• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

Could you feel that touch of spring in the air Tuesday afternoon? Indeed, the sun this time of year is strong enough that even on a day that stays in the 40s, it still feels different — full of hope and promise. When this winter finally is over it will have been marked mostly by the pandemic, but also of a February which brought cold and snow the likes of which we haven’t seen since 2015. While Boston’s snow this month has been near average, other areas just west of the city have seen a top 10 snowy February with well over 30 inches!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/23/metro/mild-weather-is-way-this-week-spring-approaches/

37 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Could you feel that touch of spring in the air Tuesday afternoon? Indeed, the sun this time of year is strong enough that even on a day that stays in the 40s, it still feels different — full of hope and promise. When this winter finally is over it will have been marked mostly by the pandemic, but also of a February which brought cold and snow the likes of which we haven’t seen since 2015. While Boston’s snow this month has been near average, other areas just west of the city have seen a top 10 snowy February with well over 30 inches!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/23/metro/mild-weather-is-way-this-week-spring-approaches/

It snowed all afternoon 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

44 minutes ago, dryslot said:

39°F, TORCH!!!

Mid 30s at 7 this AM though it was about 30 last evening.  Just had a couple decent gusts come thru, maybe 25-30 mph.  I thought the wind was coming tomorrow.  Yesterday's high of 40 was the warmest here since the wee hours of 12/26 as we coasted down from the Grinch-torch.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Mid 30s at 7 this AM though it was about 30 last evening.  Just had a couple decent gusts come thru, maybe 25-30 mph.  I thought the wind was coming tomorrow.  Yesterday's high of 40 was the warmest here since the wee hours of 12/26 as we coasted down from the Grinch-torch.

Saw 43°F here yesterday, We will go higher today.

31 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Is there a good way to remove the ice from gutters? Or just let mother nature melt it? Today seems like it would be a decent opportunity for a combination of both mother nature and human intervention.

I put sodium chloride in nylons strategically placed apart. The ice melts and takes the salt away with it. Cleared my drains in 2 days

41 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Is there a good way to remove the ice from gutters? Or just let mother nature melt it? Today seems like it would be a decent opportunity for a combination of both mother nature and human intervention.

My neighbor puts rock salt in old socks, ties 'em off, and lobs them up there about every 4 foot down the length of the roof... He tries for 18" from the eave.

That's more of an on-going maintenance thing though.  Not sure about an immediate need.  I'd almost take your garden hose and see if you snake it through the kitchen window, a Gerry rig it to to the sink faucet... Turn on the warm water and it's a 5 minute operation.. although - haha now that I think about it... nah don't do that.  Cause the weight before the ice lets go may realize the bigger problem -

My roof is more sloped.  I don't know if that's specifically why, but I don't seem to have as much damming issue... uh, that I know of.. heh.

I had a coworking once who didn't realize that the back water behind multiple years of ice damming had been flowing down the inside of his walls unbeknownst .. until the wall/and ceiling catastrophically sagged/partially collapsed... that's an extreme stroke of bad luck though ...

I think they sell something like that though, with with the salt idea ... and it won't corrode shingles.

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I put sodium chloride in nylons strategically placed apart. The ice melts and takes the salt away with it. Cleared my drains in 2 days

Agreed.  I did that back in 2015, and it worked wonders.  Any good ice melt product should do the trick.  We used the nylons because we needed to break thru the dams on the roof as well to create some drainage.  If it is just in the gutters, you can probably put ice melt/sodium chloride directly on the ice .  I think we did that too, but I'm sure someone will let us know if that is a bad idea.  Also chipped a lot away, but you have to be careful not to damage the gutters, the shingles, and your elbow.

Wow, nicking 48 in very light wind bathing in unabated sun under Bahama blue sky ... on Feb 24 - this is 110% nape out there.

Fake warmth incarnate - you could walk down the street in a t--shirt and think it's 60+ ...

Let's see.  NAM and MAV are both 50 to 51 at various sites today.  Seems it's a good day to offer up a MOS bust - not atypical to do that in the spring uh... even though it is not even out of climatological winter.  But I was actually surprised to see the MOS that high -

I and thought for sure they'd be 45 .. yet we'd make 50 ...something like that.  So it'll be interesting to see if they hit that.  We should at least get to that high -