Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

1 minute ago, White Rain said:

Our roads locally were covered in so much tree debris it was undriveable, literally trees and branches all over our entire road, every powerline was also down and/or across the road (not an exageration). We had some heavy ice at the end that took down a monster tree in our backyard and scared the crap out of me and my wife. I regret not taking any pictures that day until most of the ice had melted. Too busy being worried about lost power and getting a generator.

This was from along route 190 in Sterling that another resident took - not sure of the height but almost 100% lower than here. Being on the far east side with relatively high elevation made things worse than compareable height areas to the west. Although once you were high enough it didn’t matter, Wachusett ridge areas were the worst, but lower areas of Princeton were not as bad as here. Main areas of Leominster were not as bad either, but most areas there are in 300-350’ range, their power companies failed them though in restoring power. We were lucky to have our own light department.

I hope we dont get a repeat in my lifetime, still tons of damage visible in woods behind our house.

55D8EE96-4C70-430E-952C-18627E1A49AA.thumb.jpeg.381d6acb8ec592091094131a86f6db80.jpeg

:damage:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

We had a legit ice storm here maybe three years ago? At least .5" of accretion. Lots of trees and lines down. 

Last season 19-20 and the season before 18-19 we got two 0.5" damaging ice storms. The Jan 19 one was worse because of the winds and arctic temperatures sweeping in right after it ended. Dec 19 was also very bad due to the amounts of ice alone. 

12_17.19_ice_totals.thumb.jpg.f68fac0cfda0a5fca3a6efccfea8d151.jpg01_20.19_ice_totals.thumb.jpg.11bfd1d6b77915540477a26d9224a807.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Last season 19-20 and the season before 18-19 we got two 0.5" damaging ice storms. The Jan 19 one was worse because of the winds and arctic temperatures sweeping in right after it ended. Dec 19 was also very bad due to the amounts of ice alone. 

12_17.19_ice_totals.thumb.jpg.f68fac0cfda0a5fca3a6efccfea8d151.jpg01_20.19_ice_totals.thumb.jpg.11bfd1d6b77915540477a26d9224a807.jpg

Funny, I have no recollection of the one last year at all. 

44 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Depending on how close you are to the border 2008 may have been pretty good in Methuen. My inlaws live in Haverhill near the river...there was a glaze there but not much damage, it increased rapidly in the northern part of Haverhill near the border. 

I remember sitting at their house in Haverhill watching Bouchard on WHDH. He meh'd it and basically said it was going above freezing out to AFN. Meanwhile, it was pouring ZR right to sea level in NE MA. 

Can confirm. West side of Methuen bordering Dracut/Pelham NH was a disaster. I don’t remember exactly but it was 10+ days of no power. I was home from colorado for the holidays and pretty much had no power the full two weeks I was here. Still the most impactful weather event I’ve been a part of. 

I could also skip another 2008 ice storm. Our power was out for 12 days. The roads were drivable, though challenging. And because the plow trucks needed drive up and down the roads, at least sanding, some of the wires that were on the roadway but still attached to houses got ripped off.

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.02.25 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

FB_IMG_1613180071992.jpg

The PA spots looking good, up through NYC and the southern tier of NY east through Albany and southern New England (maxing out at ORH and Bridgeport) with a high percentage of annual snowfall to date.  BOS and PVD doing decent.  BTV and PWM around average (1.3" and 1.7" off normal pace respectfully).

In the annual snowfall records, so far to date its looking like an average to above average snow season relative to standard departures at most climo sites in the northeast.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, White Rain said:

Our roads locally were covered in so much tree debris it was undriveable, literally trees and branches all over our entire road, every powerline was also down and/or across the road (not an exageration). We had some heavy ice at the end that took down a monster tree in our backyard and scared the crap out of me and my wife. I regret not taking any pictures that day until most of the ice had melted. Too busy being worried about lost power and getting a generator.

This was from along route 190 in Sterling that another resident took - not sure of the height but almost 100% lower than here. Being on the far east side with relatively high elevation made things worse than compareable height areas to the west. Although once you were high enough it didn’t matter, Wachusett ridge areas were the worst, but lower areas of Princeton were not as bad as here. Main areas of Leominster were not as bad either, but most areas there are in 300-350’ range, their power companies failed them though in restoring power. We were lucky to have our own light department.

I hope we dont get a repeat in my lifetime, still tons of damage visible in woods behind our house.

55D8EE96-4C70-430E-952C-18627E1A49AA.thumb.jpeg.381d6acb8ec592091094131a86f6db80.jpeg

I had an appt in Lunenburg right after the ice storm, it looked like the area was bombed with trees and branches down all over the place, I have pics somewhere, Ill try and dig them up. The only sound I heard was generators for the lucky ones that had one.

2/18-19 is looking a bit more thumpy on a lot of runs...it is one silver lining of the 2/16 system going to crap since it lowers heights behind it and helps out 2/18 a little more. This one still looks messy as the system tries to hug but the antecedent airmass is pretty good. 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

2/18-19 is looking a bit more thumpy on a lot of runs...it is one silver lining of the 2/16 system going to crap since it lowers heights behind it and helps out 2/18 a little more. This one still looks messy as the system tries to hug but the antecedent airmass is pretty good. 

Yea might be a pretty good one.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Rains to Jermaine’s?

I'm sure weenies will criticize me, but just stating what the EPS shows. Since the -NAO looks to be rather weak, I'm not sure how you tame that SE ridge that will pop from continued winter out west and in the Plains. Maybe we get one of these things to drag a deep cold front into the east and set up a decent airmass ahead of any low. The blocking looks meh as the AO rises which is a change from several days ago. PV looks stout at 50mb too. SSW effects are about done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm sure weenies will criticize me, but just stating what the EPS shows. Since the -NAO looks to be rather weak, I'm not sure how you tame that SE ridge that will pop from continued winter out west and in the Plains. Maybe we get one of these things to drag a deep cold front into the east and set up a decent airmass ahead of any low. The blocking looks meh as the AO rises which is a change from several days ago. PV looks stout at 50mb too. SSW effects are about done.

Yep that looks pretty different from even a few days ago. The PV consolidates very strongly by day 10. NAO has been underestimated all winter but it’s starting to insist that it finally loses its influence. We’ll see. 

It does look like dateline ridging tries to pop again but without a strong Atlantic block, it will definitely be fighting a SE ridge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dryslot said:

I'm all set with them Tom,  I'll have to take your word on the 1953 one..............:)

Jan. 8-9, 1953 (45 years to the day before 1998) on the hills N and W of NYC.  Five miles away and 200' lower it was RA and the hills 200' higher than our 700' had "asparagus trees" - sticks with all the branches piled around them.  Ice fell off on Jan 10 - had 6" cracked ice in our driveway - but it was the 14th before the lights came on.  My 2nd oldest wx memory, behind the 1950 Apps gale.