• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 25th Wintry Mix Obs and Nowcasting

stormtracker

Remember that any freezing rain accumulation map is simply tallying rain falling with a sfc temp at or below 32;   it is NOT a measure of how much ice will accrete on surfaces.    Looking at the NAM and NAM nest, the temperature during Monday stays at or just above freezing before the precip arrives and then drops to or just below freezing after the precip arrives.    This usually is not a recipe for significant ice accumulation on roads, sidewalks, etc....  although it can accumulate on trees in that scenario.    The only place in the NAM where sfc temps fall a few degrees below freezing is far northern MD.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

In 15 years of living in the city I can't recall ever seeing ice accretion due to freezing rain.. I look forward to this event! 

We have def had ice storms in NW over the past 15 years. It was more than 15 years ago, but there was a huge one in 99’.

41 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

In 15 years of living in the city I can't recall ever seeing ice accretion due to freezing rain.. I look forward to this event! 

We have had ice events. I've even seen non-salted downtown DC sidewalks covered in ice at times,  including one storm a few years ago that started in the evening and persisted into the next afternoon.  What i have never seen, and which the media almost always over hypes beforehand, is an ice event that actually results in ice-covered streets, except for perhaps some side streets in far Upper Northwest DC

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GGEM still with a snowier start for DC and points north.  

I like the Canadian better because it doesn’t have all that ice. I’ll admit it, I’m afraid of ice. We got just a half inch in Winchester a few years ago and it caused a good bit of damage. An inch would be catastrophic.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, real said:

We have had ice events. I've even seen non-salted downtown DC sidewalks covered in ice at times,  including one storm a few years ago that started in the evening and persisted into the next afternoon.  What i have never seen, and which the media almost always over hypes beforehand, is an ice event that actually results in ice-covered streets, except for perhaps some side streets in far Upper Northwest DC

DC isn’t the real world

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

95% of the population lives near I-95. There hasn't been a real ice storm in that zone since 1994.

You are basically in a totally different climate zone from these people. 

Yeah, I have been inside or near the DC beltway since 2010 and we have not had any legit ice events. Plenty of glazed trees, glazed sidewalks, etc; but never significant ice accretion beyond 0.1"

This one I'm expecting more of the same. Grass/colder spots get some snow, then an icy crust. The rain washes everything away on the roads/warmer surfaces.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

95% of the population lives near I-95. There hasn't been a real ice storm in that zone since 1994.

I realize that but you can go 30 miles west of 95 and an ice storm can be a very big deal. I agree that they don’t happen often. I wish they never happened

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We had a terrible one in Jan 99’. At least 1/2 inch of ice.

5 minutes ago, chris21 said:

We had a terrible one in Jan 99’. At least 1/2 inch of ice.

I don't remember that one, but 22 years ago, so meh.

I don't think it is even possible for DCA and BWI to get a major ice storm these days outside of some kind of crazy anomalous setup not seen in decades. Like sustained --20s and 30s up at my house in Randolph filtering towards down here.

This year is far from it.

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

V- day? Mostly sleet.

I think we are talking about the thick glaze on all surfaces stuff. Where it rains at 17 degrees.

Its been the mid 90s since that happened for the lowlands. 2 events in the same winter but I forget the exact year. One had a bunch of sleet and freezing rain. It was a disaster even over here.