Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Still have yards with mostly snow actually lol. But existing pack took a beating. 

I haven’t measured but I will tomorrow morning....my guess is 6” in that same spot I posted the pic of 9-10” yesterday. Nasty and sneaky little torch this was. It’s the dewpoints that do it. 

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Classic black ice setup...radiational cooling going on with still a decent amount of LL moisture present. 

Yeah... Just drove from PSF over the Berks to Northampton.  Was like 42 and clear, moonlit and snowy in the higher terrain.  Down at river level 31 and heavy fog, sliding around the rotaries.

We are at the warmest temps of the day now with strong roaring WNW winds.

40F currently at MVL with gusts near 40mph now that the wind direction has changed.  Almost to the point where I'm hoping we don't lose power.  These are some very strong winds moving down the east slope.  Wouldn't be surprised if there were some localized 50mph or more gusts just a little uphill of here on the east side of the spine.  Luckily it's winter, if there were leaves on the trees this would be a big problem, ha.

Great day yesterday out on the trails, Rode 185 mi, Started snowing around 11 am as we were over by Coburn Mtn on our way to the Birches for lunch on Moosehead Lake, Vis was down to 1/8 mi for a good portion of our ride between 11-2 pm, Got back to camp around 5:00 pm and had 2.5" of snow on my truck's tonneau cover.

IMG_5433.jpg

IMG_5435.PNG

• Like 1

February numbers:
The month began with  nice snowstorm, though not nearly as nice as farther south and west, then featured meh - no brutal cold, no significant storms (closest was the 2" sleetfest on 2/16), no major thaws and only a trace of liquid precip.  Lots of storm activity that was (to quote the Bard) "..full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."  4-5 whiffed storms and the 6 that brought snow totaled 11.8".

Avg temp:  18.4   0.8 AN    2021 is the median temp for Feb, 23 yr POR.
Avg max:  28.8    0.3 BN   Mildest, 44 on 2/24; coldest, 17 on 2/9.  (Very few sub-20 highs this winter, coldest was 14 back in DEC.  Only 01-02 with 16 failed to have a colder daily max.)
Avg min:   8.0     2.0 AN   Coldest was -15 on 1st and 10th, mildest was 29 on 2/24.

Precip:  3.15"   0.08" AN   Greatest one--day: 1.32 on the 2nd

Snow:  21.3"   1.6" BN   Biggest storm, 9.5" on 2/2.
Avg depth:  16.7"   2.6" BN
Season's snow:  50.8"   16.2"  BN for the date.  

Final ORH February numbers:

Temps: 0.7F above normal (tied for 41st warmest Feb....warmest 1984, coldest 2015)

Snowfall: 31.8" (15th snowiest February on record, snowiest 2015 at 53.4", Least snowy 1937 with a trace)

Depth was pretty solid as the month basically went wire to wire with double digits.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

February numbers:
The month began with  nice snowstorm, though not nearly as nice as farther south and west, then featured meh - no brutal cold, no significant storms (closest was the 2" sleetfest on 2/16), no major thaws and only a trace of liquid precip.  Lots of storm activity that was (to quote the Bard) "..full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."  4-5 whiffed storms and the 6 that brought snow totaled 11.8".

Avg temp:  18.4   0.8 AN    2021 is the median temp for Feb, 23 yr POR.
Avg max:  28.8    0.3 BN   Mildest, 44 on 2/24; coldest, 17 on 2/9.  (Very few sub-20 highs this winter, coldest was 14 back in DEC.  Only 01-02 with 16 failed to have a colder daily max.)
Avg min:   8.0     2.0 AN   Coldest was -15 on 1st and 10th, mildest was 29 on 2/24.

Precip:  3.15"   0.08" AN   Greatest one--day: 1.32 on the 2nd

Snow:  21.3"   1.6" BN   Biggest storm, 9.5" on 2/2.
Avg depth:  16.7"   2.6" BN
Season's snow:  50.8"   16.2"  BN for the date.  

What's your current depth? I use your reports to somewhat gage how things are looking at my parents cabin on Flying Pond just a hair south of the Mt.Vernon/Vienna town line at about 400 elevation.  

4 hours ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

What's your current depth? I use your reports to somewhat gage how things are looking at my parents cabin on Flying Pond just a hair south of the Mt.Vernon/Vienna town line at about 400 elevation.  

19".  Only lost one inch since Saturday's mushy 2.4".  If it's not frigid I hope to be on the ice a few hundred yards north of there on Saturday, by the small island with a nice old cabin sitting on the rocky center.

17 minutes ago, tamarack said:

19".  Only lost one inch since Saturday's mushy 2.4".  If it's not frigid I hope to be on the ice a few hundred yards north of there on Saturday, by the small island with a nice old cabin sitting on the rocky center.

19" geez.  Your retention is impressive. Its  funny how some of you  NNE folks are rightfully expressing their displeasure with the below normal snowfall and lack of excitement, yet you're still starting off march with 19" of snow, whereas I am probably only a tad below normal in snowfall season to date, yet my pack is reduced to swiss cheese after this latest rain.  It's just a different world up there in the foothills and mountains and the northern portions of NNE.  

16 minutes ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

19" geez.  Your retention is impressive. Its  funny how some of you  NNE folks are rightfully expressing their displeasure with the below normal snowfall and lack of excitement, yet you're still starting off march with 19" of snow, whereas I am probably only a tad below normal in snowfall season to date, yet my pack is reduced to swiss cheese after this latest rain.  It's just a different world up there in the foothills and mountains and the northern portions of NNE.  

It is a good spot for retention, for sure, in part because we're in the woods - stake gets full sun about half the day but no big openings.  Also, CAD often keeps us 10-15° less mild than Belgrade/Augusta in SE thaws.  23-year average for today is 21" and tomorrow its 22, tops for the season.  Average for peak depth is 29.7" and the median is 27.  Tops is 49 in Feb 2009 and 05-06 never got past 11.  Only 4 of 23 failed to reach 20".

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

It is a good spot for retention, for sure, in part because we're in the woods - stake gets full sun about half the day but no big openings.  Also, CAD often keeps us 10-15° less mild than Belgrade/Augusta in SE thaws.  23-year average for today is 21" and tomorrow its 22, tops for the season.  Average for peak depth is 29.7" and the median is 27.  Tops is 49 in Feb 2009 and 05-06 never got past 11.  Only 4 of 23 failed to reach 20".

What are you running on snow-depth-days YTD?