Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

11 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Right.  Most guidance shows a R/S line for coastal folks.  Maybe Ray will finally appreciate his location in Methuen? 

Heh....I haven't looked at anything, but usually its more crucial to be WEST of I 495, which I am not.

Edit: That is primarily an elevation event on the OP EURO.

3 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

No kidding. That would redeem this winter real fast. 

Tough to shake the feeling that, as John alluded to, this will end up something tamer, like the EURO. Even if the dynamics end up weaker than advertised, one thing that  this one has going for it is duration.

We'll see...I just never trust a HECS/MECS look during a mod la nina.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

7 days out....never set expectations that early. This could still be congrats SLK or a whiff.

It does look at the moment though.

Crazy how consistent the GFS was from 00z to 06z....not that it means anything. Same, exact placement....just intensified the system a bit more aggressively.

As a metaphor ... I referred to this Feb 1-3rd event as a teleconnector "Lagrange point"  - 

Lagranges are points where there is equal gravitational attraction at some distance between celestial bodies in space.  ... essentially equal and opposing force are at equilibrium, and objects that meander into those locations will get stuck in gravitational amber ... no longer experiencing acceleration toward either body.   SOHO satellite makes use of this... and is therefore stationary relative to Earth, even though it and Earth zip around the sun at like 65,000 mph ...heh. True tho - 

That region around 75-70 W longitude/ 40 N is basically becoming like an equilibrium in between.   ...so there happens to be a timed wave mechanics that meanders into the position ... and is stranded by a lack of mode in the PNA exerting, and the NAO relaxation that's also pulling away - it's a node of negative space in that sense. 

Anyway, this thing appears to be less driven by any PNA --> PNAP morphologies.  Yesterday I had impressed that there was some teleconnector convergence here, with the rising PNA and the rising NAO .. But, it doesn't appear looking at the actual operational pattern handling as though there is a +PNA much above  background noise really contributing to that.  I am also wonder if that may change ...?  We may yet see a bit more get conveyed off the Pacific Basin, but as is...this appears to be wave disgards sort of collecting in clogged drainage basin in New England - it does smack of 1969 as Ray whomever that was alluded, if by principle alone at this sort of time lead.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

As a metaphor ... I referred to this Feb 1-3rd event as a teleconnector "Lagrange point"  - 

Lagranges are points exist where there is equal gravitational attraction at some distance between celestial bodies in space.  ... essentially equal and opposing force are at equilibrium, and the object no longer experiences acceleration toward either body.   SOHO satellite makes use of this... and is therefore stationary relative to Earth, even though it and Earth zip around the sun at like 65,000 mph ...heh. True tho - 

That region around 75-70 W longitude/ 40 N is basically becoming like an equilibrium in between.   ...so there happens to be a time wave mechanics that meanders into the position ... and is stranded by a lack of mode in the PNA exerting, and the NAO relaxation that's also pulling away - it's a node of negative space in that sense. 

Anyway, this thing appears to be less driven by any PNA --> PNAP morphologies.  Yesterday I had impressed that there was some teleconnector convergence here, with the rising PNA and the rising NAO .. But, it doesn't appear looking at the actual operational pattern handling as though there is a +PNA much above  background noise really contributing to that.  I am also wonder if that may change ...?  We may yet see a bit more get conveyed off the Pacific Basin, but as is...this appears to be wave disgards sort of collecting in clogged drainage basin in New England - it does smack of 1969 as Ray whomever that was alluded, if by principle alone at this sort of time lead.    

Yea, I said last night it reminded me of Feb '69 displaced to the south about 100mi. Not insane dynamics, but just a protracted period of respectable rates. That event was also primarily NAO driven.

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I said last night it reminded me of Feb '69 displaced to the south about 100mi. Not insane dynamics, but just a protracted period of respectable rates. That event was also primarily NAO driven.

I would be curious to know what the modality - less the in situ mode ... - was during the lead in and playout of that protracted event of lore. 

I am wondering if the index was modulating up or down ... My hunch is either.  CPC and the like only give the index at monthly means throughout history ... Good luck finding intra-weekly discrete analysis from 50 years ago ..ha

• Like 1