Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, and Other Green Stuff Thread

mattie g

On 9/6/2021 at 9:29 AM, Eskimo Joe said:

Thanks for posting this. I usually top my tomatoes around the end of September since there's still a good amount of growing happening until then. Only problem is that my plants have gone so nuts by that point that it's easy to miss some of the suckers that have grown out since I stopped trimming them!

13 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

The horrible annual cicadas have been the worse here I can remember.  I can't even enjoy sitting out on the deck with those ear-splitting things constantly screeching.  Anyone else notice them being worse than most year?  And is it related to the Brood X emergence earlier this summer?

They seem really loud this year, but I can’t tell whether I’m just hyper-sensitive to them now.

• 3 weeks later...

Harvested just shy of 4 lbs of mostly San Marzano Gigante and Jersey Devil tomatoes today. Will probably harvest about the same amount this weekend, most of which will be Pomodoro Squisito.

I’ve been impressed with the PS. They mature relatively slowly, but they remain viable for a long time on the vine and after harvest. The SMG and JD are definitely better sauce tomatoes, but the PS are great for a lot of uses.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 8:19 PM, mattie g said:

Harvested just shy of 4 lbs of mostly San Marzano Gigante and Jersey Devil tomatoes today. Will probably harvest about the same amount this weekend, most of which will be Pomodoro Squisito.

I’ve been impressed with the PS. They mature relatively slowly, but they remain viable for a long time on the vine and after harvest. The SMG and JD are definitely better sauce tomatoes, but the PS are great for a lot of uses.

I've harvested over 400 pounds of Better Boy tomatoes from 24 plants. Not bragging though lol

On 10/10/2021 at 8:56 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

Looking for a little advice on garlic. Does anyone have an opinion on hard or soft neck? Favorite varieties?

I prefer hardneck. I generally stick with Music since, aside from a couple years ago, I use cloves from the previous year for planting.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:12 AM, dailylurker said:

I've harvested over 400 pounds of Better Boy tomatoes from 24 plants. Not bragging though lol

Are you still harvesting? I've still got probably 25-30 lbs on the vine on my eight plants.

I generally don't weigh my tomatoes before processing, but I've filled 10 gallon bags with cored and seeded tomatoes at an average of 5.5 lbs per bag. That makes a nice amount of sauce over the winter, and the seven pints of smoked salsa I made a couple weeks ago with those things is worth every bit of the work that goes into going from seed to fruit!

• Like 1

Grass weenies…the last 2 weeks were pretty ideal for grass germination. I put some seed down before but as usual a lot didn’t take and I still have lots of weird bare spots. Did I miss the window now with real October returning Sunday? Or could I still seed and get it to start now?

33 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Grass weenies…the last 2 weeks were pretty ideal for grass germination. I put some seed down before but as usual a lot didn’t take and I still have lots of weird bare spots. Did I miss the window now with real October returning Sunday? Or could I still seed and get it to start now?

You’ve still got time. I’m aerating and seeding mine this week. I won’t rake my leaves though. I will just mow often.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you must still be digging out from under all the tomatoes.

It's that clean-up time of year and I'm gonna do a little plug...I mostly don't cut back/pull up flowers (and basil) for winter as seeds provide food for birds. Butterflies and moths etc overwinter in leaf/debris so I don't clean that up either, or rake leaves from everywhere. YMtotallyMV. If you can tolerate even one somewhat 'messy' area it helps the critters.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's still 2021, so...

On 11/20/2021 at 9:47 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

Just flood it. It’s a quick chore.

Lay the hose down in the middle of the area and turn it on for about five minutes. Sit on the patio and drink half a beer admiring your handiwork. Then, go back and check on it and wherever it’s soggy is done. Move the hose to the areas that aren’t soggy and do it again, including the beer. After a couple of times, you’ll figure out how the area is sloping and figure out the best placement of the hose.

In the heat of summer, I do this every day, but now you’ll probably only need to do it every three or four days. And don’t be afraid to walk on it when it’s soggy. It helps create good contact for the roots to get into the ground.

Sod seems to be doing OK so far. The neighbor watered it a couple times while we were gone, and I've watered it a few times since we got back. I'm also doing a quick walk-over after it gets watered.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Really sad performance by our garlic thus far. We've mulched and tented 3 rows of a hardy hardneck cultivar, but only 1 has a sprout. I'm concerned this abnormally warm weather has stunted things. We actually have tomato volunteers trying to come up in one bed. Never had this happen before.

That sucks. Have you been watering in this drier period? I've never had issues with not seeing garlic shoots after warmer temps. I normally plant right around Halloween, and in fact, I seem to recall that I've had bigger shoots than normal after warm Novembers.

But...you just inadvertently reminded me to water my garlic!

We planted about three weeks ago (a couple weeks later than normal), but I didn't water after planting since soil was still a little moist. Then we were out of town for a week and I totally forgot to water when we got back. I didn't poke around looking for initial shoots, but I hope the cloves didn't shrivel up!

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

That sucks. Have you been watering in this drier period? I've never had issues with not seeing garlic shoots after warmer temps. I normally plant right around Halloween, and in fact, I seem to recall that I've had bigger shoots than normal after warm Novembers.

We planted about three weeks ago (a couple weeks later than normal), but I didn't water after planting since soil was still a little moist. Then we were out of town for a week and I totally forgot to water when we got back. I didn't poke around looking for initial shoots, but I hope the cloves didn't shrivel up!

How's the new sod doing?

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Light watering <0.25" / week. Normally what we do with autumn/winter garlic.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

How's the new sod doing?

Mentioned above ;)

But yeah...seems to be doing OK. It's still green, which is certainly a good sign! I've been soaking it pretty good every 3-4 days and having a little walk on it afterwards.

I'm going to keep watering in intervals for as long as the weather permits. I just don't want to lose any of it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Mentioned above ;)

But yeah...seems to be doing OK. It's still green, which is certainly a good sign! I've been soaking it pretty good every 3-4 days and having a little walk on it afterwards.

I'm going to keep watering in intervals for as long as the weather permits. I just don't want to lose any of it!

How did I miss that??? B)