Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, trying to tell myself March is a winter month there. By March 15th winter is really on it's deathbed in MD (if it ever lived in the first place) but records say Randolph is good through early April.

I was at Gorham and Wildcat in the third week of March 2019 (when I still lived in MD), and stopped by at Mt Snow on my way back home to MD since it was a powder day. During that trip I completely forgot that spring had officially started, and the snowpack had to be at least 3' deep around Pinkham Notch. Not to mention some bitterly cold days up the mountain.

Unless it's a debacle blowtorch like March 2012, winter will go on for many weeks or months to come up your way.

It appears that the models have the polar vortex going over the North Pole in early March. I’m not optimistic at all anymore for March, in my opinion this is going to be the last storm we see this winter. It looks like my area is going to end up with 50 inches or so (10 more, from this storm+everything rest of feb into March) The pattern left a bit on the table but a 50 inch snow year is nothing to complain about in interior southeast mass, that’s a decent winter and way better than I thought with how things looked in November. My March forecast is gonna bust bad, I didn’t think the polar vortex would go to the North Pole but it looks like it will now. Oh well, at least the warmer weather will make for nice spring skiing as we head into mid March. It has been fun tracking but I’m gonna dip until next winter, and will definitely be taking advantage of what appears to be an early fishing season coming. Im going to use the site that was reccomended to me to do some reading over the summer, hopefully that will help me develop a better understanding that is reflected in the improved quality of my posts next winter. I will always be a weenie like Anthony and James are,  but I would like to be a more knowledgeable weenie. One thing I will say, NNE posters like Dendy and Phineas will likely be very happy with the upcoming pattern, as it appears that there will be several rainstorms right over my house as we enter March. That’s usually good for you guys up there in terms of snow.

27 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I wanted to follow up on a couple of PF’s comments as well – he’s making some great points.

Mean snowfall through Feb 18th at our site is 108.3”, so if your neighbor is at 112” at this point, that’s probably very close to average.  As you said yourself, you’ll have to clear away that Mid Atlantic mindset about winter being anywhere near over, so you can’t think of that 112” as anything near your season total.  In an average season, your site has still got 60”+ of snow yet to fall.

And that snowpack at your place – I’m not sure you’re going to want to hear this, but it’s possible that it’s even slightly above average.  Your neighbor has been reporting snowpack depths between 2 and 3 feet for the past month, and we’d obviously have to look at the data, but that actually could be a bit high for this time of year.  Snowpack depth at your site probably peaks at some point in March, so it’s still increasing.  Also note that it looks like your neighbor is reporting 6 to 7 inches of liquid in the snowpack, and that may very well be ahead of average pace, even if the depth is about average.

Trust in your climate, and don’t let those SNE/MA Cobra Kai guys intimidate you with their sass about flash-in-the-pan progressive systems!

HappyMrMiyagi.jpg

The snowpack has definitely been awesome since mid January. It has barely budged for weeks. No issues there.

I am just craving a big wound-up system with some wind, I think. Doesn't need to be more than 10".

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, alex said:

One thing to keep in mind and keep things in perspective... We REGULARLY get frost and freezes in June. 

Last June was super hot though. I think I brought a minor curse on NNE by moving here from a snow hellhole, but my one year penance is already nearly up!

Regular climo will return soon. I held off on buying a snowmobile this year and that helped keep us from having a 2015-2016 repeat. :) 

• Weenie 1

I don't want to sound like a whiner. This has been the greatest winter of my life and it isn't event close. Part of how I interact with this board is through whining and trolling, though. I have nearly 25,000 posts so I have been here a while and I go back to the WWBB days.

@ORH_wxman and @dendrite know that. :) 

This first winter here has been amazing for me and the NE crew has been incredibly welcoming. The best subforum here by far. @HoarfrostHubb @dryslot @Lava Rock @Damage In Tolland @CoastalWx @40/70 Benchmark @weathafella @powderfreak @J.Spin @Ginx snewx and many others have been great.

I just want one more 10" storm with some wind and then I am ready for spring and my place at the beach with heat, haze, and humidity.

Yes, this is a melt.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I don't want to sound like a whiner. This has been the greatest winter of my life and it isn't event close. Part of how I interact with this board is through whining and trolling, though. I have nearly 25,000 posts so I have been here a while and I go back to the WWBB days.

This first winter here has been amazing for me and the NE crew has been incredibly welcoming. The best subforum here by far. @HoarfrostHubb @dryslot @Lava Rock @Damage In Tolland @CoastalWx @40/70 Benchmark @weathafella @powderfreak @J.Spin @Ginx snewx and many others have been great.

I just want one more 10" storm with some wind and then I am ready for spring and my place at the beach with heat, haze, and humidity.

Yes, this is a melt.

It would be pretty shocking if you don’t have another 10” storm there between now and mid April. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, this is a melt.

Lol dude this subforum does rock. You fit in well knowing how sardonic and ball busting we can be. I could go on and on about the epic March's up there.  I don't live there but my 40 plus years of spending between  1 and 2 weeks up there every March since 1980 gives me  perspective. You also are in a great retention spot. Often VT is melted out while your area is enveloped in a deep pack late into March. The best skiing of my life as been in March and April up there. The best part is how warm the sun feels as you rip up the corn snow with occasional epic deep powder. Thanks for the shout out  Enjoy This was March 25th 2014 in Newry Maine at our condo.

0318141903.jpg

• Like 2

Phin venting is great. But I agree with Jspin. Clear away the MA mindset and enjoy the 30+ inches you’ll have out there. No doubt that will be built upon. You’ve been great at acclimating to the ball busting.  Enjoy the vibe up there. 
One last thing, do you take any measurements yourself? You should go out and see what you have on the ground, or for storm totals. Curious how it compares to the COOP dude. You’re near 1400’ right and he’s a couple hundred higher?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, this is a melt.

Yeah man you go way back, I remember back on WWBB when we all used to post in one forum.  It’s been fantastic to have another regular poster from the mountains in the north.  Keeps the conversation going, especially a long time poster.  Solid trade pick up by NNE.

I bet you have at least 40” of snowfall left.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, this is a melt.

We appreciate the drunken love from last night. Let’s try and make New England great again !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1