• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Jan 25th Wintry Mix Obs and Nowcasting

stormtracker

Now that it’s coming in range I think 3K NAM is the way to go with this one...I just don’t see the onset being snow with the timing mid afternoon and the low that far west. 3K starts as sleet/ice for cities then goes to rain after a few hours. Definitely could be a fairly significant ice situation for the usual spots with this one though but I just don’t buy the couple inches of snow that some modeling has spit out with this one 

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

95% of the population lives near I-95. There hasn't been a real ice storm in that zone since 1994.

You are basically in a totally different climate zone from these people. 

Greatest ice storm of all time.  My young family and I were skiing at Waterville valley in New Hampshire. The night before the storm hit Philly the temperature hit minus 32 degrees at Waterville.  The next morning it was 20 degrees in Philly.  And poring rain. We drove home two days later and the freezing line with ice was brutal.

We lost several trees north and west of Philly.  Everyone lost trees.

The second greatest ice storm happened around 2011-2012.  A little north of us.  Closed 78 and Lehigh university.  A bunch of my daughters Sorority sisters came to stay with us.   That was not to bad. lol 

The trend for drier continues, esp the further north you go. The wave is moving into lots of dry air and high pressure, and looks to dampen. This is what i thought would be the most likely outcome a couple days ago, but the models trended the other way. Now trending back towards weak/de-amplified. This has been the case with nearly every wave attempting to move eastward in this current pattern.

1611651600-3Iou5oQog6M.png

Just now, CAPE said:

The trend for drier continues, esp the further north you go. The wave is moving into lots of dry air and high pressure, and looks to dampen. This is what i thought would be the most likely outcome a couple days ago, but the models trended the other way. Now trending back towards weak/de-amplified. This has been the trend with nearly every wave attempting to move eastward in this current pattern.

the GFS is going to give us a 8-12 inch event on Tuesday for Wednesay night...and then 12 hours before game time...it will show 1-3

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

the GFS is going to give us a 8-12 inch event on Tuesday for Wednesay night...and then 12 hours before game time...it will show 1-3

I wont buy a solution like that unless its there 36 hours prior to game time. This deamplificaiton/suppression/shredding of decent looking shortwaves heading eastward has been persistent as hell since this blocking pattern has established.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The trend for drier continues, esp the further north you go. The wave is moving into lots of dry air and high pressure, and looks to dampen. This is what i thought would be the most likely outcome a couple days ago, but the models trended the other way. Now trending back towards weak/de-amplified. This has been the case with nearly every wave attempting to move eastward in this current pattern.

everything came south except for the snow that the Euro gave us 3 days ago. Remeber the multiple double digit snow runs

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yea but what good does it do anyone if the level of suppression it takes to stay cold also squashes everything to your south.  Look at the axis of qpf. Guidance nailed that from day 10. But that band over northern VA was supposed to be snow and historically it SHOULD be!  This is about the 5th storm this cold season that lacked any appreciable snow shield to the north of it at our latitude because the cold and precip never touched!  

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I wont buy a solution like that unless its there 36 hours prior to game time. This deamplificaiton/suppression/shredding of decent looking shortwaves heading eastward has been persistent as hell since this blocking pattern has established.

Not enough baroclinicity. These boundaries, even now, are lacking the potential energy they should have with a greater temperature gradient. It’s a little better now. At least the waves aren’t squashed to LA lol. But it’s still not enough to get them to amplify much given a suppressed flow. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Yea but what good does it do anyone if the level of suppression it raise to stay cold also squashed everything to your south.  Look at the axis of qpf. Guidance nailed that from day 10. But that band over northern VA was supposed to be snow and historically it SHOULD be!  This is about the 5th storm this cold season that lacked any appreciable snow shield to the north of it at our latitude because the cold and precip never touched!  

I get it. Its odd. But I have accepted that it's just not very cold despite the favorable HL pattern. The reasons can be debated elsewhere I guess.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Strongly agree. 250mb winds are ripping as well and aiding in the shred process. The trend has been for sheared and weak, fast flow.

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Not enough baroclinicity. These boundaries, even now, are lacking the potential energy they should have with a greater temperature gradient. It’s a little better now. At least the waves aren’t squashed to LA lol. But it’s still not enough to get them to amplify much given a suppressed flow. 

Now isn't suppression more nina-like because of the tendency toward more NS activity? (I remember at one time in Jan 2018 seeing a parade of HP's coming down the middle of the country, lol

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Now isn't suppression more nina-like because of the tendency toward more NS activity? (I remember at one time in Jan 2018 seeing a parade of HP's coming down the middle of the country, lol

No. Suppression has to do with the blocking pattern, not ENSO state.

39 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I get it. Its odd. But I have accepted that it's just not very cold despite the favorable HL pattern. The reasons can be debated elsewhere I guess.

Yea but specific to this threat even....I’m BARELY cold enough here to snow. But the significant precip is all to my south.  So what am I rooting for?  Do I want a north trend?  But since the precip is WAA driven if that shifts north the thermals shift north and I literally don’t have any room to give. So short of getting a pity inch on the fringes what’s even the path here? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea but specific to this threat even....I’m BARELY cold enough here to snow. But the significant precip is all to my south.  So what am I rooting for?  Do I want a north trend?  But since the precip is WAA driven of that shifts north the thermals shift north and I literally don’t have any room to give. So short of getting a pity inch on the fringes what’s even the path here? 

Failure. I think this one was always destined for failure, no matter what. That is, if one was hoping for any significant snow. Me? If I can get an inch of frozen, its a mutherfuucking win.

• Like 1