Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 25th Wintry Mix Obs and Nowcasting

stormtracker

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

How the hell did that happen with that earlier look

I don’t like that progression. This is getting more complicated. I like simple. Throw some WAA at cold. Easy. We win in easy. The more we lose the cold in front and have to rely on complicated steps ugh...  that said the gfs is still a pinball. Even the NAM which we would expect to be amped at 84 has way less ridging. 
D6CF533B-152B-45C3-8DEB-6FA24C9326FE.gif.ba35a0953eb28504915dd3c4c2465dfe.gif

Lets hope for less ridging and a colder trend in front and the “simple” option imo. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t like that progression. This is getting more complicated. I like simple. Throw some WAA at cold. Easy. We win in easy. The more we lose the cold in front and have to rely on complicated steps ugh...  that said the gfs is still a pinball. Even the NAM which we would expect to be amped at 84 has way less ridging. 
D6CF533B-152B-45C3-8DEB-6FA24C9326FE.gif.ba35a0953eb28504915dd3c4c2465dfe.gif

Lets hope for less ridging and a colder trend in front and the “simple” option imo. 

We all know how waiting on the cold to sink south works around here lol.

I'd rather have the thump to mix to dry slot type deal.

Or better yet have the Euro beginning and the Gfs ending and call it a day lol.

• Like 2

We all know how waiting on the cold to sink south works around here lol.
I'd rather have the thump to mix to dry slot type deal.

Or better yet have the Euro beginning and the Gfs ending and call it a day lol.
Won't the cold already be here? This is a weekend with high of 52

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

As I mentioned earlier with the GFS/GEFS, it seems like that group raises heights in front in turn for the system to come in and change over to snow at the end. The Euro/EPS likes none of this idea. I'd imagine the general DC area would fare better with the GFS option, as 850s crash to -3 with moderate precip still in the area. With the Euro, the WAA was as borderline as you could get, snowing at 0/-1 850s. 

Here's the EPS' precip depiction as the system leaves us

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-ma-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-1684000.thumb.png.347fca41d84bf3923e86dd4e13d198b2.png

Meanwhile, the GEFS has a fair bit more precip. 

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-ma-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-1662400.thumb.png.58799a1d7be1544884982a45d89268c8.png

Watch for this trend either on the ops or the ensembles. Given the blocking, we could totally score on an icy mix to snow scenario, especially in comparison to the torched WAA start. If only we had Arctic air in place..

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I'm not sure I'd give weight to ensemble thermals at this point.  

The big thing though is that this is trending on all guidance, even ops. Perhaps once we get into 3k or 12k NAM range that the WAA trends in our favor, but as of now we're probably losing that part of the storm. At the same time, it's GFS/GEFS vs everything else for giving us a decent WWA level event on the backend of the storm, but I guess we gotta hope for that. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

The big thing though is that this is trending on all guidance, even ops. Perhaps once we get into 3k or 12k NAM range that the WAA trends in our favor, but as of now we're probably losing that part of the storm. At the same time, it's GFS/GEFS vs everything else for giving us a decent WWA level event on the backend of the storm, but I guess we gotta hope for that. 

I’ve never seen a backend event go well. We often get shafted.   It’s often painful no matter how well it’s presented before hand.  

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I'm not sure I'd give weight to ensemble thermals at this point.  

I hear that and you’re not entirely wrong. But we’re losing more ground each wobble then gaining back. 12z Eps shifted south on track but thermals were meh. 18z went the wrong way on both. Still wouldn’t be surprised if things trend toward a weaker more suppressed solution; but it hasn’t yet.

• Like 3

Just now, WxUSAF said:

I hear that and you’re not entirely wrong. But we’re losing more ground each wobble then gaining back. 12z Eps shifted south on track but thermals were meh. 18z went the wrong way on both. Still wouldn’t be surprised if things trend toward a weaker more suppressed solution; but it hasn’t yet.

Don’t our odds of temps crashing on the back and turning all to snow increase if the system is stronger?