24" in Long Beach but we wasted 3 hours to sleet when northern Nassau/Suffolk was pounding so it definitely happens, but there's no "the big ones mix" rule anywhere. 1/3/18 was all snow down to Ocean City MD. It's about the low tracks and cold air availability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• wdrag changed the title to Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic