Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2

Chicago Storm

Just now, mimillman said:

This is the largest event of the season for the CWA and the largest event for the metro in 3 years. They will issue a watch 

I'm sure they will but imo still time to take in more model data that's been sampled and fine tune amts for initial advisories. While still giving public 24-36 hrs notice.

2 minutes ago, mimillman said:

They can always issue a watch and replace it with an advisory, that’s the purpose of a watch vs a warning 

Yes. I do wonder though if weather offices strive to issue watches that eventually become warnings more often then being downgraded to WWAs. If that's the case waiting a bit later would help raise those percentages.

Just now, Cary67 said:

Yes. I do wonder though if weather offices strive to issue watches that eventually become warnings more often then being downgraded to WWAs. If that's the case waiting a bit later would help raise those percentages.

I agree that’s the goal, but ultimately I think a watch is an appropriate product at this juncture.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ILSNOW said:

They should go Winter Storm Watch chicago north and west for 6-10 inches in the morning.

Hopefully RC will trim in.

The interesting area from a decision standpoint on watch/no watch is the I-80 corridor.  Some conflicting guidance and confidence wouldn't be quite as high as just north of there, but I think I would pull the trigger on a watch for I-80 for a couple reasons.  One, there's been an obvious lack of snow so far this season and second, the wind aspect will add to impacts.  Can always go with a watch and convert to an advisory if it looks like amounts will come in under criteria.

• Like 1

These are all fine solutions. I consider myself very lucky to be in the game for a 6”+ event and the south central Iowa weenies can enjoy their moment of glory.

I’m hoping tomorrow we can get a bit more QPF out of this further East. Still have a whole day to sort that out until people start posting the HRRR and it’s Madison blockbuster early scenarios

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mimillman said:

These are all fine solutions. I consider myself very lucky to be in the game for a 6”+ event and the south central Iowa weenies can enjoy their moment of glory.

I’m hoping tomorrow we can get a bit more QPF out of this further East. Still have a whole day to sort that out until people start posting the HRRR and it’s Madison blockbuster early scenarios

You have the lake to at least pad totals by a couple inches, which is always nice. I can't imagine living in the loop and loving snow the past few years. It was bad enough in Bridgeport, but we often had better accums than the loop. 

• Like 1

Just now, McHenrySnow said:

You have the lake to at least pad totals by a couple inches, which is always nice. I can't imagine living in the loop and loving snow the past few years. It was bad enough in Bridgeport, but we often had better accums than the loop. 

It sucks in November and December. We get rainers/poor accumulation while the suburbs cash in. ORD routinely will print 2-3” higher than the Loop in December and in November, that could be closer to 6”. We start to win out in late Jan - March, but overall I’d prefer to live northwest.

Just now, mimillman said:

It sucks in November and December. We get rainers/poor accumulation while the suburbs cash in. ORD routinely will print 2-3” higher than the Loop in December and in November, that could be closer to 6”. We start to win out in late Jan - March, but overall I’d prefer to live northwest.

Was in Bridgeport during the November 2018 "blizzard" - that and the snowstorm in November 2015 were heartbreakers for people who actually lived in the city (let's face it, O'Hare isn't the city). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

Was in Bridgeport during the November 2018 "blizzard" - that and the snowstorm in November 2015 were heartbreakers for people who actually lived in the city (let's face it, O'Hare isn't the city). 

I remember it (not so) fondly. It’s precisely those types of events that anger me to no end.