Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

2 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

If early next week goes well, can snowcover do work there?

I feel like we hear that a lot, but the synoptics usually don't care about that in SNE. If it's a weak low sometimes the cold snowpack can hold back the warming in the interior, but if you are getting a modest storm moving into the Great Lakes and intensifying, snow won't do anything.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I feel like we hear that a lot, but the synoptics usually don't care about that in SNE. If it's a weak low sometimes the cold snowpack can hold back the warming in the interior, but if you are getting a modest storm moving into the Great Lakes and intensifying, snow won't do anything.

Deep snow pack seems to help more for things like coastal fronts. If you have an arctic airmass over deep pack, a CF usually has a much harder time penetrating inland....that low level molasses just provides more resistance with a deep pack.

But yeah, it's not gonna help us if there is a deep H5 low ripping a low into BUF.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Deep snow pack seems to help more for things like coastal fronts. If you have an arctic airmass over deep pack, a CF usually has a much harder time penetrating inland....that low level molasses just provides more resistance with a deep pack.

But yeah, it's not gonna help us if there is a deep H5 low ripping a low into BUF.

Yeah those scenarios with a weaker low sort of moving overhead or west and sometimes winds stay nrly longer with the natural refrigeration. Maybe a weak meso low on the CF. Hopefully that deal on the 6th can become more of a SWFE.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah those scenarios with a weaker low sort of moving overhead or west and sometimes winds stay nrly longer with the natural refrigeration. Maybe a weak meso low on the CF. Hopefully that deal on the 6th can become more of a SWFE.

I think we'll want that 2/1-2/2 event to really take its time moving out....that will help shove the next one south.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think we see a warmer couple of days with some showers quick precip then we reset for a very active period. Pretty common in Feb before a good period.  There is plenty of cold air as Bob alluded to. Good times. First things first though.  

This reminds me of how some were playing it mid-dec. Sure would like to believe things are going to change, but not sold