Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 24-26th Something Potential

Chicago Storm

"QUICKLY BY A LOW COMING FROM TEXAS, BUT LATEST RUNS INDICATE THIS   
SECOND LOW PRESSURE WILL REMAIN FURTHER SOUTH, BUT CONFIDENCE ON   
THIS TRACK IS PRESENTLY NOT HIGH, AND THERE REMAINS A CHANCE THAT   
THIS LOW TRACKS A BIT FURTHER NORTH, THREATENING THE SOUTHERN   
COUNTIES WITH ANOTHER ROUND OF SNOW THROUGHOUT MONDAY."  looks like we have a GFS hugger in the LOT office. :cory:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hoosier said:

When I look at the op runs, ensembles, overall setup/realistic track window, this is perhaps the best synoptic potential in the LOT cwa in a good 5 years.  Perhaps and potential being the key words though as there's still plenty that can go wrong.

Be still, my heart 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

When I look at the op runs, ensembles, overall setup/realistic track window, this is perhaps the best synoptic potential in the LOT cwa in a good 5 years.  Perhaps and potential being the key words though as there's still plenty that can go wrong.

Plus it leaves us plenty of time to line up GHD III

• Like 3

Can clearly see why the 12z ECMWF and GFS tracks are so wildly different.

GFS has the northern vort max much further south, which prevents the southern piece of energy from propagating northeast and picking up gulf moisture. Instead, the southern vort gets sheared out upon ejection from the four corners region. This is not the case on the ECMWF.

image.thumb.png.63623e22deb7f1d82989dd372ca0b05e.png

image.thumb.png.e97742365e6564ea7e53523c7cd06fb4.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, blizzardof96 said:

Can clearly see why the 12z ECMWF and GFS tracks are so wildly different.

GFS has the northern vort max much further south, which prevents the southern piece of energy from propagating northeast and picking up gulf moisture. Instead, the southern vort gets sheared out upon ejection from the four corners region. This is not the case on the ECMWF.

Indeed. This is also the same reason the GEM is more amped and further north as well. The Ukie is actually not too far off as well, which is why it’s sort of the middle ground between the GEM/Euro and GFS.

Should point out the trend with the past few events was for the northern stream to be modeled too far south/potent several days out, only to end up further north/relaxed/less of influence as time went on and in reality. So with that said, I’d be less concerned about a well miss south, and more for a miss just north.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"QUICKLY BY A LOW COMING FROM TEXAS, BUT LATEST RUNS INDICATE THIS   
SECOND LOW PRESSURE WILL REMAIN FURTHER SOUTH, BUT CONFIDENCE ON   
THIS TRACK IS PRESENTLY NOT HIGH, AND THERE REMAINS A CHANCE THAT   
THIS LOW TRACKS A BIT FURTHER NORTH, THREATENING THE SOUTHERN   
COUNTIES WITH ANOTHER ROUND OF SNOW THROUGHOUT MONDAY."  looks like we have a GFS hugger in the LOT office. :cory:
That's one of our newer meteorologists, on a training shift. I'm working tomorrow and Friday on the day shifts. Not sure who will be doing what.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

That's one of our newer meteorologists, on a training shift. I'm working tomorrow and Friday on the day shifts. Not sure who will be doing what.

I notice that DTX always plays things very conservative when they are in the long range and keeps things very vague until closer to the event

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I thought you guys let Alek do a trial AFD for sh*ts and giggles. That said, path of least resistance given the prior  runs before  the 12Z Euro and Gem today isn't an unreasonable call.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Indeed. This is also the same reason the GEM is more amped and further north as well. The Ukie is actually not too far off as well, which is why it’s sort of the middle ground between the GEM/Euro and GFS.

Should point out the trend with the past few events was for the northern stream to be modeled too far south/potent several days out, only to end up further north/relaxed/less of influence as time went on and in reality. So with that said, I’d be less concerned about a well miss south, and more for a miss just north.

I'd buy that, a miss *just* north is plausible, but don't think much further north than the 12z Euro OP was advertising.

33 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Looking into things even further... The GFS also ejects out the whole 1st wave that comes into the West Coast tomorrow night. This 1st wave gets picked up by the northern stream, leading to the further south/potent northern stream in Canada/northern US, effectively suppressing the main ejection for Monday.

The Euro/GEM do not eject out the whole 1st wave, instead holding it mostly back in the West...with the 2nd wave then also moving into the West. Ejection occurs as a whole on the Euro/GEM, with the less potent/south northern stream.

• Like 1

Looking into things even further... The GFS also ejects out the whole 1st wave that comes into the West Coast tomorrow night. This 1st wave gets picked up by the northern stream, leading to the further south/potent northern stream in Canada/northern US, effectively suppressing the main ejection for Monday.

The Euro/GEM do not eject out the whole 1st wave, instead holding it mostly back in the West...with the 2nd wave then also moving into the West. Ejection occurs as a whole on the Euro/GEM, with the less potent/south northern stream.
Baby step at 500 mb on the 18z GFS, northern stream slower/not as potent/farther north.

I like where I am sitting on this, I do think it probably won't be as far north as the Euro Op, the Canadian actually had a pretty solid look and would be closer to where I think this ends up. Overall though this has a good shot at hitting a lot of people for their biggest storm of the season to this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

The “marginally cold air” part is not correct in this case.

21 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

For the first time this season there’s actually going to be a large reservoir of cold air nearby for the multi-wave period in question.

21 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Okay, I understand what you're saying. However, ORD is in a better position than FWA.  It still looks marginal to me for mby, at least until the last wave rolls through mid-late next week.

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

12z EPS Mean...

FFDFEB40-1825-4CB5-955B-C357A6F08FB9.thumb.png.2aed65a560a8a50a93699b4f0a07637e.png

As we discussed last night, I don't think the IWX forecaster was off base when he discussed marginal temps, at least for FWA.

I am seriously rooting for a Euro score for all of the posters in Iowa, No IL/ORD (including hoosier) and Detroit. I will enjoy my cold rain/ice/flakes. All of us Indiana posters south of US 30 will have to depend on the trailing wave to deliver.

2 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

As we discussed last night, I don't think the IWX forecaster was off base when he discussed marginal temps, at least for FWA.

I am seriously rooting for a Euro score for all of the posters in Iowa, No IL/ORD (including hoosier) and Detroit. I will enjoy my cold rain/ice/flakes. All of us Indiana posters south of US 30 will have to depend on the trailing wave to deliver.

Iowa has routinely scored, but, otherwise, agreed. 

• Like 1

Something else to watch... there's the possibility of a nice lake response on the western end of Lake Michigan to add to whatever synoptic amounts occur.  Not dealing with an extremely cold airmass by any means, but the warmth this winter has kept lake temps elevated.  If it works out, the lake enhancement could easily tack on several inches.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

I've got the gut feeling that I-70 area and well to the north will be mostly rain. It's still nice to see this type of setup with ample cold air for once. Feels like the classic winter storms we all love.

Yeah this has the traditional nina look to it, Ohio gets the rain.

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

I like where I am sitting on this, I do think it probably won't be as far north as the Euro Op, the Canadian actually had a pretty solid look and would be closer to where I think this ends up. Overall though this has a good shot at hitting a lot of people for their biggest storm of the season to this point.

Glad to see you on board