Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2

Chicago Storm

7 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Our criteria for WSW verification is 6"/12 hours and 8"/24 hours. That might be tough to accomplish verification wise, or maybe the pendulum does swing back guidance wise. Either way, I think there's enough evidence to largely stay the course with amounts. Our primary QPF input is WPC and they apply time lagging to their QPF. I also think they mostly stay the course in light of the GEFS and prior runs of the EPS justifying that. Hopefully the new EPS doesn't cut back much. 

Regarding what headline we issue today, we've noticed that issuing an advisory after having issued a watch can be found confusing to the public. I'm not part of the decision making process on the headline, but my speculation is that our intent is to issue a warning even if we don't technically meet WSW criteria. I'm very confident DVN will issue a WSW. When you throw in the wind impacts on top of having the largest snowfall for most of the metro since 2018 or 2019, that should support going with a WSW.

And you certainly don’t want to get caught with your pants down in a situation where you go from watch, to advisory, only to have warning criteria verify and have to upgrade mid storm. 

• Like 1

And you certainly don’t want to get caught with your pants down in a situation where you go from watch, to advisory, only to have warning criteria verify and have to upgrade mid storm. 
Excellent point. As an agency we're also moving away from always trying to strictly adhere to criteria for headlines and leaning toward impact based headlines. The people don't know why we have certain criteria. If we get close to forecast snowfall in this event, plus the wind, that will feel like a warning event. We'll see what they do but my gut is they go WSW.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Excellent point. As an agency we're also moving away from always trying to strictly adhere to criteria for headlines and leaning toward impact based headlines. The people don't know why we have certain criteria. If we get close to forecast snowfall in this event, plus the wind, that will feel like a warning event. We'll see what they do but my gut is they go WSW.

Makes sense.. a 5 inch peak storm during morning commute is much different than a peak middle of night..etc

15 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Yes, impacts are more important than meeting criteria, especially when it's close.

Our office has been trying to educate people that going from watch to advisory is not a downgrade. It was part of our winter wx preparedness campaign before this season started. A watch is issued for awareness to the potential for significant winter wx.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

I recall in the past, that little "mesolows" can set up out over the lake and pump moisture back into the region.  Are these small/local features generally picked up on models?  Or are these a as it happens type of thing?

Hi-res models can pick it up, but they are notoriously difficult to forecast. 

As posted by others, timing seems to be the bigger impact vs. double digit amounts.

For most in N IL, this will be the biggest impacting system in 2 years so props to the NWS for not being sticklers to the “warning criteria”.

Regardless of the totals going from 15 to 8 to 6 or others in between the fact that there was a good idea of the storm location days in advance is the biggest win in my layman’s view.