Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

My neighbor puts rock salt in old socks, ties 'em off, and lobs them up there about every 4 foot down the length of the roof... He tries for 18" from the eave.

That's more of an on-going maintenance thing though.  Not sure about an immediate need.  I'd almost take your garden hose and see if you snake it through the kitchen window, a Gerry rig it to to the sink faucet... Turn on the warm water and it's a 5 minute operation.. although - haha now that I think about it... nah don't do that.  Cause the weight before the ice lets go may realize the bigger problem -

My roof is more sloped.  I don't know if that's specifically why, but I don't seem to have as much damming issue... uh, that I know of.. heh.

I had a coworking once who didn't realize that the back water behind multiple years of ice damming had been flowing down the inside of his walls unbeknownst .. until the wall/and ceiling catastrophically sagged/partially collapsed... that's an extreme stroke of bad luck though ...

I think they sell something like that though, with with the salt idea ... and it won't corrode shingles.

I did something very similar to this in 2015. I bought an adaptor and a commercial grade hose, attached the hose to an indoor shower, turned it up as hot as I could get it, and snaked it outside to where I was able to climb a ladder to the roof. The first thing I did was clear the downspout so the water had somewhere to go, then I sprayed the hot water on the ice, top, bottom, and sides, in 3-4 foot sections. After that, I could pull them out easily and toss them to the ground. It took me less than 30 minutes to clear 20 feet of gutter of some of the most horrific ice dams you could imagine. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

FD7BFCA0-89C6-4E52-9A55-EF7208AF3881.jpeg.7d2061afd3c6fcaf3fd64a6356b4f842.jpeg

This explains the dichotomy between the YTD temperature departures and the narrative that it hasn't been that mild. No signature torches or cutters have happened. It's just been the lack of arctic cold shots to offset these stale airmasses.

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This explains the dichotomy between the YTD temperature departures and the narrative that it hasn't been that mild. No signature torches or cutters have happened. It's just been the lack of arctic cold shots to offset these stale airmasses.

I was pretty impressed by that BTV stat... especially given how warm the airport can run sometimes.  Not hitting 40F until 2/24 seems pretty decent... especially since one good southerly flow day can pump 40F up that valley with ease even in mid-winter.

40 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This has been one of the more mundane winters that I can recall....and by "mundane", I do not mean a dearth of snow, before Steve bites my head off with a NB assault. Just a complete lack of anomalies in my area.....normal snow, no punishing arctic shots, and no real torches. Just a meteorological flat line of a stretch....yes, I know south of the pike had a NB snowfall season...I don't need to see the pics of the dogs frolicking in snow banks. I get it.

The sole noteworthy event of this winter for me was the Feb 1 snow event...and by not noteworthy, I also mean that it was not bad, either. It was warm in the means, but mainly because of high mins at night.

47 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I think Sunday will be the warm day, ahead of the next system. Expecting 50’s even up here...

Completely agree ..

heh, I track 'nape' and spring balm days at this time of year like the Will - Ray apparatus does winter storms from Novie to ... well, July - lol...just kidding guys. 

But, Sunday has stuck out for few cycles and this Euro run really is the most impressive with it. ...Not sure if we can push 70 over a snow pack - it'll be interesting if we have one at sun up on the day ... seeing where that ends up ... But this has that look ( blw..), and would definitely do the season's first 70 F afternoon from midriff New England down if it were up to bare Earth... Maybe pretty mild up your way/both either way...  This is 12z operational Euro inside of 4.5 days so ...it's got some confidence with continuity also adding to it - both.   So, it starts out clear at +4 to +6 C ( +1 up your way ), we'll just have to see where the ceiling RH situates ...should be dry enough for mainly sun through 18z... And that "small bubble no trouble" high is perfectly situated for west wind delivering even shore points of E Mass some balm.   LOL all the while, look at the cold air in Canada - yikes!

image.thumb.png.451dfc1cb2dc9a15e5236d266c52eb07.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Completely agree ..

heh, I track 'nape' and spring balm days at this time of year like the Will - Ray apparatus does winter storms from Novie to ... well, July - lol...just kidding guys. 

But, Sunday has stuck out for few cycles and this Euro run really is the most impressive with it. ...Not sure if we can push 70 over a snow pack - it'll be interesting if we have one at sun up on the day ... seeing where that ends up ... But this has that look ( blw..), and would definitely do the season's first 70 F afternoon from midriff New England down if it were up to bare Earth... Maybe pretty mild up your way/both either way...  This is 12z operational Euro inside of 4.5 days so ...it's got some confidence with continuity also adding to it - both.   So, it starts out clear at +4 to +6 C ( +1 up your way ), we'll just have to see where the ceiling RH situates ...should be dry enough for mainly sun through 18z... And that "small buggle no trouble" high is perfectly situated for west wind delivering even shore points of E Mass some balm.   LOL all the while, look at the cold air in Canada - yikes!

image.thumb.png.451dfc1cb2dc9a15e5236d266c52eb07.png

I'll probably be checking out soon, at least until cane season ramps up.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This has been one of the more mundane winters that I can recall....and by "mundane", I do not mean a dearth of snow, before Steve bites my head off with a NB assault. Just a complete lack of anomalies in my area.....normal snow, no punishing arctic shots, and no real torches. Just a meteorological flat line of a stretch....yes, I know south of the pike had a NB snowfall season...I don't need to see the pics of the dogs frolicking in snow banks. I get it.

The sole noteworthy event of this winter for me was the Feb 1 snow event...and by not noteworthy, I also mean that it was not bad, either. It was warm in the means, but mainly because of high mins at night.

wait, wuh? Are you ignoring the grinch?