• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2

Chicago Storm

I had 6-8" in my head for my area before the 00z Euro came out, and I think I'll go with that for now despite the Euro suggesting potential for a bit more.  Not greatly confident in that call yet, but I think there will be a nice period of snow prior to the dryslot potentially sneaking in for a time and I am not particularly concerned about mixing cutting down on totals at this point.

• Like 2

LOT's calling for 6-9" in their watch product which seems spot on. Surprised now to find mixing language in it as well which is concerning. Also, they have always been touting a low ratio event so we shall see. Need model tracks to hold sway and hope the weakening/shear can back off carrying some of the bigger numbers out west further this way along with lake enhancement. Probably a lot to ask for....but I like nice things. another fine afd by lot fwiw.

• Like 1

6z run of the 3K NAM blasts the dry slot much further north, pushing the best fgen into southern WI after the initial band and before the mediocre defo moves overhead. It’s long range for NAM, but I feel like 8 out of 10 events surprise with how far north banding ends up. Something to keep in mind as we get closer.

760A476C-F32A-47F6-B8C2-3FED54E11EF2.png

• Like 1

dryslots always go further north than progged. The good news using the naked eye on that capture shows the defo band already collapsing back east and south. Would love to get a quick 3-5' in the front end thump before dry slot comes through. I always think a good heavy hit at onset is key for a good event. Sounds redundant, but the big winners get hit fast and hard. LOT discussed the dreaded slot:" AM GROWING   
CONVINCED THAT THE MID-LEVEL DRYSLOT WILL END UP BEING A KEY   
PLAYER IN PRECIPITATION TYPES/INTENSITIES AS WELL, POTENTIALLY AS   
FAR NORTH AS I-88 FOR A PERIOD MONDAY EVENING GIVEN THE LATEST 700  
MB LOW PATH."

12 minutes ago, Baum said:

I always think a good heavy hit at onset is key for a good event. Sounds redundant, but the big winners get hit fast and hard.

I feel like the big winner is often where that fgen band slows and stalls, then pivots back over with the defo. In the case of the latest 3K NAM, that looks to occur just north of the border. It moves through the metro too quickly as depicted to dump much. (Long range NAM caveat applies obv).

3 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Looks like no 12Z upper air soundings from the core of the energy now mostly ashore in CA/MX - 4 of them are missing. Will be a test of how satellite data fare in place of actual in-situ obs. 
962134A8-6E46-4C40-A1C3-58D975A775B6.thumb.jpeg.e2e86114884dd42c60367b4b9bbf549e.jpeg

3rd main cycle that have been missing them, unfortunately.