Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 25th Wintry Mix Obs and Nowcasting

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

could be a nice thump before the flip - in the usual spots....

The boundary layer was considerably cooler this run compared to the last set. 850mb temps were 1-3C colder at onset which is huge. That was a really nice run. Borderline WSW for the NW folks and a solid WWA for DC proper. Good run

• Like 8

Just now, Ji said:

Your banking too much on the euro making a dramatic leap tonight for Thursday

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Not banking on anything...I have no control over it.  I do suspect it will come north some from 12z but if it doesn't I will still go to sleep and wake up in the morning just the same.  

54 minutes ago, yoda said:

06z GFS continues banging the drum on a sig ice storm for the region

NAM looking icy too.

Outside of far western areas, where the combo of higher qpf/colder surface temps will coincide, a legit ice storm doesn't seem very likely. The general character of this event looks like some snow/sleet at that start, then zr, and for the lowlands, turning to plain rain.

Euro overdid the snow on a marginal event close in awhile back that ended up a nothing burger. I suspect it's smoking that same crack here. NAM seems more realistic...guess I will have to walk down steps without holding the handrails again. Wish me luck

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

His overview of the event sounds surprisingly accurate and underhyped.

Famous last words, but I feel like the forecast, for my yard at least, is fairly stable. Couple-few hours of decent snow Monday evening, then some sleet, probably ended by quite a long time of light rain with temps between 30-34. 

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Famous last words, but I feel like the forecast, for my yard at least, is fairly stable. Couple-few hours of decent snow Monday evening, then some sleet, probably ended by quite a long time of light rain with temps between 30-34. 

well if its 30-31 wouldn't be -FRZA?  ;)

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

12z NAM is warm upstairs as the precip comes in, but it cools to right around 0c at 850 as the precip gets going. Probably snow/sleet before it transitions to freezing rain/rain.

Its even pretty good over here, and has the best area of front end snow in extreme NE MD. SE PA, into NJ. Interesting. Hints of some drier air from the NE and some evap cooling maybe.

Just now, CAPE said:

12z NAM is warm upstairs as the precip comes in, but it cools to right around 0c at 850 as the precip gets going. Probably snow/sleet before it transitions to freezing rain/rain.

Its even pretty good over here, and has the best area of snow in extreme NE MD. SE PA, into NJ. Interesting.

Yeah, 850s bump north into PA but then drop back a bit w the arrival of heavier precip. Starting to key in on at least some front end frozen before light rain.