Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Fell under 10" here....prob some time yesterday (I actually haven't touched the snow stick in days...starting to tilt a little, lol). You can see the pack receding pretty good from the edge of the driveway now.....though the very front of my house which stays shaded is melting out a lot slow. These bushes are just becoming visible, lol.

Of course, as I posted yesterday, I've fallen behind winter hill now. I was pretty even with them for a lot of the month given that I did as well as them during the 2/1 event and even better than them during the 2/7 and 2/19 events. But 2/22 was the turning point...they got an inch of slop as a bit of barrier and then the sneaky torch days that followed hit harder here than there.

This was winter hill last night...they had a solid foot left up there at least, maybe more in the shadier spots:

We actually had a standby generator delivered a couple weeks ago and I had to clear a 5 ft path through the yard for their equipment. Now that bare ground is allowing the sun to really do a number on my front yard.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I don't think I have ever seen a 7 degree difference in an environment like this. I salute their torching I guess. 

Yeah I thought Bob had his Davis sitting on the ground when you mentioned the temps and then I saw the ASOS numbers down there. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Fell under 10" here....prob some time yesterday (I actually haven't touched the snow stick in days...starting to tilt a little, lol). You can see the pack receding pretty good from the edge of the driveway now.....though the very front of my house which stays shaded is melting out a lot slow. These bushes are just becoming visible, lol.

image.thumb.png.b891613c230b15fa236cdf19b0be8f32.png

Feb26_1.thumb.jpg.3e178e8944c32207f74dcceda68c1d07.jpg

Feb26_2.thumb.jpg.221bdf6d264ce3827ea6aee89f1f59b3.jpg

Of course, as I posted yesterday, I've fallen behind winter hill now. I was pretty even with them for a lot of the month given that I did as well as them during the 2/1 event and even better than them during the 2/7 and 2/19 events. But 2/22 was the turning point...they got an inch of slop as a bit of barrier and then the sneaky torch days that followed hit harder here than there.

This was winter hill last night...they had a solid foot left up there at least, maybe more in the shadier spots:

image.jpeg.f2199ff190f0d1ae13c061aa2c203a06.jpeg

Looking at the receding snow pack on your driveway is the perfect example of what happens this time of year with the higher sun angle, It affects road crossings and the higher ground that is exposed to the sunshine up here when snowmobiling, That is why unless you have a deep pack, March gets to be to late to ride up here unless you ride off trail in the woods, Jan-Feb is really critical to building the pack for riding, We virtually lost both those months this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

We actually had a standby generator delivered a couple weeks ago and I had to clear a 5 ft path through the yard for their equipment. Now that bare ground is allowing the sun to really do a number on my front yard.

A house up the road had a snow blower path across their front lawn and it has widened now into a massive gap just splitting the lawn in half. Amazing how much assistance it gives the sun these days when there are darker spots.

Just now, dryslot said:

Looking at the receding snow pack on your driveway is the perfect example of what happens this time of year with the higher sun angle, It affects road crossings and the higher ground that is exposed to the sunshine up here when snowmobiling, That is why unless you have a deep pack, March gets to be to late to ride up here unless you ride off trail in the woods, Jan-Feb is really critical to building the pack for riding, We virtually lost both those months this year.

Yeah you couldn't see any of that grass line even 3 days ago....it's amazing how fast the sun works on those edges this time of the year. Full blown Tip nape season.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

image.thumb.png.b891613c230b15fa236cdf19b0be8f32.png

Feb26_1.thumb.jpg.3e178e8944c32207f74dcceda68c1d07.jpg

Feb26_2.thumb.jpg.221bdf6d264ce3827ea6aee89f1f59b3.jpg

The Holliston Cocorahs guy was 7.5" this morning.  No idea where they are vs you and if they have sun vs shade which obviously matters.  You look you have some decent shade there to protect it a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

The Holliston Cocorahs guy was 7.5" this morning.  No idea where they are vs you and if they have sun vs shade which obviously matters.  You look you have some decent shade there to protect it a bit.

Hes actually on the opposite side of town down south where I am on the northwest corner almost in Ashland/Hopkinton and more elevated so I'd be a bit higher naturally. I can def say if an area is getting a lot of sun during the day it is likely under 7".

He did make this comment:

image.png.42935b48afe0da7bc31b8500e9f0f7c8.png

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It's an interesting thing ..

Two days ago we nicked 52 for a high temperature here in Ayer Mass per multiple home sites on Wunderground - so taken fwiw, but it felt that mild.   By day's end although the snow was visibly less out in the yard it still had pack look to it... substantial with no bare areas....edge to edge...consistent all over town...  

Last night, however, that was even more visibly lost- ... yet it was only 41 for high clawing to get there in that nascent polar air.

The difference was apparently the sun.  Two day's ago, that "coefficient of nape-balm" was missing... lol.  No but the ceilings were milk much of the day with tepid sun at times down to orb.  Yesterday was thru cerulean blue and the snow on the south side of the house had crept almost half way down the front yard.  

Just something I noticed...

That's why I wonder about the "this snow ain't going anywhere very fast due to density" argument ...heh.     Empty an ice tray into the sink, run the cold faucet.   That ice is gone in 5 minutes...  I mean we get one coastal with thrashing mid 40s rain, I don't care if that's a foot of Italian ice...it's gone. 

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

It sure is solid, Its like trying to melt a glacier after some of these most recent sleet bombs we've had, The highest my pack has been this winter is 12" and i'm around 8-9" now.

Hanging at 18" here thanks to the sleet-armor from the 16th.  Had 17" after than event, popped up briefly to 20 by Monday's little dump, compacted down to 3:1 ratio by the warm midweek.  Only actual melting of snow as on the roof.  Also release the 5-ft icicle on the north end of our over-porch gutter.

Going back to March 6, 2007, temps that day would've been -2/-13 but for the 19 at my obs time the previous evening, 21° "lost' due to that cheap high.  Got some of it back 2 days later with 7/-22, coldest daily mean in March I've had here.  Only 0.5° off Farmington's coldest March mean with much longer POR; they had 7/-17 on 3/8/07 and 14/-25 on 3/2/1982.  (7 AM obs at the co-op then, so the 1st was the actual cold morning - had -32 in Fort Kent.)

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Hanging at 18" here thanks to the sleet-armor from the 16th.  Had 17" after than event, popped up briefly to 20 by Monday's little dump, compacted down to 3:1 ratio by the warm midweek.  Only actual melting of snow as on the roof.  Also release the 5-ft icicle on the north end of our over-porch gutter.

Going back to March 6, 2007, temps that day would've been -2/-13 but for the 19 at my obs time the previous evening, 21° "lost' due to that cheap high.  Got some of it back 2 days later with 7/-22, coldest daily mean in March I've had here.  Only 0.5° off Farmington's coldest March mean with much longer POR; they had 7/-17 on 3/8/07 and 14/-25 on 3/2/1982.  (7 AM obs at the co-op then, so the 1st was the actual cold morning - had -32 in Fort Kent.)

I think i'm representing the bottom of the Maine folks on snow totals this season, Usually i can hang pretty well with you Tom or be slightly better.............:(

16 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Very seldom Sebago will totally freeze over too, As seen in that pic, Pretty tough freezing the middle of the lake at a depth of 315' besides the fact on a windy day you can have 3-5' waves, Not going to make any ice in those conditions.

I've only seen the big section freeze once or twice in the 12yrs we've lived in Standish/Raymond