Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 26-27 light snows

ORH_wxman

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Do you think I am to far southwest for anything meaningful snow wise Thursday night/Friday?  12z NAM went bonkers with QPF over the area.

I'd watch it there too...you might be too far southwest, but it's close on some models.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's like the lowest 2-3k feet of the atmosphere it's struggling with. But that can often be overplayed....esp near the coast. If the lowest levels are more like N aroudn Cape Ann, then that's where something could go nuts. Obviously digging that ULL further southwest will help the tug the sfc IVT further west too....so they are all connected.

Yeah something to watch to see what the globals do. It's real close, but I do like seeing the NE flow from 850-700 for a time. 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Look back through history....always just far enough in one direction....very seldom do they miss out on the lion's share of snowfall. I honestly take that into consideration when making snowfall maps.

We need to make a Tshirt for you now that you have been at this for 25 years. We'll call it a 25th anniversary gift. 

"Ray's Kryptonite: Harping on ORH always being far enough in one direction since December 1996"

• Haha 4

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

If we go nuts at any point, I’ll be sure to capture some pics for evidence. 

At least you are in the best possible spot save downeast ME if anything happens Thursday night....can't get much further east than Rockport.

edit: Actually reminds me of an event in the mid/late 1990s...I can't remember if it was 1996 or 1997 since I didn't experience the event. But Rockport/Gloucester got clipped with an IVT/OES piece and got like 6-7" while 10 miles west had nada.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We need to make a Tshirt for you now that you have been at this for 25 years. We'll call it a 25th anniversary gift. 

"Ray's Kryptonite: Harping on ORH always being far enough in one direction since December 1996"

Honestly, Dec 1992 is when I really noticed it....I remember thinking, "wow, if ORH already has 12", then Springfield must have like 20"!.....further NW is always more snow. But that storm is when I started to understand the topographical nuances and just how magical that spot is.

• Like 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It doesn’t stop snowing until Thursday morning. In CT under the norlun. I like that trend 

I think much of SNE will have a break tomorrow during the day...there may be some periodic flurries or spits of snow/snizzle, but we may have a 12-18 hour gap of very little before it tries to blossom again tomorrow night. 

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It doesn’t stop snowing until Thursday morning. In CT under the norlun. I like that trend 

OT but I like following your station when I check in on mine. You do run relatively cool up there. That benefits you in winter, but not during warm season. You’ll probably be 85 when BDL is 90. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think much of SNE will have a break tomorrow during the day...there may be some periodic flurries or spits of snow/snizzle, but we may have a 12-18 hour gap of very little before it tries to blossom again tomorrow night. 

I just mean that under the radar , tiny flake stuff where you look outside and it’s just constantly snowing lightly . If it’s near 32, it probably isn’t sticking to roads until tomorrow night 

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Honestly, Dec 1992 is when I really noticed it....I remember thinking, "wow, if ORH already has 12", then Springfield must have like 20"!.....further NW is always more snow. But that storm is when I started to understand the topographical nuances and just how magical that spot is.

I worked in Springfield back then and there was nothing at 4pm, drove home and ran into heavy snow in Brimfield them lightened up at my place, took a drive to Worcester and it was unbelievable the difference, Charlton does well too in the higher locations.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

OT but I like following your station when I check in on mine. You do run relatively cool up there. That benefits you in winter, but not during warm season. You’ll probably be 85 when BDL is 90. 

Yeah it’s just a localized hilltop , heavily wooded microclimate. I mean I like it online now so folks can see it and not accuse me of making up my temps, dews etc. If you compare my highs and lows with ORH.. in most cases the numbers are almost always dead nuts on or 1-2 degrees apart. Obviously in CAD or other nuance situations that doesn’t hold true, but generally it does 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah it’s just a localized hilltop , heavily wooded microclimate. I mean I like it online now so folks can see it and not accuse me of making up my temps, dews etc. If you compare my highs and lows with ORH.. in most cases the numbers are almost always 1-2 degrees apart. Obviously in CAD or other nuance situations that doesn’t hold true, but generally it does 

Ball busting aside, I have always valued your OBS as much as anyone....top tier. I think you're pretty meticulous and objective, but I can see why those you haven't been around as long would suspect otherwise lol

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Ball busting aside, I have always valued your OBS as much as anyone....top tier. I think you're pretty meticulous and objective, but I can see why those you haven't been around as long would suspect otherwise lol

. I love the ball busting. I mean I live for it. It’s what I do best .. pushing buttons is my favorite thing . But I just never understood why Scooter or others would accuse me of lying. I mean what benefit do I get of saying my dew is 77 when it’s really 75? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah it’s just a localized hilltop , heavily wooded microclimate. I mean I like it online now so folks can see it and not accuse me of making up my temps, dews etc. If you compare my highs and lows with ORH.. in most cases the numbers are almost always 1-2 degrees apart. Obviously in CAD or other nuance situations that doesn’t hold true, but generally it does 

You're in a great spot, when you were house hunting were you looking for a weenie spot?

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

You're in a great spot, when you were house hunting were you looking for a weenie spot?

I like this area for a few reasons . It’s far enough NE where we don’t usually miss on Miller b’s like WCT can . The elevation helps in marginal events and on easterly inflow events we tend to do well. The thing i don’t like is there’s nothing to CAD in cold , so when that SE wind comes calling.. it just furnaces. It’s too close to the ocean sometimes with nothing but lowlands to the SSE. To me , ORH hills are best spot in SNE

• Like 1