Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

6 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Not sure if this is me getting screwed or if this is how Rockport scores in a decent winter. Locals are mixed. 

What we lack in snow, views like this on a morning run make up for it. 

435D06E8-8BC4-46C6-B21F-414FF4984B59.jpeg

Sticking out there in the water will hurt, but I’m sure the way cashed in recent years too. I love to at town. You’ll enjoy the benefit in the summer while Phin is sweating his ass of in nrn NH again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Agree

Deep cold and snow is done until next winter. Sad to see winter go.

I'm not sad.....season featured a couple of nice events within an overall sea of disappointment, yet again. Seasonal call was pretty accurate, February temps not withstanding.

Ready for change and reshuffle the deck next year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Blocking  really helped us down here. I'm 10 inches above my average to date.

Frustrating few years here....porked the last two years in el nino seasons that acted more like la nina in the absence of blocking. Nice snow was NW.

Now this year, screwed in a la nina acting more like an el nino WITH blocking. ...nice snow was SW.

Bad streak in this area, with some snake bitten luck being bent over on every direction by each ENSO state.

• Like 2

The other winter where there was briefly a massive disparity was in January 2003. We went out one night to Somerville and then in Woburn right off 93 on the Montvale Ave exit. That has to be like 6 miles as the crow flies? I swear there was a 12” difference in snowpack. I was astonished. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

The other winter where there was briefly a massive disparity was in January 2003. We went out one night to Somerville and then in Woburn right off 93 on the Montvale Ave exit. That has to be like 6 miles as the crow flies? I swear there was a 12” difference in snowpack. I was astonished. 

That was really only Feb 1 this year...difference is N Mass wasn't screwed that season.

32 minutes ago, weathafella said:

If we get a record strong nina next year after this years robust nina it typically means major major dead ratter next winter.

I disagree, the dead ratter Enso state in New England is a strong El Niño, that’s the enso state we avg the least amount of snow in. I’ll take a record strong Nina over a record strong El Niño any day. In fact the strongest La Niña on record, 2010-2011, was an epic winter NYC north. This winter ended up as an avg-above avg winter here, but was very close to being more. From what I read over at the pattern drivers thread the nina pattern didn’t really take over until Feb, which is when we got our snowiest month. I don’t really understand the anti Nina sentiment here, our area does fairly well in ninas, it’s the mid Atlantic that gets screwed by them. Ninos tend to screw us and be congrats DC when moderate or strong (we can do well in weak ninos though).

17 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Blocking  really helped us down here. I'm 10 inches above my average to date.

It was more than blocking. It was the overall placement and orientation of the long wave trough this year. Believe it or not, I think the -PNA actually benefitted your area, too bc it kept shredding systems that otherwise would have nailed NE. The blocking did this more earlier in the season when there was a +PNA, but then later in the season when it kept happening event when the NAO neutralized some be because the RNA developed and kept a compressed flow in place. The energy would dump west, and begin to attenuate on approach to the east coast. This is also why everything was LBSW in that it would nail NYC/NJ longitude, and peter out some over here.That is something unique to this season bc regardless of blocking and how the Pac look, latitude is usually beneficial in la nina...look at 2010-2011. NYC did well, but NE better.

Not this year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tip may get his furnace Morch this year . I wouldn’t hate it

I get the hyperbole ..it's all good. 

But, my thing is about the spring season as a whole, as not being like the last several - that's really it in a nut shell. I never actually put a price tag on March, per se.. although, I think that's the flip month.

Yeah, I've had to use some demonstrative rhetoric, but .. when one is going against the tide, they have to employ more momentum to get a current of different point of view across ;)  ...you know what I mean.

I'm not saying March will roast - Lol... though, like you - I wouldn't hate it.  Admittedly...

I think the EPS "coming around" - to early to tell, and the GEFs over night as also getting even more indicative of a complete and utter hemispheric pattern change... when then adding these to the climate modes of La Nina and HC expansion stuff...  

The three of those do not really connote -NAO and 2018 walking through the door.  Nor do they connote packing pellet CAA days into May, either. 

Whether that torches March or April or May remains to be seen.  It's like what Scott was joking about earlier ...how you just sort of prime your canvas with 'AN' and go from there?  Well, we are add emphasis to the positive direction...  So it's actually four layers to the warm spring idea:   present telecon spread + La Nina climo + HC expansion + CC... 

Probably in that order, too.   It should be pointed out that in terms of order of magnitude, the telecon spread comes first...etc... 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The Northern crew has long hated blocking... but then Will usually chimes in with a never ending list of big snowstorms during blocking or -NAO winters.

It’s also placement and magnitude too. But if you look at general NAO states, the big boys have had a -NAO. It is true though that overall the correlation weakens in NNE in terms of what base state of the NAO matters for seasonal snowfall.

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s also placement and magnitude too. But if you look at general NAO states, the big boys have had a -NAO. It is true though that overall the correlation weakens in NNE in terms of what base state of the NAO matters for seasonal snowfall.

What bullshit did we have this winter where there was a blocking shredder running 24/7 up here but it wasn’t even cold? Basically all the bad aspects and none of the good. 

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What bullshit did we have this winter where there was a blocking shredder running 24/7 up here but it wasn’t even cold? Basically all the bad aspects and none of the good. 

09-10 we had a lot of stale cold airmasses up here from the blocking. It’s consistently cold, but the arctic shots are more of a maritime arctic than a continental arctic. I think that was part of our problem this year. Then when we did have vodka cold drop out of Canada it dropped its load well to the west. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George001 said:

I disagree, the dead ratter Enso state in New England is a strong El Niño, that’s the enso state we avg the least amount of snow in. I’ll take a record strong Nina over a record strong El Niño any day. In fact the strongest La Niña on record, 2010-2011, was an epic winter NYC north. This winter ended up as an avg-above avg winter here, but was very close to being more. From what I read over at the pattern drivers thread the nina pattern didn’t really take over until Feb, which is when we got our snowiest month. I don’t really understand the anti Nina sentiment here, our area does fairly well in ninas, it’s the mid Atlantic that gets screwed by them. Ninos tend to screw us and be congrats DC when moderate or strong (we can do well in weak ninos though).

No George you miss my point.   2nd year big ninas are most often terrible winters here.