Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

2 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

It's over

artworks-000234553088-znizrh-t500x500.jpg

It's not "over" either...

Look, both sides of the question seem to knee jerk to extremes every ensemble cycle ...

It may take a couple of week .. maybe even three -

The question's really related to how spring will begin to arrive, subsequent early speculation about what form it takes - then, deeper into March. At which point.. it should be f'n over.  I think there's been some local-decadal scaled conditioning to 'expect' winter to protract into the spring, but March is fickle.. and 1/3 of them have been above normal with embedded obscene heat since 2000 anyway. It just that over the last 5 years, that has been rarefied.  It's really more like a signal that gets us a better chance for one of those 1/3 warm years ... in March

Fairly? - it probably shouldn't have really be brought up in this thread - you can thank yours truly ... Pretty sure I posted about this last week when the GEFs handling of the AO clearly and concertedly, every member included, tightly aligned along a +5 SD recovery ... It's just that the ballast of that recovery starts ..now ( really ..) through March 1.  We don't really do threads that are seasonal-based.

If anything, last night's CPC as anyone can go see ...is even more recovered - with unusual concerted agreement.  That looks like a warm spring hemisphere in that particular teleconnector out there into the first week of March. 

It's funny ... while that is happening the operational GFS looks like it cannot actually be a part of its own ensemble system - like it stands apart as an distinctly different physically scaffold'ed model design!  It could not be more diametrically opposed. If it were more in disagreement out there toward week two, it would be modeling on a different planet altogether.  

I don't think the recent trend and current "panache" of its board of ensemble members like the direction of the chair in this case.. and proooobably are gunning for the latter's retirement for being too old and out-moded, and not seeing the direction of the company.   ...Ha, I like that metaphor.  It's like "Meet Joe Black," only the Reeper in this case is the combination the La Nina and the HC expansion working together, under and the inevitable return of the sun. 

So with every member having recovered all the way to +1 or 1.5 SD, and the PNA slipping negative... and the NAO neutral positive ... There is no combination of those larger mass field indicators that really suggests anything resembling the GFS hyperbole winter signal will take place... It attempts a monster -EPO, cold dump... setting up Canada to justify what it does every year at this time... pump out model runs that end summer until next Thanks Giving!

But I'm being hypobolic

The GFS does this every year around this time ... It's native physics some how, some way ...negates seasonal change.   I think it is just uniquely qualified not to detect spring because the model also rages in a N/stream hard-on, most of the time anyway.  It runs some -6 to -10 dm colder heights N of the ambient polar jet compared to all over guidance, at all times, beginning beyond D4 .. 5, and growing more discernible the deeper on in range.  Since this modulation appears to maybe need a threshold out there...week two, its likely to see it last ..and then argue when it starts to see, too.

There could be a storm with blue bomb/snow potential Feb 23-25th.  The GGEM/Euro/ GFS ...and every GEF members carries a trough through eastern N/A during that time, and there is still substantive cold N of the 40 within grabbing distance ...

• Like 2

Spring was already under way here on the CT shoreline weeks ago. I had dandelions and weeds coming up, my roses were leafing out, bulbs sprouting.

Any exposed grass is brown but under my pack my lawn is lush and green.

Was digging out some firewood and the lawn looks great under the pack.

20210212-161351.jpg

• Like 4

Euro is pretty cold too for 2/18. At the moment that one looks a bit similar to Tuesday except the PV which was originally supposed to settle in ahead of Tuesday, actually settles in after Tuesday and we have an arctic antecedent airmass which would be better for starting as snow. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Euro is pretty cold too for 2/18. At the moment that one looks a bit similar to Tuesday except the PV which was originally supposed to settle in ahead of Tuesday, actually settles in after Tuesday and we have an arctic antecedent airmass which would be better for starting as snow. 

the cold comes pouring into Wednesday and Thursday?  That always makes for a better storm, better ratios, and a whole better feel to the event.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

VDay 1962 was more impressive imho

:lol:

I can think of 50 storms that were/are ...  - although, yeah yeah they didn't happen to fall on this fateful day.

I think that "yore" is really more of a highlight as to the cultural/adaptive relevancy of era for "big" events.    It's why I kinda sorta wonder how bad it really was for the Colonials when/ if one could ever imagine transporting our modern tech and standards for recovery ... back in time? 

Like, 'magine if General Custard had a couple of Gatling Guns pointed up those hills ?  

1940 wasn't exactly burlap clothed clothing, .. or wading through it to take a shit at 2:13 am in a "blizzard" ... out of a drafty log cabin hosting earwigs and silverfish ... no.  But, that era did not benefit from posi-traction slip differential SUV's that could rover Mars ... either. Nor were households impervious to the elements with central masturbatory heating ... while refrigerators were full of 7 layer dips waiting for the convenience of the microwaves for dipping during any in the constelation of overly stimulating Internet and television distractions that give us the illusion of dystopia -

Like, 'magine taking anyone from today back to a 6-10" snow storm of 1740 ... sans these conveniences ?  

Oh my god!!! 8-15 inches was traffic arresting for days ..

shit, that much doesn't even stop me from ordering a pizza now -

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Valentines Day 2007 will always be my true love.

80AA43EF-F644-4F43-9221-5222BFDB894E.jpeg.fa71039b7f55748ce4dbe51e864d763e.jpeg

8433DE6A-3228-4771-A00D-8EEABEB5EEBB.thumb.jpeg.2782ff1db07b31d8c2c639a6c135e0bd.jpeg

F2383564-8B92-46FB-AF57-64F1654C8767.thumb.jpeg.9078629e6fc577002b264332fee17961.jpeg

I lived in Burlington from 2006-2010 when my wife was at UVM. My memory is a little fuzzy from that time frame.. Lol. But I remember it being redicously cold and snowy those years. I wish I still had my pictures from that storm. My car was buried to the roof. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH doesn't break freezing until day 9 on the Euro after over 2 inches of some kind of precip has fallen.  

download (64).png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

:lol:

I can think of 50 storms that were/are ...  - although, yeah yeah they didn't happen to fall on this fateful day.

I think that "yore" is really more of a highlight as to the cultural/adaptive relevancy of era for "big" events.    It's why I kinda sorta wonder how bad it really was for the Colonials when/ if one could ever imagine transporting our modern tech and standards for recovery ... back in time? 

Like, 'magine if General Custard had a couple of Gatling Guns pointed up those hills ?  

1940 wasn't exactly burlap clothed clothing, .. or wading through it to take a shit at 2:13 am in a "blizzard" ... out of a drafty log cabin hosting earwigs and silverfish ... no.  But, that era did not benefit from posi-traction slip differential SUV's that could rover Mars ... either. Nor were households impervious to the elements with central masturbatory heating ... while refrigerators were full of 7 layer dips waiting for the convenience of the microwaves for dipping during any in the constelation of overly stimulating Internet and television distractions that give us the illusion of dystopia -

Like, 'magine taking anyone from today back to a 6-10" snow storm of 1740 ... sans these conveniences ?  

Oh my god!!! 8-15 inches was traffic arresting for days ..

shit, that much doesn't even stop me from ordering a pizza now -

Have you ever read the 2 volume set of Early American Winters by David Ludlum? 

20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

ORH doesn't break freezing until day 9 on the Euro after over 2 inches of some kind of precip has fallen.  

download (64).png

Yeah the hemispheric pattern is changing but it’s still pretty cold here through D10...we’ll see what happens beyond that but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a couple legit threats in the Feb 22-26 time range.