Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

One.....early season...very short.

But it was, for me, the grinchi-est Grinch of them all, for at least 3 reasons:
1.  It happened on Christmas Day rather than merely within a few days of 12/25.
2. It brought the biggest one-day rain of my 23 Decembers here.
3. Its 29° AN temp is the greatest I've recorded here, 1° more than 3/22/2012 (which I thought was impossible to top.)

Beyond that I agree - it's been very meh though not yet as bad (though close) as last winter, when the 3 met winter months failed to produce a snowfall greater than 7" and had the same lack of real lasting cold.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

But it was, for me, the grinchi-est Grinch of them all, for at least 3 reasons:
1.  It happened on Christmas Day rather than merely within a few days of 12/25.
2. It brought the biggest one-day rain of my 23 Decembers here.
3. Its 29° AN temp is the greatest I've recorded here, 1° more than 3/22/2012 (which I thought was impossible to top.)

Beyond that I agree - it's been very meh though not yet as bad (though close) as last winter, when the 3 met winter months failed to produce a snowfall greater than 7" and had the same lack of real lasting cold.

It sucked because it ruined a great pack right before xmas, and led into a month of watching paint dry, but there was not most seasons have at least one torch...at least at my latitude.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It sucked because it ruined a great pack right before xmas, and led into a month of watching paint dry, but there was not most seasons have at least one torch...at least at my latitude.

The entire tenure of the season would have been different if we just eliminated the grinch storm or turned it into a 40F FROPA with a few showers. Most of the deep pack form pre-Xmas would have been around during the doldrums in January. So that stretch would have merely been a boring 4 week pause with a few “refresher” C-2” events rather than the torture of watching a few coatings melt back to brown grass. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The entire tenure of the season would have been different if we just eliminated the grinch storm or turned it into a 40F FROPA with a few showers. Most of the deep pack form pre-Xmas would have been around during the doldrums in January. So that stretch would have merely been a boring 4 week pause with a few “refresher” C-2” events rather than the torture of watching a few coatings melt back to brown grass. 

What sent me over the edge is that it was the only piece of energy that managed to phase despite Tippy's HC from hell for like a month....had it not done so, it would have been 40 w a few showers. Then we missed out on like at least three warning events over the course of the next month bc we could've buy even a partial phase lol That is when I lost it.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This winter was respectable, but left alot on the table in frustrating fashion....even in LBSW land.

2/1 hurt so that will be tough to make up. I know I speak for locally, but likely forgettable as you would say, unless we get a March bomb. Honestly I think the most exciting event for me was 10/30/20   :lol:    The 12/17 storm was juicy and biggest since 2010 so that deserves praise. The SB storm with golfball dendies pouring down was a fun one. But for me, tough to shake the Grinch and 2/1. 

40 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

2/1 hurt so that will be tough to make up. I know I speak for locally, but likely forgettable as you would say, unless we get a March bomb. Honestly I think the most exciting event for me was 10/30/20   :lol:    The 12/17 storm was juicy and biggest since 2010 so that deserves praise. The SB storm with golfball dendies pouring down was a fun one. But for me, tough to shake the Grinch and 2/1. 

2/1 was brutal within 5-10 miles of the coast. Taken to the woodshed by Ray’s beast of a man. 

That event is what salvaged this winter from pretty subpar to respectable here and set the table for a durable snow pack. Basically gonna run the table for the month of Feb with a double digit snow pack here...maybe we barely slip under that this weekend. We’ll see. But it changes the feel of winter when you spend that long with deep pack.  

16-17” of absolute paste from that 2/1 storm. Well actually, it was more like 6” of powder and then 10”+ of paste on top of it, lol. Just massive qpf dump. 

Snowfall is below average here by 9-10" if the season ended today. The Grinch and the long stretch of mind-numbing boredom in January, combined with us being  just a bit outside the max zones for most of the February events put the season down around a C- here.  If we somehow nickel and dime our way to normal, or have another solid event that gets us there, I can see it sliding up to a B-. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This winter was respectable, but left alot on the table in frustrating fashion....even in LBSW land.

I agree and realize that for most of sne that is the average winter.  The great ones and the ratters stand out but a typical winter sans extreme cold (which usually does occur for 1-2 spells) is I think what we have here.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2/1 was brutal within 5-10 miles of the coast. Taken to the woodshed by Ray’s beast of a man. 

That event is what salvaged this winter from pretty subpar to respectable here and set the table for a durable snow pack. Basically gonna run the table for the month of Feb with a double digit snow pack here...maybe we barely slip under that this weekend. We’ll see. But it changes the feel of winter when you spend that long with deep pack.  

16-17” of absolute paste from that 2/1 storm. Well actually, it was more like 6” of powder and then 10”+ of paste on top of it, lol. Just massive qpf dump. 

Likewise we’ll be going on a month with snow here which hasn’t happened in awhile. So it made Feb all that nicer.  To be honest, I secretly enjoyed 18-19. It wasn’t a pack winter, but it seemed like each storm we got sort of exceeded my expectations. If that makes any sense. It started with the November snow and ended with the March bomb. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Likewise we’ll be going on a month with snow here which hasn’t happened in awhile. So it made Feb all that nicer.  To be honest, I secretly enjoyed 18-19. It wasn’t a pack winter, but it seemed like each storm we got sort of exceeded my expectations. If that makes any sense. It started with the November snow and ended with the March bomb. 

If there’s one thing that decides overall vibe in weather... it’s expectations.  You can have a great winter if your expectations are the floor lol.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If there’s one thing that decides overall vibe in weather... it’s expectations.  You can have a great winter if your expectations are the floor lol.

It’s true. And it all meant and slightly AN winter too for snow locally. If we can get a decent March event, I’ll be happy with the season. 

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

12/17 was forgettable here.