• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.

wdrag

Binghamton over to N NH in the 12/17 storm was supposed to get a few inches maybe and in some cases weren’t even under watches but ended up buried over 30”. Can’t expect that again but the northern edge isn’t a bad place to be in storms like these. There’s very often a big mid level lift band there with very high ratios. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Binghamton over to N NH in the 12/17 storm was supposed to get a few inches maybe and in some cases weren’t even under watches but ended up buried over 30”. Can’t expect that again but the northern edge isn’t a bad place to be in storms like these. There’s very often a big mid level lift band there with very high ratios. 

True but it wasn’t a total suprise it was becoming apparent that zone woul jackpot by about 30 hours out 

13 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The confluence early in the run was actually worse near New England on the Euro but it exited faster and the system slowed or semi stalled not to mention it occluded a bit later.  I still think we could just as easily see this tick south again as it could north 

Of course 

58 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

The stall potential for this makes things quite interesting, it's been a while since we've had one of those to track!

Had a plowing business back in 1996 that 30 inch storm just would not leave. Totals kept piling up made a lot of money that year and sold my truck right after.  Blood money.   I got stuck in more 6ft snow drifts than you could imagine

• Like 2

Just now, nightknights said:

Had a plowing business back in 1996 that 30 inch storm just would not leave. Totals kept piling up made a lot of money that year and sold my truck right after.  Blood money.   I got stuck in more 6ft snow drifts than you could imagine

I was in it. 63 hours straight.  Pulled into a driveway with a 15 foot drift. I'll never forget.

35 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The confluence early in the run was actually worse near New England on the Euro but it exited faster and the system slowed or semi stalled not to mention it occluded a bit later.  I still think we could just as easily see this tick south again as it could north 

I believe that the confluence is a major player with this event. A few more runs with ticks one way or another like you mentioned. We might not be honed in till the 00z runs Sunday.

6 minutes ago, TheManWithNoFace said:

We've had a lot of discussion, rightly so, on the western Atlantic and it's potential to squash things. I haven't seen the PAC mentioned as much which is trending more favorably, with better wave spacing all the way into the north central Pacific resulting in improved ridging over the western US. 

Great post!  IIRC, it was a slightly more amped PNA that nudged the December 2009 storm far enough north for us to partake.  Keep an eye on it!

15 minutes ago, TheManWithNoFace said:

We've had a lot of discussion, rightly so, on the western Atlantic and it's potential to squash things. I haven't seen the PAC mentioned as much which is trending more favorably, with better wave spacing all the way into the north central Pacific resulting in improved ridging over the western US. 

gfs_z500_vort_namer_fh90_trend (1).gif

Interesting, wondering if any meteorologists can elaborate or comment on this?

2 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Interesting, wondering if any meteorologists can elaborate or comment on this?

That should really help consolidate the energy and it makes it more likely to be tucked in further west. 

This feels like a system where the amounts will go up as we get closer. I think the odds of a whiff are shrinking.

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic