• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 25th Wintry Mix Obs and Nowcasting

stormtracker

FWIW during last October's ice storm in Oklahoma City, the temperature never got below 27, and that was a pretty massive storm (I think almost an inch of accretion?). Not saying that will happen here, but the temperatures don't need to be quite as low as some posters have suggested. 

Anyway, not a new poster (been lurking for years) but figured if I could add some Southern Plains ice knowledge, why not make that my first post!

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, WinterFire said:

FWIW during last October's ice storm in Oklahoma City, the temperature never got below 27, and that was a pretty massive storm (I think almost an inch of accretion?). Not saying that will happen here, but the temperatures don't need to be quite as low as some posters have suggested. 

Anyway, not a new poster (been lurking for years) but figured if I could add some Southern Plains ice knowledge, why not make that my first post!

27 is good.  31-32 not so much in my experience.  Unless you are coming off a very cold period and it’s at night.  We shall see what happens.  

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It misses me to the south kinda with that little snow band....then to the north with the second wave after I flip to ice. So...depending on what happens in the next 10 mins this could be an epic dumpster fire run for me lol. 

Snow chase to my yard?

• Haha 1

Its a messy disjointed system. 12z runs generally seem to bring the best band of waa precip in a bit stronger/ further south, as the leftover precip from the original low heads across PA and much of the area is left in between with just light stuff after the initial 'thump'.

NAM, CMC, and Euro all imply maybe a couple inches of snow/sleet here even. GFS completely sucks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It misses me to the south kinda with that little snow band....then to the north with the second wave after I flip to ice. So...depending on what happens in the next 10 mins this could be an epic dumpster fire run for me lol. 

Honestly this gives me more hope for Thursday. Euro has been terrible with this event too

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Its a messy disjointed system. 12z runs generally seem to bring the best band of waa precip in a bit stronger/ further south, as the leftover precip from the original low heads across PA and much of the area is left in between with just light stuff after the initial 'thump'.

NAM, CMC, and Euro all imply maybe a couple inches of snow/sleet here even. GFS completely sucks.

Yup, GGEM and Euro are way better with thermal profiles in general. Got to favor them and then add in 3k NAM tomorrow.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I don't remember that one, but 22 years ago, so meh.

I don't think it is even possible for DCA and BWI to get a major ice storm these days outside of some kind of crazy anomalous setup not seen in decades. Like sustained --20s and 30s up at my house in Randolph filtering towards down here.

This year is far from it.

Wait you have a house in Randolph?

• Haha 1