• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2

Chicago Storm

Man this is looking like a heck of a storm out here. Could even be 12-15” in the max band. Not sure that’s CR/IC but probably just south of us as we are starting to reach a pretty tight track consensus. That said, gusts to 40-45 mph seem likely for most of the event, and combined with heavy snow, should allow blizzard criteria to be met for many in Iowa/perhaps N IL as well. Assuming watches will be hoisted in the afternoon package? Looking more and more like the highest impact winter event in DVN’s CWA since 11/25/18. 

• Like 3

Nice to see the models becoming more realistic with a SW/NE tilt to the snow swath.

4-8" is the solid call for NW Ohio/SE Michigan with higher amounts possible to the west, but certainly expect this one to underperform. Weakening system on approach with mixing issues as the column saturates will make this more of a 4-6" in all likelihood. 

• Sad 1

If I had to get in LOT's head, I think they may shy away from blizzard talk at this point because of uncertainty on there being heavy amounts eastward through the cwa (even though this isn't technically a criteria, but you need heavy enough rates for long enough) and lower ratios reducing the ability to blow around.  Maybe I'm wrong though.  Let's see a discussion with the B word Ricky!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If I had to get in LOT's head, I think they may shy away from blizzard talk at this point because of uncertainty on there being heavy amounts eastward through the cwa (even though this isn't technically a criteria, but you need heavy enough rates for long enough) and lower ratios reducing the ability to blow around.  Maybe I'm wrong though.  Let's see a discussion with the B word Ricky!  ;)

Agree. DVN perhaps, LOT no

Thoughts on lake enhancement Ricky?
It's looking decent on Tuesday. When I get to the office, will dig in more on BUFKIT. 850 mb temps still look on the marginal side for the bulk of Monday night from a thermodynamics perspective, but there's going to be good speed convergence and there's little shear. 850 mb temps on Tuesday cool to or just below -10C, which considering the well above normal lake sfc temps, seems like that would get it done with still supportive wind field.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I had to get in LOT's head, I think they may shy away from blizzard talk at this point because of uncertainty on there being heavy amounts eastward through the cwa (even though this isn't technically a criteria, but you need heavy enough rates for long enough) and lower ratios reducing the ability to blow around.  Maybe I'm wrong though.  Let's see a discussion with the B word Ricky!  

I think ratios will be too low overall for during the heaviest rates for true blizzard conditions out this way. We didn't verify in the November 2018 blizzard warning because the visibilities never tanked too low even though the winds were more than supportive.   

The magnitude of wind speeds and gusts progged should still increase the severity of the impacts. After starting out with 10:1 or less ratios, the snow later on should be more 12:1 and that would be on top of a more dense layer beneath so blowing and drifting probably becomes a bigger issue at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Euro makes no sense. It has the surface low in southern IN then next frame jumps up near Peoria unless that's a new low. The precip shield literally just like vanishes as it heads east. That confluence is a killer. Bout ready to punt this storm for my area. Hoping after more sampling it could adjust south again but not likely. This apparently is eastern Iowa's winter.