Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2

Chicago Storm

36 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

:lol:

Eh, I've been resigned to this not being a "clean" storm for here, for awhile. Would take a minor miracle for it to be all snow at this point. Overnight LOT AFD seems to indicate any freezing/non-snow frozen precip will be NBD here, with rain taking over. GFS hug, seemingly. Not sure I'd go that far yet, but further adjustments north might be the play...as they typically are with these types of systems. Oh well, onto to the next one for me I guess. Good luck to those up north...

I was sucked in for a second.  
We can always hope for the dry slot to cut down rain totals.  haha 

2 minutes ago, vortex said:

I was sucked in for a second.  
We can always hope for the dry slot to cut down rain totals.  haha 

Lol, me too. Though I knew it was foolish. Nothing worse than 33 and rain while those just to the north are pounding snow. Alas, maybe it’ll keep Hoosier from posting those dumb drought maps. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

I never been a fan of the kuchera method/maps..I know they're supposed to be more accurate, but can't recall a time where there were big differences and it verified over the 10:1

There is not a big difference here. 0.8” of QPF putting down 9” is pretty realistic for a late afternoon - evening event in mid January

Still going some after this. Still feel like QPF underdone east of the Mississippi
image.thumb.png.23ae9d6ebd60e762bb12c61e9b71f34e.png

It’s just not supported right now. On just about all guidance (minus several ENS), the wave still peaks out west and then steadily shears...and that’s what we’re going to get if that occurs.

We had an even in the eastern part of our region like this years ago, might have been late 2000’s. System shredded fairly rapidly.

2 minutes ago, AWMT30 said:

The NAM is predicting 1-3" tomorrow here in SE Michigan from the first little system. 

it seems its turning into a prolonged lighter snow? its hanging around longer on the models but heaviness seems sheared as some have mentioned. Kinda mad its losing its punch but as long as we get a nice blanket of white ill he happy. This is the year of the 2-4" snows lol. Last winter everyone complained yet we still had 2-3 storms of 6+

• Like 1

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

it seems its turning into a prolonged lighter snow? its hanging around longer on the models but heaviness seems sheared as some have mentioned. Kinda mad its losing its punch but as long as we get a nice blanket of white ill he happy. This is the year of the 2-4" snows lol. Last winter everyone complained yet we still had 2-3 storms of 6+

I mean pretty good thump of snow into Tuesday Morning and then yeah after that we slowly crawl to above 6" NAM verbatim. But you and me bro I am just happy we look to be getting over 3" of snow! 

What would delay the weakening?  In other words, what would we need to see that could keep this going through the sub??

If the confluence can slacken a bit over the Lakes, that would likely help. However, that could also lead to a bump north as it pushes east of the Mississippi.

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

It’s just not supported right now. On just about all guidance (minus several ENS), the wave still peaks out west and then steadily shears...and that’s what we’re going to get if that occurs.

We had an even in the eastern part of our region like this years ago, might have been late 2000’s. System shredded fairly rapidly.

Yea I guess the question is, do you believe that solution. I know the NAM is not alone 

3 minutes ago, AWMT30 said:

I mean pretty good thump of snow into Tuesday Morning and then yeah after that we slowly crawl to above 6" NAM verbatim. But you and me bro I am just happy we look to be getting over 3" of snow! 

Event after event, whether it's small or large, it just boggles my mind how often we weenies look at storms that show up on the long range models and even when a threat is legit, until zero hour there are ridiculous swings. Look at that intense snow squall in Chicago the other night, a few days prior to that you thought maybe they would pick up a snow shower at best. Look at our East Side 3 to 4" snowfall on christmas. The news was literally telling people Christmas Eve morning we might see a few flurries but nothing to whiten the ground. 

• Like 1

If the confluence can slacken a bit over the Lakes, that would likely help. However, that could also lead to a bump north as it pushes east of the Mississippi.

And the new 12z RGEM does exactly this...

A bit less confluence in the Lakes/Northeast, which allows shearing of the wave to occur a bit later. This makes for heavier totals further east, east of the Mississippi...but also allowed for a bump north as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

Event after event, whether it's small or large, it just boggles my mind how often we weenies look at storms that show up on the long range models and even when a threat is legit, until zero hour there are ridiculous swings. Look at that intense snow squall in Chicago the other night, a few days prior to that you thought maybe they would pick up a snow shower at best. Look at our East Side 3 to 4" snowfall on christmas. The news was literally telling people Christmas Eve morning we might see a few flurries but nothing to whiten the ground. 

Even Christmas Eve Night Channel 4 had everyone getting less than an inch LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1