• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 24-26th Something Potential

Chicago Storm

Good evening y'all, just got back from the office a bit ago. Fun shift. Would be happy to answer any LOT specific questions if anyone has any. Regarding who's working in the lead up, I'll be back on evenings with Ratzer tomorrow through Monday and I expect I'll probably be doing evening update AFDs. Our midnight crew is the same as last night (Carlaw and Kluber) and it'll be them through the event. Dayshifts will be MTF and Petr. We should be in good hands. Glad that we stayed the course with the most consistent guidance in terms of our forecast lean and messaging in light of guidance trends already for 18z cycle. Here's to a good 00z cycle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RCNYILWX said:

Good evening y'all, just got back from the office a bit ago. Fun shift. Would be happy to answer any LOT specific questions if anyone has any. Regarding who's working in the lead up, I'll be back on evenings with Ratzer tomorrow through Monday and I expect I'll probably be doing evening update AFDs. Our midnight crew is the same as last night (Carlaw and Kluber) and it'll be them through the event. Dayshifts will be MTF and Petr. We should be in good hands. Glad that we stayed the course with the most consistent guidance in terms of our forecast lean and messaging in light of guidance trends already for 18z cycle. Here's to a good 00z cycle.

Thanks for the update.  Any discussion on mixing issues near the lake?  Or southern sections?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Getting excited for this one. Good 00z cycle will really pump the hype train. Especially if the euro doubles down and the GFS continues the NW ticks 

• Like 1

over/under on likelihood of event caliber that allows you to write a special post event article?

https://www.weather.gov/lot/2011blizzard

Getting close to 100% for a top news story barring a horrible crapping the bed of this setup, since we do event pages even for light to moderate events. Chances for a historic event we'll be talking about years from now and be updating for anniversaries, let's say 10% right now. I don't want to rule it out, because at this lead time from GHD II, I can't recall anyone thinking historic amounts were in the offing, and we'll certainly have the moisture in place if it all works out right. 

For us starving Chicagoland snow enthusiasts, even getting it to perform to something like the EPS and GEFS ensemble means will be a feat in and of itself and I think it will be a fondly remembered event even if it's not historic.

Edit: And speaking of the GHD I page, we're hoping to be able to update it to our current tabbed interface and add some new images such as a recreation of the snow amounts using our current graphics generation software for the 10 year anniversary. If anyone has suggestions for additions to that page, let me know in a PM or in the new past snowstorms thread.

• Like 6