Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2021

snowman19

11 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Yes that's true. 

I think there will be a bigger storm to follow shortly after the Arctic plunge. 

Even if Thursdays storm works out it doesn't scream huge storm to me right now. 

Thursday/Friday is more SWFE and a New England snow event IMO. I don’t like the setup, besides the MJO being out of phase, which is going to allow the SE Ridge to really pump, the PNA looks nowhere near as favorable as it was for last Sunday’s big storm. Also, the TPV orientation is less than ideal. I think we go to all rain in the metro after a start with snow. The snowy models are underestimating the SE Ridge, again 

We need a stronger SE Ridge for more winter storm threats to avoid TPV suppression. Notice how the 120 hr forecast on the EPS has corrected to less cold suppression than 240 hrs.  That’s why the EPS has so many winter storm threats here now. 

New run

E9A0E1F0-53F8-4B17-B0C1-6F93F8593F91.thumb.png.895cdbc5d6f7a29a4558e27b763783c9.png

Old run

E518D15E-96F1-45F6-B7AF-65AC703ED93D.thumb.png.7f926d22dcfa29befae712efd1aba3e5.png

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Thursday/Friday is more SWFE and a New England snow event IMO. I don’t like the setup, besides the MJO being out of phase, which is going to allow the SE Ridge to really pump, the PNA looks nowhere near as favorable as it was for last Sunday’s big storm. Also, the TPV orientation is less than ideal. I think we go to all rain in the metro after a start with snow. The snowy models are underestimating the SE Ridge, again 

What snowy models ? The ensembles disagree with the ops.

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We need a stronger SE Ridge for more winter storm threats to avoid TPV suppression. Notice how the 120 hr forecast on the EPS has corrected to less cold suppression than 240 hrs.  That’s why the EPS has so many winter storm threats here now. 

New run

E9A0E1F0-53F8-4B17-B0C1-6F93F8593F91.thumb.png.895cdbc5d6f7a29a4558e27b763783c9.png

Old run

E518D15E-96F1-45F6-B7AF-65AC703ED93D.thumb.png.7f926d22dcfa29befae712efd1aba3e5.png

Agree but a bit worried ala CMC op run. After the overrunning event we are rain and SE ridge. How do the ensembles look? NAO reloading or anything?

Just now, MJO812 said:

What snowy models ? The ensembles disagree with the ops.

Remember when the ensembles said tomorrow was going to be suppressed? I’m telling you man, this one is going to end up turning to rain, the models aren’t giving enough respect to the SE Ridge pump again, plus the PNA is not in a favorable spot, the TPV orientation isn’t great either. Don’t get your hopes up with this SWFE, this has New England snow event written all over it. We start as snow, go to rain

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Remember when the ensembles said tomorrow was going to be suppressed? I’m telling you man, this one is going to end up turning to rain, the models aren’t giving enough respect to the SE Ridge pump again, plus the PNA is not in a favorable spot, the TPV orientation isn’t great either. Don’t get your hopes up with this SWFE, this has New England snow event written all over it. We start as snow, go to rain

Models can't even get tomorrow right. What makes you think they will be right this far out for next weekend?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The AO ,NAO look good.

PNA is rising and becoming positive  as we head into mid to late February.

4 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Another day well above normal and well above forecasts.

Mid 40s.

JFK has grass peaking thru today. I imagine chunks of southern queens will have grass out and about where snow wasnt piled by the end of the day.

25559C04-984F-43F9-BC90-2F2507174A8C.jpeg

I'm happy its melting

It is a disaster here to find parking 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Agree but a bit worried ala CMC op run. After the overrunning event we are rain and SE ridge. How do the ensembles look? NAO reloading or anything?

The CMC has had back to back Op runs now where for like 5 straight days it’s 10 in Memphis with ice and 75 in Birmingham.  I don’t buy that an Arctic boundary is going to get held up that long.  Even the 00Z Op Euro of having a straight up north to south gradient pattern made more sense.  The GFS is pretty much worlds different than both the others and it’s been winning those wars almost all winter  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

It'll be a fine line between snowy or sleet/rain.

I lean snowy due to the scope of the TPV and recent trends but it could lean either way especially near that 40-41N latitude.

• Like 1

Mid 40s.
JFK has grass peeking thru today. I imagine chunks of southern queens will have grass out and about where snow wasnt piled by the end of the day.

25559C04-984F-43F9-BC90-2F2507174A8C.jpeg.8b88b46b88b862a2a34550bfca5ba6d5.jpeg

That’s what happens close the ocean.

FWIW, I cannot wait for the snow to slowly melt away. The parking lot at the Trader Joe’s in Florham Park is down to about 2/3 capacity because of the snow removal having nowhere to go. You can’t see around the piles.

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

That's a bold statement at this lead time.   As currently modeled I'd agree but there's plenty of time.  The entire evolution could change. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Our extended snow cover build up on the Euro is headed for a hard cement freeze next weekend. So the NWS may have to issue an excessive road salt build up alert.;) Probably our best chance in a while to drop below 10° in NYC.

Manhole explosion watch will be needed for all of NYC.

4 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

Mid 40s.

JFK has grass peeking thru today. I imagine chunks of southern queens will have grass out and about where snow wasnt piled by the end of the day.

25559C04-984F-43F9-BC90-2F2507174A8C.jpeg

Yeah driving around here today it was in the mid 40's.  Forecast from Upton was 37.  That's a pretty big bust on high temps.  Great pic by the way!

• Thanks 1