Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s also placement and magnitude too. But if you look at general NAO states, the big boys have had a -NAO. It is true though that overall the correlation weakens in NNE in terms of what base state of the NAO matters for seasonal snowfall.

thank you very much ... wonderin' when someone might hit on that -

It's not a 'blocking vs no blocking' question.  Of course not.

There are multi-variate circumstantial/conditional influences there ... You could have a PF to Phinn axis of evil, 30" juggernaut in any SD of blocking depending on what's going on to offset destructive interference, or adding to constructive ones. 

It may be that -3 west based NAOs are harder to do it.. .vice versa the other way or whatever, but there's no on or off about it -

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah this year we had some bad luck too. Seemed like confluence was just enough to shear out systems coming from the Plains and southern US. The true arctic cold was really only the last two weeks and driven through the west and plains. But you can look at it alternatively. The confluence also helped reduce the cutter potential. There’s a good chance that without the confluence, storms would have been a lot milder for New England.

I agree, this winter left some on the table considering the pattern. A great example of bad luck is 2/1, I got about 8 inches but just a 30 min drive to the NW and there’s 18 inches of snow. My area wasn’t even the area to get screwed over the most, Boston got like 2 inches and just 10 miles to the NW had nearly 2 feet, thats about as sharp a gradient you can get. That’s just plain bad luck, in my opinion 9/10 winters with similar atmospheric drivers to this one would have SNE getting hammered with 70+ inches of snow (except maybe the cape, r/s lines are extremely hard to avoid there). The polar vortex was just a bit too far west, but it was close. It’s not like the last 2 years where it was sitting over the North Pole.

12 minutes ago, George001 said:

I agree, this winter left some on the table considering the pattern. A great example of bad luck is 2/1, I got about 8 inches but just a 30 min drive to the NW and there’s 18 inches of snow. My area wasn’t even the area to get screwed over the most, Boston got like 2 inches and just 10 miles to the NW had nearly 2 feet, thats about as sharp a gradient you can get. That’s just plain bad luck, in my opinion 9/10 winters with similar atmospheric drivers to this one would have SNE getting hammered with 70+ inches of snow (except maybe the cape, r/s lines are extremely hard to avoid there). The polar vortex was just a bit too far west, but it was close. It’s not like the last 2 years where it was sitting over the North Pole.

Well that was just not a good setup, I don’t attribute it to bad luck per se. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

It's amazing how nice a 30F sunny day feels even this time of year. I'm all for a couple more biggies, but please sprinkle some 50F sunny days in between. TIA

Today was the first day I noticed the solar gain.  Even at temps solidly below freezing (max of 26F, dew of 5F), snowpacked pavement was getting torched and melting.  Fist time of the season seeing melting on pavement in sunshine while the snowpack itself stays cold/dry.

33 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What exactly is poppycock?   George says next year is big Nina.   It that happens ratter likelihood goes way up given it would be year 2.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Big Ninas are generally hostile, anyway....that is an indisputable fact.

Least favorable ENSO state. 

In DC I agree, but in southern New England ninas are generally better. I would rather have a record strong Nina than another strong nino, those always seem to screw us.

http://www.solarstorms.org/Boston.html

data shows that Boston averages more snow in ninas than ninos overall.

49 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Hung out up in Heath this afternoon with some besties, I was quite impressed with the snow @ 1500’.    This is a full SW facing, sloped yard and it had a solid 18 inch snow depth.  Definitely more snow there than at Berkshire East in Charlemont.  imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486c794D7559-5F21-44B1-9DF3-6237E47A6153.thumb.jpeg.af93e82c838e489a2126ad7c8586f654.jpeg

Nice. Ice fishing day today. Sun felt great reflecting off the snow

20210221_094848.jpg

Screenshot_20210221-094323_Gallery.jpg

16 minutes ago, George001 said:

In DC I agree, but in southern New England ninas are generally better. I would rather have a record strong Nina than another strong nino, those always seem to screw us.

http://www.solarstorms.org/Boston.html

data shows that Boston averages more snow in ninas than ninos overall.

What is the average Boston snow for strong Nina vs strong nino?

Definitely need some snow up here in the North Country after the sleet storm. The pack is kinda crusty and gross in spots. 

Been nothing but moose fart dust for weeks. Need a solid 6-10 here. Models are not encouraging. Seems dry for a while and then a parade of warm inland runners take Old Man Winter out behind the woodshed and murder him.

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What is the average Boston snow for strong Nina vs strong nino?

image.jpeg.63fa87c26e45a6a12e4b6ff3aa1b8d85.jpegaccording to this chart, Boston averages around 40 in strong ninas and low 30s in Strong ninos. Weak ninos are actually really good here, but moderate and strong ninos suck here. That’s why it’s weird to me to see the strong Nina=ratter idea being thrown around on a New England forum, our chances in a strong Nina are around the same as our chances during an enso neutral winter. The only enso states that signal below-well below average are mod-strong ninos.

3 minutes ago, George001 said:

image.jpeg.63fa87c26e45a6a12e4b6ff3aa1b8d85.jpegaccording to this chart, Boston averages around 40 in strong ninas and low 30s in Strong ninos. Weak ninos are actually really good here, but moderate and strong ninos suck here. That’s why it’s weird to me to see the strong Nina=ratter idea being thrown around on a New England forum, our chances in a strong Nina are around the same as our chances during an enso neutral winter. The only enso states that signal below-well below average are mod-strong ninos.

I’m not sure the sample size is bog enough.  But in general I agree on a one off I’d take Nina but the second year is traditionally bad in strong ones.

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Definitely need some snow up here in the North Country after the sleet storm. The pack is kinda crusty and gross in spots. 

Been nothing but moose fart dust for weeks. Need a solid 6-10 here. Models are not encouraging. Seems dry for a while and then a parade of warm inland runners take Old Man Winter out behind the woodshed and murder him.

Bitch

download (20).png

download (21).png

• Haha 4

Love driving around here this time of year with all the different microclimates. The sheltered northern valleys have that really deep winter look. Snow was actually blowing across the lake this morning. Sun felt great and the views spectacular. It always sucks knowing we are in the last gasps. Great December until the cutter and a top notch February. Hopefully we can have a blockbuster to wrap it up. 

• Confused 1