Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 24-26th Something Potential

Chicago Storm

@RCNYILWX

"Stay tuned for latest updates, in particular for late Sunday night- Monday night, which may have the ingredients to potentially make it largest and most impactful event in at least a couple winters, if everything comes together."

Love your AFD details, they are the highlight of my 4 PM each day when a potential storm is out there. All I want is a storm with nothing liquid falling from the sky, it's a simple wish.

Looking forward to the future updates. You rock. 

• Like 2

Just now, weathafella said:

I just don’t see the euro having been pretty consistent with only minor shifts for 2 days being wrong here.  I’ve been through this nonsense with the GFS in every major system over the past 15 years it seems.

I hope you're right. This storm could really be something if everything goes right just for once 

Patiently watching this one unfold. Seasonal trends for the past two years warn me it still could shear out into a pile of garbage. Worst case scenario would be the precip associated with the wave on Saturday night missing north into Wisconsin, then the main low Sunday>Monday being suppressed with little wintry precip even downstate. Liking where I sit, but we've really been through the ringer with events not coming together the past two years.

• Like 2

Just now, tuanis said:

Patiently watching this one unfold. Seasonal trends for the past two years warn me it still could shear out into a pile of garbage. Worst case scenario would be the precip associated with the wave on Saturday night missing north into Wisconsin, then the main low Sunday>Monday being suppressed with little wintry precip even downstate. Liking where I sit, but we've really been through the ringer with events not coming together the past two years.

Couldn't agree more. Hard not to see that nightmare scenario work out and we get completely shafted. Nerve-wracking. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Oh you'd be surprised

Yeah it's been a tough few years with medium range mirages.  That being said, gotta feel optimistic about this being a good one, if not here then nearby.  

Also, when we have this model lineup with the foreign runs against the NAM/GFS, it sure seems like the foreign models tend to do better more often than not.  That should be cause for optimism for those around Chicagoland and a bit north.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I just don’t see the euro having been pretty consistent with only minor shifts for 2 days being wrong here.  I’ve been through this nonsense with the GFS in every major system over the past 15 years it seems.

I can name at least three systems just this winter that were pegged as big dogs on the Euro (even a day or two out!) for NE Indiana  only to fizzle into sloppy, wet, utterly forgettable snow showers.

Of course, I live in Fort Wayne, IN, a place where storms come to die a swift and painless death.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah it's been a tough few years with medium range mirages.  That being said, gotta feel optimistic about this being a good one, if not here then nearby.  

Also, when we have this model lineup with the foreign runs against the NAM/GFS, it sure seems like the foreign models tend to do better more often than not.  That should be cause for optimism for those around Chicagoland and a bit north.

mmm. I don't disagree, but then again I've been irrationally bullish this event for some time now.

Nice to come home at the end of the day and see 6 new pages to read in a storm thread, been awhile!  Don't have much to add since everything's been pointed out but I'm happy to see the Euro/UK on the same page.  GFS like an old drunk still trying to perform like it did in the past, but just flails around miserably lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

High ratio 3-6” of WAA snow across much of Minnesota on Saturday. Let’s see how that unfolds as it could be a precursor to this storms evolution. After last weeks burn I’m not putting much faith in the medium term. 

Airmass was marginal with the last one. You'll be fine this go around

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tuanis said:

ban.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, WxMatt21 said:

I can name at least three systems just this winter that were pegged as big dogs on the Euro (even a day or two out!), only to fizzle into sloppy, wet, utterly forgettable snow showers.

Of course, I live in Fort Wayne, IN, a place where storms come to die a swift and painless death.

Please refresh my memory lol because I do not remember any big storms 2 days out that fizzled.  Last Winter I do remember that the November 11th snowstorm over performed, the January 18th thump performed as expected and I do not remember what was forecast for the February 26th snow although looks like that was your last legit big dog mirage. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Please refresh my memory lol because I do not remember any big storms 2 days out that fizzled.  Last Winter I do remember that the November 11th snowstorm over performed, the January 18th thump performed as expected and I do not remember what was forecast for the February 26th snow although looks like that was your last legit big dog mirage. 

Well, the most recent one was the ice event on New Year's Day. Euro consistently had 0.50"+ of ice accretion not only days ahead of the event, but on the day itself! 

Then the December 2nd event where the Euro painted a stripe of 7"+ for Northern Indiana about a day or two leading up to the event. We ended with about an inch. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxMatt21 said:

Well, the most recent one was the ice event on New Year's Day. Euro consistently had 0.50"+ of ice accretion not only days ahead of the event, but on the day itself! 

Then the December 2nd event where the Euro painted a stripe of 7"+ for Northern Indiana about a day or two leading up to the event. We ended with about an inch. 

I do remember the ice failing, I thought you were just talking about snow. As for December 2nd are you thinking of the storm that went to Eastern Ohio and hit the Eastern part of the sub? Or something different?  That pounded Cleveland with almost 10" and was actually my biggest snow of the season so far with 4.3" on the Western edge.  Of course model placement always sucks more than a few days out lol. Hopefully this one delivers.

• Like 1